Tourist Visa to USA and Interview

My gf has an interview next Monday for a tourist visa for the USA.

The US site is fairly vague about what documents are required. Can anyone help who has been there before?

We haven't bought tickets but we do have an itinerary and she can show connection with Thailand, and that she has a job and more than enough money to support the trip.

Do they want to see proof of medical cover for example?

Thanks

My wife was in there yesterday for a tourist Visa that was declined. I can't tell you how pissed off I am. Married three years, living here 5 years on a retirement visa. She brought copies of land titles, marragaige certificate, motorbike green books, everything we could thing of. Paid the application charges, flight from Phuket, overnight stay, all a waste of time.

Here's the first question and the reason she was rejected: Do you own a house in Thailand? No.

The piece of paper she was handed says she was unable to demonstrate that your intended activities in the US are consistent with the classification of the nonimmigrant visa. Applicants must demonstrate that they will return by showing ties to work, school, family or social links. Todays decision cannot be appealed.

The most galling part for me is I've written on my blog and many places, how buying a place here in Thailand is a terrible financial decision yet it's the #1 decision making criteria for getting a visa.

A big middle finger salute to the good old USA.

Good luck

• Like 1

Mac

I really don't see what my status has to do with it. She is applying for the visa and has the neccessary money and ties in Thailand.

I just wanted to know if what docs she might supply to assist her application. (eg travel/medical insurance) and what happens after the interview - immediate confirmation or rejection or do you have to wait for the passport to come back to find out?

However, in case you know something I don't. I am UK citizen with VISA WAIVER STATUS. I am currently on contract teaching with permit which expires in May (when I will go back to Europe for 3 months) and then return to Thailand in September when we plan to go USA for holiday in October. I may or may not renew my work contract if not I will go for a retirement visa.

Thanks

I really don't see what my status has to do with it. She is applying for the visa and has the neccessary money and ties in Thailand.

She is going to have to provide documentation that demonstrates she has compelling reasons to return to Thailand.

In many cases your status in the US is very important. I take it your "Visa Waiver" status makes you a tourist. This may actually work out to your advantage.

What I have heard is that the documentation she needs to show at the consulate during the interview should be evidence that she absolutely does have compelling reasons to return to Thailand. FX. a thriving business that can't survive without her and which requires regular loan payments or she'll face forfeiture on the home(s) she owns... or FX. she is leaving her spouse and children behind with 2 houses and 400 rai of farmland all in her name, or she has a permanent resident visa in some EU country... or FX. A Thai lady doctor with a thriving clinic.

Use your imagination and conjecture what would be sufficient to convince a consular interviewer that she has a compelling reason to return to Thailand. My ex Thai wife (2nd) had a home in Europe and permanent resident status, and that was enough.

It's my understanding that having proof of sufficient funds is simply not enough.

• Like 2

Your status matters because it provides information on the purpose of her trip to the US.

The one issues that comes up a lot and probably affected Pinot above is that the US is particular about issuing tourist visas to spouses or fiancees of US citizens (they want you to get a K-1 or K-3 visa instead, which is a harder process than a tourist visa). The assumption in this case is that because you are married or will be married, your intention is for them to immigrate to the US, not to come on a short tour. You need to prove that this isn't the case. This can be difficult if you or her don't have a strong connection to Thailand. As was shown, a retirement visa isn't a strong connection because you could get up and leave back to the US tomorrow without much affect on your life. A work permit, where you have been employed for several years would be a strong connection to Thailand. On her side, family, immovable property, or any assets tied to Thailand can all contribute. So, motorbikes really don't matter because they are low value and could be sold and replaced easily, whereas a house matters because it is a much higher value and less marketable or replaceable if sold.

As a non-US citizen/greencard holder, the marriage/immigration issue should be less, but she will still need to prove a strong connection to Thailand.

Do you think a picture of her 97 year old mother who is still alive would help? (she wouldn't leave her for more than a month)

She can show deeds for house and additional land and she works for the government.

Finally she has been to Europe (Shenghen and UK visas) 3 times (for a month each time(with me)) and come back.

Do you think a picture of her 97 year old mother who is still alive would help? (she wouldn't leave her for more than a month)

She can show deeds for house and additional land and she works for the government.

Finally she has been to Europe (Shenghen and UK visas) 3 times (for a month each time(with me)) and come back.

