How to find a proper 180hp+ track bike in Thailand

Jamesht

Has anyone got a phone number of someone who speaks English at a dealership where I can buy a brand new super bike in bkk or pattaya to use for the track? I can't get a straight answer over here on availability and people in bike shop dont know anything about bikes so I'm sick of calling around as I know less now than 15 phone calls ago or after visiting many bike shops.

I got through to an English speaking bmw dealer and the waiting list for the 1000 is July! Then with much difficulty found out cbr and Kawasaki only put out 130hp in Thailand.

I want to get either a 2015 bmw (i have all the bmw race gear already) or the new r1. Or maybe someone has a near new track bike with 180hp+ message me if it has proper paperwork

All the bikes at Red Baron are imports from the US and are full power.

Is it not possible to buy a bike delivered here with full power? Imports generally have a bad rep even if there brought in new when it comes to sellin them

Not all models are sold here- you can get a 200hp ZX-14R (not what you want for the track) through Kawasaki Thailand, but they don't sell the ZX-10R and it's only available through an importer. Honda Thailand only sells restricted CBR1000RR models. You can get a full-power GSXR1000R through Suzuki Thailand or (older model) R1 through Yamaha (no word when or if they'll carry the new model)- you already know about BMW, and Ducati Thailand is still selling the 1199 Panigale and has no immediate plan to sell the new 1299 (they told me maybe next year). A KTM RC8 would be an interesting option, as would an MV Agusta, but they're pricey and I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of repairing a track get-off due to the limited dealer network.

Depending on the model you want, an importer might be your only option as the literbike market is pretty thin in LOS, and there's really no way to bring a bike in yourself.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

You can pre order all the latest literbikes through importers as RSD mentioned already; mostly prices compared to official dealers are cheaper but service and warranty could be harder/ worse than through official dealers. Nowadays many of the super car importers in los also imports superbikes - if you need contacts let me know.

On the other hand if you looking for a track bike only you still have the options with older grey imports which are not registred; due no registration they are much cheaper. But you should know about bikes as they can be in tricky conditions; mostly imported in parts and reassmbled by "someone" here.

Edited by Hili

Following this post with interest as I have been chasing a track bike for a while, I am looking at importing a motor , shock, forks and system fron oz and buying a invoice bike here as the prices on new bikes are probihitive.

Rob

Thanks rsd! Good bit of info there. Another effort trying to call Suzuki and ktm dealers today which amounted to very little (blood diamond TIA this is Africa) TIT this is Thailand lol. You need a lot of patience to even attempt to get anything done here makes me wonder how I'll go getting tires changed suspension set up or even services regularly.

The zx10 had 189hp which is more than enough but still 11hp short of the full version plus it's an import which is not my cup of tea.

1 Yamaha dealer told me the new r1 is 870,000 which is fine and makes the zx10 seem even worse but he had no info on specs and I'm not familiar with r1. The Red Baron guy said the R1 m version is 1.4 mil cause of electronic suspension but even over here that seems awfully expensive for basically a road set up etc

I'd like to use the next few months of my time at the track enjoying joy sharing it with 160 other riders for a change but it all seems to hard so I might go to the motor show and see if can order the r1 or maybe suck it up and wait for the bmw as i know it's a quality bike and I have spares for it. Maybe something will pop up in the meantime.

Someone asked which tracks you plan on riding- other than the new circuit in Buriram, there really aren't any where you can exploit the power of a literbike- if you plan to pull double-duty and ride on the street as well a 1000cc would be a good choice, but for a dedicated track bike you can find some decent 600cc bikes where you won't shed too many tears if they hit the deck. Motorcycles at ~1mil baht are kind of pricey (and oftentimes unnecessary) to risk on the track, even if your pockets are pretty deep- there are some good bikes on the used market that are ideal for the track.

I believe TV member yankee99 is looking to sell his CBR600RR.

• Like 1

Yeah valid points about not needing a 1000 for track but I used to race an R1 15 years ago straight from motorcross. the 600 is always an economical track bike especially when a rear road tyre lasts one day at the track Dunlop slicks seem to wear better on bmw.

I'm 191cm and 95kg not sure how smaller 600 are!

Atm I have no urge to ride anything more than a scooter on the road but never say never which is why i prefer to just get a 1000 in case I end of putting it back into road trim. Plus I just like the hp lol

Bira is close and it's quite so I have not thought to far ahead of just getting a bike and starting there. Just wish I could of shipped my track bike here so much easier

post-234356-0-12011200-1426164377_thumb.

