Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Airport Departure Tax To Be Increased To 700 Baht

george

I have seen several times where travellers get caught out having to pay the PSC in cash. Arguing with the tax collector, saying they have no money to pay.

Never mind, it only happens once I imagine.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This has two main effects. Firstly, tourists have to cough up with cash. The second is however, that they can’t charge transiting passengers which is a big deal when you have an airport like BKK which is a huge stop over point. Given that they PSC is designed to charge people for using the services at the airport (eg baggage handling, cleaners, airside staff and personnel etc), it seems a bit silly that zillions of transiting passengers get to use the airport free of charge. Airports and running them cost money you know.

So, the people who are shelling out the PSC are subsidizing transiting passengers who are using the airport for free. And given that the 700 baht (And associated landing fees and charges for the airlines) are actually not covering the costs of the airport, then those who are actually paying are still being subsidized by the humble tax payer of Thailand.

Totally agree with the point about subsidizing the transit passengers. If they sorted this out and got money from the people in transit, they could probably reduce the price really.

Secondly, 700 baht is still cheap. Sydney Airport I believe it is AUD$38 (1100 baht). Additionally (and I have seen the numbers on this in a previous life) the 700 baht charge you see goes no-where near to covering the costs of the new airport. Believe it or not, 700 baht is the maximum the minister and the civil service would swallow. Having said that, as long you have the cash on you, paying is quick and painless and is extraordinarily efficient given it is a manual process.

Althougth i agree that 700 baht isn't much. We look at it from a farang point of view, I think it should be relative to the amount of an average Thai salary. 700 baht is more than the average days wage in Thailand. If Australia started to charge more than an average Aussie day's wage to exit the country, i think there would be uproar.

Just my opinion.

I get confused about currency transactions (like losing 30% crossing between Guatemala and Mexico), but since the baht is much stronger against the dollar, shouldn't the fee be dropped to 400 baht? Or did they buy all those CTX scanners when the rate was 42:1?

And when's the last time they raised the fee, to 500 baht? And this apparently will apply to flights from CNX and Phuket also, yes?

Besides, won't they need to start saving money for ten years from now, when the airport starts sinking well below sea level?

PB ----- the departure tax of 700 is for leaving the country ... The fee for domestic is going to 100

Mrbo ---- the Thais making 200/day are not likely to be leaving the country via an international flight anyways right ?

This has two main effects. Firstly, tourists have to cough up with cash. The second is however, that they can’t charge transiting passengers which is a big deal when you have an airport like BKK which is a huge stop over point. Given that they PSC is designed to charge people for using the services at the airport (eg baggage handling, cleaners, airside staff and personnel etc), it seems a bit silly that zillions of transiting passengers get to use the airport free of charge. Airports and running them cost money you know.

So, the people who are shelling out the PSC are subsidizing transiting passengers who are using the airport for free. And given that the 700 baht (And associated landing fees and charges for the airlines) are actually not covering the costs of the airport, then those who are actually paying are still being subsidized by the humble tax payer of Thailand.

Totally agree with the point about subsidizing the transit passengers. If they sorted this out and got money from the people in transit, they could probably reduce the price really.

Secondly, 700 baht is still cheap. Sydney Airport I believe it is AUD$38 (1100 baht). Additionally (and I have seen the numbers on this in a previous life) the 700 baht charge you see goes no-where near to covering the costs of the new airport. Believe it or not, 700 baht is the maximum the minister and the civil service would swallow. Having said that, as long you have the cash on you, paying is quick and painless and is extraordinarily efficient given it is a manual process.

Althougth i agree that 700 baht isn't much. We look at it from a farang point of view, I think it should be relative to the amount of an average Thai salary. 700 baht is more than the average days wage in Thailand. If Australia started to charge more than an average Aussie day's wage to exit the country, i think there would be uproar.

Just my opinion.

This rise was advertised as about to happen when I visited Oz in March this year. How much is the departure tax from OZ??

Mrbo ---- the Thais making 200/day are not likely to be leaving the country via an international flight anyways right ?

Not any more they won't. They have been saving hard for the flight but can't afford the exit fee now :D:D And the one's that are leaving, will probably have it paid by a farang anyway :o

Again .... Thais pay the same departure tax that we

Seriously though, it was you who brought it up before that the tax does affect the Thai's. :D Or did you mean, as long as it only affects the rich Thai's.

Out of interest jd, how high would the increase have to go, before you would whinge about it? That's not being sarcastic, it's a serious question BTW.

before I whinged? over what a visa to Laos costs ... or even better what a visa to Cambodia costs PLUS the airport departure tax!

but mrbo --- seems like my Thai friends pay their own way out ... or are on Biz and the company pays

I definately agree with womble about the "If you dont like it, leave" posts. Hardly constructive are they? Also I find it amusing when farangs living here start the nonsensical complaining about there being far too many farangs in Thailand. Go and look in the mirror- yes, you are a farang too and if you dont like it, you know where the door is! :o

The service seems to have great potential at the new airport to be a VAST improvemnt over Don Muang

you can be happy in your optimism - I don't hold that hope.

special province governed by the office of the prime minister .... is it only my cynicism that calculates the satang ?

