Thai opinion: Our prime minister deserves every chance to make it work

webfact

Wow, TV members (presumably mostly westerners) are really a democracy-loving bunch, judging from most of the comments posted here.

Just a few points for them to ponder:

- In the West, (liberal) democracy has replaced religion as the dominant world view, including its missionary zeal.

- Democracy is a means to an end. Most posters here appear to think it is an end in itself.

- Can anyone say with absolute certainty that the country would not have descended into civil war without a coup?

A last point to ponder for my fellow Western guests in Thailand: In the US (and to a lesser degree in the EU) the oligarchy controls the government; in China (and much of the East), the government controls the oligarchy.

No wonder the freedom-loving Western electorate has, over the past 25 years, consistently, voted for governments that have increased inequality and have gone to war Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya....

• Like 1

Prime ministers are ordinarily elected by the people, and as such this legitimacy gives them the right to have the time to do their job.

This hardly applies to this prime minister does it now. His legitimacy comes from a gun.

Well the gun gives you also a lot rights......

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wow, TV members (presumably mostly westerners) are really a democracy-loving bunch, judging from most of the comments posted here.

- In the West, (liberal) democracy has replaced religion as the dominant world view, including its missionary zeal.

- Democracy is a means to an end. Most posters here appear to think it is an end in itself.

- Can anyone say with absolute certainty that the country would not have descended into civil war without a coup?

A last point to ponder for my fellow Western guests in Thailand: In the US (and to a lesser degree in the EU) the oligarchy controls the government; in China (and much of the East), the government controls the oligarchy.

No wonder the freedom-loving Western electorate has, over the past 25 years, consistently, voted for governments that have increased inequality and have gone to war Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya....

if the army would have stopped the PDRC from infringing the workings of he Government and blocking elections. I see no reason for a coup , but for those with their own agenda , ie hating the Shinawatras , that would not be enough

Lets see in 5 years if the country is fairer and the poor are better off. I think not

Edited by ExPratt

Aww man, just when you thought The Nation were waking up and starting to ask questions, they post this lop sided drivel

"This one honest man, whose straight and aboveboard talk has often got him in hot water, one without a huge ego, one who can apologise, one who is willing to listen ..."

Umm yes his straight talking has insulted people, he apologized to the parents of the murdered tourists on koh tao probably cos somebody told him to and he is only willing to listen to people that agree with him and his putsch. Anyone that disagrees with him is told "don't disagree, you are not helping, you will be attitude adjusted" "Don't ask me difficult questions, or I'll punch you"

But of course there will be the traditional elites and naive farangs licking his boots.

• Like 1

What if indeed. What if Taksin had put the interest of the country above his own. He may have awoken the political consciousness of many Thais, but taking billions out of the country - while perhaps not illegal - was a strategic blunder that gave the opposition an opening. What a missed opportunity. He could have become a Václav Havel but became a Berlusconi.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

if the army would have stopped the PDRC from infringing the workings of he Government and blocking elections. I see no reason for a coup , but for those with their own agenda , ie hating the Shinawatras , that would not be enough

Lets see in 5 years if the country is fairer and the poor are better off. I think not

What if indeed. What if Taksin had put the interest of the country above his own. He may have awoken the political consciousness of many Thais, but taking billions out of the country - while perhaps not illegal - was a strategic blunder that gave the opposition an opening. What a missed opportunity. He could have become a Václav Havel but became a Berlusconi.

Very true , I think politics here is extremely partisan and its all about 1 side dominating the other. Probably half of what he is accused of is true and probably the same for the Juntas true agenda. Shame really

In regard to both the USA and European Union, where is their comment on the lack of democracy in both Singapore and Malaysia?

Allow me to comment about Malaysia and Singapore having lived there for considerable length of time. Both lacking in real freedom of speech and both guilty of using the courts to stifle oppositions. Their ISA is a questionable democratic method. They will face the people wrath in the next election and the corrupted Najib BN will be severely tested. The process will be very democratic and it's the people's mandate to oust the corrupted. Singapore PAP better keep their ear to the ground or they too will lose support. For certain no coup as the people in both countries know the costs and the fall-out and will never tolerated a military takeover.

• Like 1

Prime ministers are ordinarily elected by the people, and as such this legitimacy gives them the right to have the time to do their job.

This hardly applies to this prime minister does it now. His legitimacy comes from a gun.

Well the gun gives you also a lot rights......

Maybe they should put in the constitution that everyone can have one.

Would make it a lot more complicated to have a coup

Great article, and I actually agree with it. Again for you

mass of people who have never or will never, support this PM.

Did all of you support the last PM, while she and her bunch botched

a lot of stuff while she was in power. Did all of you support her brother

when he was in his power and glory days!

Did any of you get paid to give him or his sister your vote, because

that is not a true and real democracy, but only one that was bought and

paid for. Did you all support Mr. Thaksin , knowing full well that

he did not show much respect at all for the Royal family, but you are all

growling at the present PM who has the utmost respect, and is not afraid to

show that he does. I just do not get you people who seem to think that

Ms. Yingluck was some sort of a savior of Thailand, and that the

present PM is not.

I guess that really shows where you all stand, all right.

Maybe it is all that hot weather in Thailand that affects the

thinking process! Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

present PM is not.

Yes we don't stand with the Fascists and quite obviously you do

Thanks, how true that is.

• Like 1

I agree and he has the chance NOW. If he delivers results and makes Thailand a better place for ALL Thais, he will have the support of all Thais AND by western countries obsessed with democracy. If he chose to do like previous thai prime ministers and junta leaders, to serve only the Bangkok elite and military, and thus neglecting the rest of the Thai people, then he is in for a rough ride with pressure from within and outside.

But let him have the chance now. Thailand didn't need more democracy, but an HONEST and CAPABLE man who has the military backing to force unpopular but necessary reforms and to confront members of the elite.

So far the score is B-. Not bad, but he needs to step up the game. He has the chance of becoming a true Thai hero if he succeeds.

present PM is not.

I never stood with YS or Thaksin, although at least they were elected by some kind of democratic vote- process.

Which is tons more, than you could say about the current government!

I never did support the blatant nepotism and the corruption, the human rights issues etc.etc. of the Shin- governments, but sure as the sun rises in the East, I will never support the blatant nepotism, the corruption, the human rights issues etc.etc. of the reigning military junta as well.

It quiet obviously shows, where I stand, yes!

And all that you just wrote clearly shows where you stand...and I hope, that is very far away from me!

Thank you very much!

A dictator laying strong foundations for democracy? I'm no political analyst but isn't that a bit like saying a guy with ten wives is laying strong foundations for monogamy?

Edited by Kaalle