Illegal Chinese photographer arrested at Phuket beach

webfact

“We have seen them take photos in Phuket old town without asking home owners permission or standing in the middle of the road without concern for traffic or drivers...... right now we should focus on educating tourists in our culture, beliefs and acceptable behavior"

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/illegal-chinese-photographer-arrested-at-phuket-beach-51370.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2015-03-13

.... heemmmm.....

Yesss ! Not asking home owner permission while taking photos and standing in the middle of the road for pics are one of those things that Thai photographers will never do. Never.... :unsure:

• Like 1

They seem to forget that Thais, however, go to other countries and take photographs, and do other things while there which we cannot do here, without the problems we encounter here. They never seem to understand that our cultures are something we are willing to share without getting so uptight about, although there are a few things we hold as sacrosanct. Thais, though, seem to lose their so called Thainess when they travel.

No work permit then you cannot work. As much asmany do.not agree. In this case however there are hundreds of thousands of Thais who speak chinese and could do this job and infact do. So no need for imported chinese photographers.

so why are the Chinese ones still able to get work and most likely charge more? if the Thais want the Chinese to go elsewhere to have there weddings this is a good start at destroying yet another sector of their tourism industy

The laws are too strict, too protectionist and too open to interpretation and abuse. On some cases they are just ridiculous such as people flying in for s board meeting needing a permit. It is anal.

Why can't Thais stand on their Own merits with the competition rather than need mother Thsiland to protect their useless asses. They have a huge advantage living here, local contacts and so on. Do they really need quite so much protection for every silly little thing?

• Like 1

In the case of the tour guide, he would be smart to hire a Thai guide and then do all the talking. Bases would be covered somewhat as they have a Thai guide, which I believe is a protected position here, but the guide is just there “providing translation”. If he starts leading the group he’s asking for it. An added cost but it beats fines, jail, etc etc.

this is a difficult subject, the rule being "doing work is illegal if you don't have a work permit", whether paid or not, it is illegal. We try to get students as interns and we have each years tremendous difficulties.

now consider this:

1. an executive from an overseas organisation comes to Thailand on holiday and he visits his office in Bangkok and sits in a board meeting. He did not ask for a business visa and did not ask a work permit. He is not paid in Thailand, can he work?

2. A group of tourists visits Thailand from Holland, they have their own tour guide from Holland, they are all travelling together on the tour with a visa on arrival. The tour guide can or not guide them through Ayuthaya and explain the history?

3. A couple get's married and decides to have a Thai wedding as a ceremony, they have a friend photographer and he goes with them on the beach and takes their picture, they are all foreigners. Can the friend take the pictures?

In each case, he is working illegally and subject to the law with all the dire consequences.

I have seen a top executive from a large French group being taken from a board meeting, to immigration, charges and deported at his own expenses.

Is this all really fair or even logical? difficult.

If we get a business visitor from overseas, we spent days getting him/her a WP that is valid only for a few days, this is the only way to guarantee you are legal... the procedure exists and is a real pain

oz

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am assuming in this case the photographer is supposedly living and working in Phuket and didn't just come over with the wedding party.

Can anyone tell me what the situation is for freelance photographers, lets say you do travel photography and you want to do a piece on Phuket for a magazine. You are not a Thai national. Can you come over for the assignment and do you get a work permit?

No, you can not come over for the assignment and get a work permit. You must leave your equipment and money at the airport and get on the first flight back.

And you are cautioned to write only favorable text about your Thai experience or you can never come back. Its the Thai way and the quicker you learn the better for you.coffee1.gif

"“Most of these photographers barely know Phuket culture." And the number of Thais who are fluent i dialect Chinese tourists may be speaking? And of course they have taken extensive course work in Chinese culture, and all the sub cultures....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The laws are too strict, too protectionist and too open to interpretation and abuse. On some cases they are just ridiculous such as people flying in for s board meeting needing a permit. It is anal.