I'm not an expert. You should try to get inside the head of the consular official who will be looking for documentary evidence that she has which will show reasons that will compel her to return to Thailand. (In this case compel = force her to return, even if she fancied staying.)

FX. She must keep her job in order to earn enough money to pay for her 97 y/o mother's medical care. FX. She must keep her job to keep up the loan payments on the mortgages on her lands and houses or face losing it all.

Those Shengan visas should help, however they do not demonstrate a compelling reason to return, rather only a pattern of habitually returning. Thus, they won't cut it.

OP: Think of reasons why she absolutely MUST return to Thailand, Then document it. Most of the Thai people I know who got tourist visas for the USA either already had permanent resident visas in other G7 countries or left behind in Thailand husbands/wives, children, businesses etc.... all situations where any reasonable person would see there was absolutely no way in hell they could remain in the US.

Sorry, this is a tough nut to crack.

Negita43

Quite often the interviewing Consular officer will look at the passport of the farang boyfriend to see what his status is here in Thailand. The assumption being that if he's going to return, then it's likely the girlfriend will return with him.

I reckon it's a plus that you're a Brit, and not that likely yourself to go underground in the U.S.....

So, I'd recommend she also take your passport along, the original, not a copy, to show upfront to the ConOff. She should take your Work Permit, too.

Mac

No you dont need insurance or a ticket. She should be familiar with travel plans. She should provide your documents showing you are permanently living in Thailand and that you have no intention of staying in the usa as well as her ties to thailand. You should provide a letter supporting her ties with you and Thailand. They will approve or disapprove on the spot. They will not tell you if she qualified for a 10 year. On my letter i nicely asked for a 10 year and was rewarded one.

Remember the less ties with the usa the better. Get there at least 45 minutes before your appointment.

Thanks every body - I think I'll tie her to a very long elastic band!

Let you know on Monday.

Believe it or not, the B-visa (tourist or business) rejection rate for Thailand is only 10% (http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/refusalratelanguage.pdf, note that this is refusal rate for non-visa waiver entries, so for countries with visa waivers, the rejection rate is artificially high, e.g Australia at 20%). So, while it is not a sure thing, its not like they are denying most everyone that is walking through the door.

Let you know on Monday.

Believe it or not, the B-visa (tourist or business) rejection rate for Thailand is only 10% (http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/refusalratelanguage.pdf, note that this is refusal rate for non-visa waiver entries, so for countries with visa waivers, the rejection rate is artificially high, e.g Australia at 20%). So, while it is not a sure thing, its not like they are denying most everyone that is walking through the door.

I highly doubt that 10% rate is applicable to Thailand

Let you know on Monday.

Follow the link; at the end, there are links to the yearly rejection rate by country. Thailand is consistently at 10-15%.

Or, are you implying that the US State Department is providing false information around the visa refusal rates?

Negita43

Quite often the interviewing Consular officer will look at the passport of the farang boyfriend to see what his status is here in Thailand. The assumption being that if he's going to return, then it's likely the girlfriend will return with him.

I reckon it's a plus that you're a Brit, and not that likely yourself to go underground in the U.S.....

So, I'd recommend she also take your passport along, the original, not a copy, to show upfront to the ConOff. She should take your Work Permit, too.

Mac

It never really got beyond the not owning a house question. They weren't really interested in seeing anything, certainly not my passport. I have a retirement visa. She doesn't work. We just don't have many ways to prove we're coming back.

I don't care at this point. I'm disappointed for her.

Let you know on Monday.

Follow the link; at the end, there are links to the yearly rejection rate by country. Thailand is consistently at 10-15%.

Or, are you implying that the US State Department is providing false information around the visa refusal rates?

Ummm, yea, I am.

• Like 1

Negita43

Mac

That was ABSOLUTELY the case in the one time past that I applied for a GF's tourist visa to the U.S.

She had copies of my multiple years of retirement visas in her paperwork package, but the consulate officer apparently couldn't find them and my GF at the time apparently failed to point the officer to them, and they ended up denying her supposedly on that basis.

I believe the thinking is -- they want to know if the farang involved has an established, long-term residence in Thailand, meaning you're not likely to do a relocation to the U.S. for marriage while she's on a tourist visa.

I would make photocopies of your passport and immigration status here for her package, and then give her your passport to carry inside for the interview, just in case.

