Uk Visa For My Girlfriend

I have been working and living in Thailand for nearly 4 years, and am looking to take my girlfriend of 18 months back home for Christmas. Had a look at the visa form and looks simple enough, but have heard form various sources that it can be quite difficult for non-resident Brits to obtain a visa for their girlfriends. I'm working as a teacher so my salary isn't that great, although we have enough money to cover the trip as we will be staying with family back home. Are there any particular issues I need to be aware of?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sir Trevor.

In such a situation, you will effectively act as your girlfriend's reason to return to Thailand, so you should submit evidence that you are in a relationship and that you have to resume your employment. Additionally, you will need to demonstrate that there is sufficient money available to pay for the trip and that your girlfriend will have somewhere to stay. If you'll be staying with friends/relatives, then they should provide a letter for the visa officer confirming the invitation to stay and which also states what accommodation will be available.

Cheers,

Scouse.

In such a situation, you will effectively act as your girlfriend's reason to return to Thailand, so you should submit evidence that you are in a relationship and that you have to resume your employment. Additionally, you will need to demonstrate that there is sufficient money available to pay for the trip and that your girlfriend will have somewhere to stay. If you'll be staying with friends/relatives, then they should provide a letter for the visa officer confirming the invitation to stay and which also states what accommodation will be available.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Thanks for the replies so far fellas.

My girlfriend has a pretty expensive lot of family land in her name, would this act as reason to return?

Secondly, Is there a "sufficient amount" that the embassy look for? I mean do they have a calculation of how much per day is needed?

Obviously, owning land will only strengthen her reasons to return, so you should provide evidence of this.

Every case is different, so there is no fixed sum. Obviously, if staying with family you will need less than if staying in a hotel. Don't try and think of a figure the embassy want to see, just show them how much you have.