Why can't Thais stand on their Own merits with the competition rather than need mother Thsiland to protect their useless asses. They have a huge advantage living here, local contacts and so on. Do they really need quite so much protection for every silly little thing?

Above all, china falang must understand Thai language = beautiful language. China photographer no understand Thainess is the most best.

Good Thai solution, let china photographer stand next to Thai photographer but only pay Thai photographer. Is the Thai solution.clap2.gif everybody happy because Chinese come to Thailand to give money to Thai.w00t.gif

• Like 1

What if the person taking photo is just a family member and is not a professional? Is this illegal?

No, it's not.

In this case the Chinese was earning good money, 5 to 10k for wedding pics . He was working for himself , earning good money and living in Thailand.

You can take as many private pictures you want but if the police hear about you get money for it , you're in trouble.

Edited by balo

I don't post here much anymore as it's usually one big yelling match, TV is full of ads and click bait headlines and email alerts, and you can't talk about anything real when it comes to what is actually happening in this country. But I thought I would chime in and say that these cops are absolute morons and after 14 or 15 years, I still remain amazed at how the law is selectively interpreted and implemented in Thailand. Seems like the police in Phuket are going after the low hanging fruit now that other avenues of profit are drying up.

dont worrie !

No one would come for such reason to CM !!

Maybee to get the wedding on smoke ???

In the case of the tour guide, he would be smart to hire a Thai guide and then do all the talking. Bases would be covered somewhat as they have a Thai guide, which I believe is a protected position here, but the guide is just there “providing translation”. If he starts leading the group he’s asking for it. An added cost but it beats fines, jail, etc etc.

this is a difficult subject, the rule being "doing work is illegal if you don't have a work permit", whether paid or not, it is illegal. We try to get students as interns and we have each years tremendous difficulties.

now consider this:

1. an executive from an overseas organisation comes to Thailand on holiday and he visits his office in Bangkok and sits in a board meeting. He did not ask for a business visa and did not ask a work permit. He is not paid in Thailand, can he work?

2. A group of tourists visits Thailand from Holland, they have their own tour guide from Holland, they are all travelling together on the tour with a visa on arrival. The tour guide can or not guide them through Ayuthaya and explain the history?

3. A couple get's married and decides to have a Thai wedding as a ceremony, they have a friend photographer and he goes with them on the beach and takes their picture, they are all foreigners. Can the friend take the pictures?

In each case, he is working illegally and subject to the law with all the dire consequences.

I have seen a top executive from a large French group being taken from a board meeting, to immigration, charges and deported at his own expenses.

If we get a business visitor from overseas, we spent days getting him/her a WP that is valid only for a few days, this is the only way to guarantee you are legal... the procedure exists and is a real pain

oz

no one tells you you must do your meeting in LOS !!

no one tells you you should marry in LOS

Most of these young wealthy Chinese (and Koreans) who are getting their wedding photos taken by their own Chinese/Korean photographers use companies to arrange everything from cars to venue, reception, honeymoons and photographers. They pay one time in one place - job done. Once the police start arresting their photographers the companies will simply take the honeymooners elsewhere and Thailand's tourism industry can say adios to a small income stream.

• Like 1

now consider this:

oz

1) holiday means holiday. Not attend work

2) tourist visa means no work allowed.

3) yes he can. As long as he does not receive money

Perfectly logical and simple. It gets painful when you decide to break the law. There are specific visas for specific purposes. Without it there would be more of this type of operations going on.

I am assuming in this case the photographer is supposedly living and working in Phuket and didn't just come over with the wedding party.

Can anyone tell me what the situation is for freelance photographers, lets say you do travel photography and you want to do a piece on Phuket for a magazine. You are not a Thai national. Can you come over for the assignment and do you get a work permit?

I am a professional photographer specializing in aerial photography and I have a work permit for it, the Chinese tend to bring their own photographers with them from China.

My problem is with photographers living here on tourist visas and working without a work permit, it is seriously affecting my business.

prime example of someone trying to earn an honest living but squeezed by those who think they can outsmart the system, not pay tax and be just darn arrogant.
  • Like 1

"“I think it will be a long process to rid the island of illegal photographers, and right now we should focus on educating tourists in our culture, beliefs and acceptable behaviors,” he said."

