Difference between blue and grey PVC pipes ?

jethro69

Was browsing a lot of websites from the various pipe manufacturers, but the above question still remains.

Take for example a 3" pipe designed for 5 bar (PVC 5), the wall thickness is the same, but I was quoted 30 bath less for the the agricultural pipe (grey).

The blue pipes seem not to be much UV resistant, are the grey ones better, as the usually are exposed to the sun when lying in the fields, or is there no difference either?

The last think I can think of that they are subsided by the government, and thus a bit cheaper, and besides the color, there's no difference at all ???

And sorry, if it's covered somewhere, but I went through a lot of threads without finding an answer. whistling.gif

Thai uPVC pipes have different color code according to their norm/application : see link below with TIS (thai norm) code number.

http://www.thaipipe.com/products&services/upvcpipe.htm

The uPVC composition is the same, but some TIS code can require different test results.

Not suitable for hot applications !!!

To avoid UV impact, you can paint them with rubber shell UV paint.

Other, more stronger alternative is PP-R piping (green) with better characteristics and OK for hot applications.

http://www.siameast.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129&Itemid=257

Previous TV thread with tips :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/591926-plumbing-pvc-pipe/

Edited by Thorgal
  • Like 1

Thanks mate,

I intend to (mis)use them for aquaponics, so not much pressure involved, I guess the cheaper grey ones will do the trick, just have to find a shop nearby who as them.

Funny think is, I looked at the thaipipe link you posted, there is indeed a slight difference in wall thickness @3" pipes. 2,5mm (blue) vs 2,3mm (grey). I looked in a catalog from Thaipipe, which I printed last year, and both have the same wall thickness of 2,5mm.

Painting might just do the trick thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

We have a small holding rearing a few cattle, and have the blue PVC pipe all over the place ,a lot  is above ground ,some has been they a few years ,not any problems with UL .

As for grey water pipe   I have never seen it  it is all blue .if you think it might be a problem just buy the thicker pipe.

As for being subsidized  by the government ,no way ,so I have been told Thai Pipe is about the best you can get , they are a lot of company's producing PVC pipe I have brought some pipe fittings from markets and corner shop's and a lot are not good fits on some pipes, not all the same standered 

just been getting quotes for some 12'' pipe, been a while since we have bought large size pipe, had to sit down when they told price for thickness i wanted, ended up going with the thinnest grade (5)

have pipe in sunlight for some 11 years still works good.