• Like 1

I get the horsepower thing (I've got a ZX-14R), but on a track like Bira a literbike will be overkill. You should probably do a couple of rental track days to get a feel for it- I wouldn't risk a brand-new S1000RR on it. While Pattaya and Bangkok mostly suck for riding, there are nearby roads that make a fast streetbike worthwhile- if I were you, I'd buy the newest/latest/fastest for the street, and get something smaller to flog on the track. We're about the same size- a 600cc is small but workable for your frame (though I wouldn't want to do a 1000km day on one).;)

• Like 1

I get the horsepower thing (I've got a ZX-14R), but on a track like Bira a literbike will be overkill. You should probably do a couple of rental track days to get a feel for it- I wouldn't risk a brand-new S1000RR on it. While Pattaya and Bangkok mostly suck for riding, there are nearby roads that make a fast streetbike worthwhile- if I were you, I'd buy the newest/latest/fastest for the street, and get something smaller to flog on the track. We're about the same size- a 600cc is small but workable for your frame (though I wouldn't want to do a 1000km day on one).;)

I been out to Bira a few times not seen the rental bikes but I actually wanted to hire one first as the heat here is a bit brutal and iv packed it in a few times at Phillip island when's it's been 34 degrees. Plus suss out the track as less hp is sometimes more fun. I'm not really a road rider even on good roads I just don't enjoy it much anymore but good advice about the rental bike now I just have to wait 2 weeks for my gear to get here

Someone asked which tracks you plan on riding- other than the new circuit in Buriram, there really aren't any where you can exploit the power of a literbike- if you plan to pull double-duty and ride on the street as well a 1000cc would be a good choice, but for a dedicated track bike you can find some decent 600cc bikes where you won't shed too many tears if they hit the deck. Motorcycles at ~1mil baht are kind of pricey (and oftentimes unnecessary) to risk on the track, even if your pockets are pretty deep- there are some good bikes on the used market that are ideal for the track.

Kaeng Krachan possibly as well. The blast up the hill after the U turn all the way down to the chicane and the shortish straight could benefit from the power.

I get the horsepower thing (I've got a ZX-14R), but on a track like Bira a literbike will be overkill. You should probably do a couple of rental track days to get a feel for it- I wouldn't risk a brand-new S1000RR on it. While Pattaya and Bangkok mostly suck for riding, there are nearby roads that make a fast streetbike worthwhile- if I were you, I'd buy the newest/latest/fastest for the street, and get something smaller to flog on the track. We're about the same size- a 600cc is small but workable for your frame (though I wouldn't want to do a 1000km day on one).wink.png

I been out to Bira a few times not seen the rental bikes but I actually wanted to hire one first as the heat here is a bit brutal and iv packed it in a few times at Phillip island when's it's been 34 degrees. Plus suss out the track as less hp is sometimes more fun. I'm not really a road rider even on good roads I just don't enjoy it much anymore but good advice about the rental bike now I just have to wait 2 weeks for my gear to get here

Let me know if you want Graham's mobile number (and if you're serious).

If it's purely a track bike, just buy an invoice bike and spend the massive savings on suspension, tyres, track days and future repairs. No way I would pay all that money in tax for a green book on a bike you're going to ride only on the track.

A 600 would be good for Thai tracks as already stated.

Where are you? I know a couple of good mechanics for inline 4's in Bangkok. I normally order parts for my import from Ebay and he fits them for me. I order the consumables a few months in advance or carry them over after visiting my family, never been an issue. Over the course of 4/5 years it's been as cheap as a locally made bike (of similar spec) to maintain.

Something like a 09 cbr1000rr might be a good bet.

Kaeng Krachan possibly as well. The blast up the hill after the U turn all the way down to the chicane and the shortish straight could benefit from the power.

Probably one of the most dangerous talks on Thailand. No adequate safety barriers. I saw enough major accidents in one race meeting where adequate barriers could have saved riders from severe injury and reduce major damage to their machines. I won't be turning a wheel there.
  • Like 1

Couldn't you for example just buy a CBR1000RR from Big Wing and then get an ECU shipped over from the USA and get the bike up to full power that way and get a brand new bike with full power and without having to buy used?

For example, Red Baron has a 2014 CBR1000RR for nearly 1 million Baht: http://www.redbaronbkk.com/products/item.php?id=150110-0000757

Can't you buy a new 2015 CBR1000RR from Big Wing for 650,000 Baht with a Honda dealer warranty and then get an ECU from the USA and have the same bike that way but for less money, brand new, and with dealer warranty?

From what I've been reading here, it takes more than just a ECU flash to get it to full power, some other parts need to be swapped to properly de-restrict it. May still be cheaper but it's more complicated than you think.

• Like 1

For example, Red Baron has a 2014 CBR1000RR for nearly 1 million Baht: http://www.redbaronbkk.com/products/item.php?id=150110-0000757

Can't you buy a new 2015 CBR1000RR from Big Wing for 650,000 Baht with a Honda dealer warranty and then get an ECU from the USA and have the same bike that way but for less money, brand new, and with dealer warranty?

RB is selling a limited edition SP model, not a standard model- it has Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes, a blueprinted engine, etc- a standard full-power model would likely run ~750K-800K. As mentioned, there's more to upgraded a restricted model than simply changing the ECU. Edited by RubberSideDown

As an aside, knowing how dangerous most of the tracks are here in Thailand, with limited straights, and many unsafe corners, I can't imagine why anyone would really need a full power anything liter bike. People should be racing 250cc bikes only on the tracks in this country and if they want to race bigger track bikes then go to Malaysia or elsewhere in my humble opinion.

Do both HP versions have the same breaking power?

^

Yes, as they have exactly the same brakes... Brakes aren't power-dependent, they're speed-dependent- both bikes would need to effectively stop from any given speed, regardless of how fast they might have attained that speed. While the non-restricted version can approach the 300kph limit, the restricted version would still be capable of ~250kph and would require the same quality brakes.

Besides the restriction hardware and slight transmission ratio differences, both versions are identical.

• Like 1