Cancel Extension of Stay without letter from employer.

I have a work permit and extension of stay which ends on March 31st. I will be working until the 16th of March. My school wanted me to stay for another year but, I politely declined. The school director is not happy with this and is now refusing me a letter of termination.

I am planning to do a border crossing and apply for a tourist visa to stay here for another couple months but from what Ive read from the forums I will be sent back if I dont first cancel my extension at my local immigration office. Also in order to cancel my extension I require this letter do I not?

What are my options?

Also if I were able to cancel it on my own would I be able to cancel it on the 30th/31st and apply for a 7 day extension? Or would I have to do this on the 16th?

My school director is very lazy so I doubt she would cancel it on her own.

I know I can cancel a work permit on my own but I'm not sure about the extension

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Direktkaoz

Whether you need the cancellation letter at the border depends upon which crossing you use. Only Nong Khai and Mukdahan have been reported as asking for it.

If your employer has not canceled your work permit yet you could do it yourself and use the receipt for the cancellation to cancel your extension at immigration.

Cancellation form here: http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/form_Return.pdf

Thank you ubonjoe.

Assuming I cancel the wp and extension on my own and my employer doesn't cancel it on her end. Could I do this on the last day of its validity? Or should I be cancelling on the 17th of March; the day after my last day of work?

So my situation is that, I asked immigration if I can cancel the extension on my own if I bring a receipt of cancelling my work permit and they told me "not without a letter from the school." Which I wont be able to obtain.

I still am officially working as I still need to hand in the grades and my employer has not yet notified the department of labor.

It seems that a border run for a tourist visa is not an option in my situation... am I correct?

What would then be my best course of action?

Would handing in the grades at the last day of my wp/extension of stay and then immediately flying out to Vientianne be an option? It is to my understanding that if I flew out on the last day of my extension it would automatically cancel my extension, would it not?

Also if I did it this way would I run into problems getting a tourist visa in Vientianne the following day?

Also one last thing, would I have to come back to cancel my wp after it has expired?

Thanks in advance.

So my situation is that, I asked immigration if I can cancel the extension on my own if I bring a receipt of cancelling my work permit and they told me "not without a letter from the school." Which I wont be able to obtain.

They can try to make it difficult but it's a pointless abuse. It's enough that you fly out to any destination or leave by land from any border post except Nong Khai, and your extension of stay (in absence of a re-entry permit) will be automatically cancelled.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...