BTW, based on my past experience, yes, they inform the applicant at the conclusion of the visit whether the visa is being granted or not. You'll know on the spot.

Also, if she's other than self-employed, a letter from her employer supporting the trip, saying how long she's worked there and granting her leave from her job is another kind of document that can help.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I would guess -- just from observing on flights -- that the majority of US Tourist visas issued to Thai citizens are for participants in Tour group packages and not for individual Thai females who have some affiliation marriage or otherwise with a male US citizen.

Edited by JLCrab

Negita43

Mac

That was ABSOLUTELY the case in the one time past that I applied for a GF's tourist visa to the U.S.

She had copies of my multiple years of retirement visas in her paperwork package, but the consulate officer apparently couldn't find them and my GF at the time apparently failed to point the officer to them, and they ended up denying her supposedly on that basis.

I believe the thinking is -- they want to know if the farang involved has an established, long-term residence in Thailand, meaning you're not likely to do a relocation to the U.S. for marriage while she's on a tourist visa.

I would make photocopies of your passport and immigration status here for her package, and then give her your passport to carry inside for the interview, just in case.

BTW, based on my past experience, yes, they inform the applicant at the conclusion of the visit whether the visa is being granted or not. You'll know on the spot.

Also, if she's other than self-employed, a letter from her employer supporting the trip, saying how long she's worked there and granting her leave from her job is another kind of document that can help.

This is absolutely the case in our application. I actually stacked the documents in a specific order and on top the primary ones were my status. She had a physical copy of my passport and lots of information showing that i reside in Thailand permanently. They didnt even look at her bank statements or any of her supporting docs. They kept my letter and copies of my passport and returned everything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody for your help and advice

She went for the interview last Monday - they didn't want to see the suitcase full of supporting documents (slight exageration) she had.They asked a couple of questions about her trips to Europe and me.

She didn't think to ask (being Thai) if she had a visa or not then and there so we had to wait till Friday when the passport came back with her 10 year USA visa - more than mine on a Visa waiver (2 years).

Stressful but painless.

Thanks again

• Like 2

Thanks everybody for your help and advice

She went for the interview last Monday - they didn't want to see the suitcase full of supporting documents (slight exageration) she had.They asked a couple of questions about her trips to Europe and me.

She didn't think to ask (being Thai) if she had a visa or not then and there so we had to wait till Friday when the passport came back with her 10 year USA visa - more than mine on a Visa waiver (2 years).

Stressful but painless.

Thanks again

Congratulations!

wow. Seems a bit contradictory for what some people would want. Some want to sponsor or even pay for their Thai GF to come and visit America, live with him for a few months, see what life, his work hours, etc, might really be like. Maybe even experience a seasonal weather change depending on the time of year and the State. But the concensus here seems to be that the visit visa is less likely under the cases where the USA person goes to the USA and was only in Thailand visiting. I can understand the rationale of the USA person living or retiring in Thailand being more conducive to a USA visa visit approval, but I can argue both ways. And my arguments don't matter. It is up to the State Department reps

One of the Consulate's Thai staff may do a pre-screening of the application and ask a few questions but this is just to make sure all required info is present.

The actual interview is done by an American Foreign Service officer who has had up to 44 weeks of Thai language training before the assignment to Bangkok. They should be able to speak and understand Thai pretty well at this stage, reading, however, varies as that's a tad more difficult.

Often you'll find junior consular officers on the visa desks as this is part of their rotational program through the various sections of the embassy. There's also more seasoned ConOffs doing the deed, too.

I note that there's an option to have the interview done in either Thai or English, up to the interviewee.

FYI, my now wife will be up for a new tourist visa later this year. She's previously had four visas, two short-termers and two 10-year visas. This'll be the first time she'll go by herself as early one I was allowed under the old rules to accompany her to the interview window. And, I was the one interviewed with a few Qs, not her, the ConOff wanted to see my passport and the string of retirement extensions I had. Only one Q for her, "Do you have any relatives in the U.S.?" No, done deal.

Mac

is the person doing the embassy interview American or Thai ?

and do they speak and read Thai ?

I think that would matter as far as which Docs to have and which language.....

or be like the millions of Mexicans and just sneak in !

my wifes interview was in thai by a thai {maybe thai American}.