150 billion baht project that handles 10% more traffic than don muang - I think I would pass onthe shares on a level playing field.

You can proclaim the right to parade you optimism , but I reserve the right to my cynicism.

the departure tax is small biscuits compared to the rest.

Baboon .... I kinda agree with you! However if someone states they are so frustrated they are thinking about leaving, then by all means ....

Reasonable point, well made. But if you dont like those who are so frustrated they wish to leave staying in Thailand, you know where the Airport is!

Just kidding! :o

I hope they don't look at Bali's International airport. They get you coming and going

Coming in you have to pay $25US IN US DOLLARS, they will not accept any other currency, not even Indonesian Rupiah. :o Then on the way out you have to pay a separate tax in Rupiah.

The costs are still among the lowest in the world. But they should include them in the ticket price just like in most other countries. At least it does not upset people anymore who falsely assume that they get a bad deal in bangkok. I think that the security tax at US and European airports are already higher than the 700 baht. Some people like to have it all for free.

I hope they don't look at Bali's International airport. They get you coming and going

Coming in you have to pay $25US IN US DOLLARS, they will not accept any other currency, not even Indonesian Rupiah. :o Then on the way out you have to pay a separate tax in Rupiah.

I did not know that Bali was from a western country?? :D

1000bht would have been better, nice round figure. :D

Ssshhhh Brit, don't go giving them idea's :o:D

The numbers were crunched back in 2002. All it needs is political will to get the PSC to the level it needs to be......

I am waiting for the day when the new airport does really open. It sure is going be a hel_l of a party here in TV for the T bashers and whingers!!! With all the chaos that it's going to cause usually for any opening of a new airport. So get ready for the party!!!! :o

Surely they are one of the last countries to have the archaic method?

New Zealand does this, too. At least in Thailand you're not stuck waiting in line for an hour to pay it...

Lets face it that would be much easier and also more efficient to add it to the airfare ticket and any

country that does not should wake up out of the inefficient stupor.

Why not just make it a "round" Nung Pun baht...1,000 and avoid all that scraping around the bottom of your luggage looking for change at the last minute. :D but leave it at that level for say the next ...wot...10 years or so.........

Can hardly buy 10 beers for that nowadays anyway... :o

Agreed. Or even make it 2000 and keep the crims out :D

For several years, I have flown SFO - BKK, stayed overnight and then flown somewhere east such as Phnom Penh or Saigon.

I didn't like being dinged for 500 baht, plus cab fare to and from the airport, plus paying for a night in a guesthouse. This adds up shortly.

In January, I am flying right into SGN. No BKK. What do I save? Roughly 2000 baht or ~$50.00 off the top.

Will this raised departure tax keep people from visiting Bangkok? Doubtful.

But for me, "game over" for now.

I have voted with my feet.

For several years, I have flown SFO - BKK, stayed overnight and then flown somewhere east such as Phnom Penh or Saigon.

I didn't like being dinged for 500 baht, plus cab fare to and from the airport, plus paying for a night in a guesthouse. This adds up shortly.

In January, I am flying right into SGN. No BKK. What do I save? Roughly 2000 baht or ~$50.00 off the top.

Will this raised departure tax keep people from visiting Bangkok? Doubtful.

But for me, "game over" for now.

I have voted with my feet.

So you don't have to pay for a VN or cambo visa then?

Yeah a predictable answer there from steveromagnino, I wondered how long it would take for the usual, "if you don't like it you know where the door is".

I thought i'd already mentioned that I may well exit that door in the next 12 months.

What is predictable is the constant stream of complaining and comments about corruption and it's so horrible here and Thais don't love us or respect us...

You want equality with Thais when being a farang means paying a few baht more for something than they do, but you want to be treated like you were little farang kings & queens when it comes to service. You want to be loved and respected, but all you do is spew hate and condescension.

Most of you were probably at the bottom of the food chain back in your home country and figured you'd come out to the third world and be big stuff, wowing "the natives" with your amazing intellect and innate superiority.

Get over it. If you think you'll find a better deal elsewhere, then be happy for the good times you had in Thailand and move on. Every place has it's pluses and minuses, but if you're being consumed with constant anger about everything, the problem is you. Thailand isn't going to change to suit you (and many of us like it as it is, warts and all), so find a place where you will be happy.

Corruption, useless politicians, bent cops, mediocre government services, rising costs...these things are everywhere. If you know of some place where everything works just as you want it, bon voyage, but I bet in a couple of years you'll be bitching about everything there too...the problem is you, your frustrations and self-esteem issues and those will follow you where ever you go.

Surely they are one of the last countries to have the archaic method?

New Zealand does this, too. At least in Thailand you're not stuck waiting in line for an hour to pay it...

Happens in Canada too.... at the Vancouver International Airport.

15 CAD (about 450 Bt) for passengers departing on international flights. They introduced this after a new international airport terminal was built and opened. Seven years later- they are still taking the cash!