To what culture and beliefs and behaviors is he referring to?

Is it the half human half Elephant Hindu statues with a trunk? Or is it the exhibition of various hideous ugly creatures in some garden? Or is it the myriad of various Gods, Ghosts and Spirits depicted in the various temples supposedly dedicated and built for the benefit of promoting the teachings of Buddha? Is the culture all the worshipers coming to temples around Thailand, kneeling in front of statues and praying for more money?

Before one can protect and promote a culture, there must be one in the first place.

missed the point completely and talking gibberish. Oh wait AlQaholic. I rest my case

now consider this:

oz

4) a Thai wedding both married couples are Thai the photographer is a Thai friend. Is he working illegal? Would he be questioned by police?
4) no. He does not need a visa in thailand. Does he now? Ps-answered by my 3 year old.

taking care of the competition ...

with stupid laws, where even a professional photographer or other profession would need 4 USELESS thais standing, texting, sleeping around, for a job that can be done by one person

so why he does not just say he is a tourist or a friend of the couple, also illegal to take pictures for free of your friends ?

when I go to the toilet, can I wipe my ass, or do i need a thai/burmese for that also ?

you can have a thai to wipe ur ass but not a Burmese as he/she needs a wp. Bum gun is better btw.

This is purely potectionisum of an industry not capable of performing their professional ability to take pictures at a reasonable

price for the consumer. If the Local photographers promote their service with pricing (no negotiating price) then it will be an open market. What transpires between clients and photographers is not of the Thai Government business. If he (photographer) has no office, no advertisements or other means of commercialization his business, then he is not working in Country. If arrangement were made outside of Thailand, what they do is none of Thailand concern. This protectionism is going to far!

mu 3 year old disagrees. On balance what u argue is nonsense and full of contradictions. Using big words does not add meat to an argument. It is any governments business to choose how things are done for the benefit of its citizens.

In this case however there are hundreds of thousands of Thais who speak chinese and could do this job and infact do. So no need for imported chinese photographers.

You do know that there are many dialects of Chinese, right? Teochew, Hakka, Cantonese, Fukien etc.

Most Thais don't speak Mandarin, the most common language used by Chinese tourists.

They seem to forget that Thais, however, go to other countries and take photographs, and do other things while there which we cannot do here, without the problems we encounter here. They never seem to understand that our cultures are something we are willing to share without getting so uptight about, although there are a few things we hold as sacrosanct. Thais, though, seem to lose their so called Thainess when they travel.

you are way off track and non specific hence not worth discussing

nobody puts a gun to someone's head to come to thailand and abuse the law. Or do they? Gotta play with the local rules or out you go.

I am glad the cops took down this criminal. I can now walk the beaches of Phuket a lot safer knowing that they have been cleaned of Chinese wedding photographers and local motorbike teenage stab gangs.

Oh, hold on, wait a minute,....... blink.png

• Like 1

now consider this:

oz

have you considered doing the right thing rather than going a long way covering up? This type of attitude is what makes authorities everywhere to tighten the rules.

Above all, china falang must understand Thai language = beautiful language. China photographer no understand Thainess is the most best.

Good Thai solution, let china photographer stand next to Thai photographer but only pay Thai photographer. Is the Thai solution.clap2.gif everybody happy because Chinese come to Thailand to give money to Thai.w00t.gif

you must be as dumb as your attempt to write in a pretend-thai dialect
  • Like 1

Most of these young wealthy Chinese (and Koreans) who are getting their wedding photos taken by their own Chinese/Korean photographers use companies to arrange everything from cars to venue, reception, honeymoons and photographers. They pay one time in one place - job done. Once the police start arresting their photographers the companies will simply take the honeymooners elsewhere and Thailand's tourism industry can say adios to a small income stream.

nonesense. If they're wealthy and organized and having done their homework they would organize the necessary paper in advance.