Why is Swedish Beer in 7-11 the same price as local beer?

wump

I really wonder. Is there a free trade agreement? I would really like to enjoy European beer over here, but with prices starting at 100 baht (3 euros!) in supermarkets it is just not economical and a waste. Well, more like a ripoff.

Main reason would be that European beer is not loaded with sugar and chemicals like the Thai ones.

On the beer it says "Brewed and canned in Sweden" and it has a tax badge. I hope someone can shed some light on this.

"European beer is not loaded with sugar and chemicals"

shows how much you know about European beer or is this thread just an avenue to Thai bash ?

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/reinheit.htm

granted not all Euro beers on the list, but food for thought

http://organics.org/8-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking-immediately

as a Thai bash and technical beer knowledge in your thread marks out of 10...2/10

• Like 2

Well I tried sounding cosmopolitan and said European but I really only meant German beers. They are brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot (your link doesn't really say anything against it... most of the arguments there are pretty pointless or don't concern the end user).

This is NOT a Thai bashing thread. Nor is it a thread about beer ingredients. I only wanted to know why the Swedish beer is so cheap (46 baht) when the German one is so expensive. The 500ml Oettinger (yes, considered piss, I know... still Germany's top-selling beer) sells for 119 Baht a can when it is 10 Baht a can back in Germany, so it can't be the price at the source country.

Edited by wump

Well I tried sounding cosmopolitan and said European but I really only meant German beers. They are brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot (your link doesn't really say anything against it... most of the arguments there are pretty pointless or don't concern the end user).

This is NOT a Thai bashing thread. Nor is it a thread about beer ingredients. I only wanted to know why the Swedish beer is so cheap (46 baht) when the German one is so expensive. The 500ml Oettinger (yes, considered piss, I know... still Germany's top-selling beer) sells for 119 Baht a can when it is 10 Baht a can back in Germany, so it can't be the price at the source country.

in Australia when it comes to OeTtinger(spell check)

Here until a week ago the 500ML cans were under $40 a carton, the 330ml bottles we're low as $32 a carton, when locally made beers are up to $50 a carton.

Oettinger isn't that bad imo, just needs to be ice cold.

As for no preservatives I'm sceptical. How can it be stored at room temperature on the bottleshop floors without going bad? Anyway that's another story.

Didn't take it as Thai-bashing:-)

Either supply and demand or they are trying to shift stock.

It is sealed airtight, why would it go bad? No beer in Germany contains preservatives and they don't go bad? Okay, the shelf life is mostly only 6 months but I never had any beer older than that in here either. You just have to keep them out of UV light and really high temperatures so they don't go off.

Funny how in Australia the Oettinger is often cheaper than the cheapest local beers there.

But this topic was really about the tax aspect. Maybe some importer can explain what is happening here.

• Like 1

Here until a week ago the 500ML cans were under $40 a carton, the 330ml bottles we're low as $32 a carton, when locally made beers are up to $50 a carton.

As for no preservatives I'm sceptical. How can it be stored at room temperature on the bottleshop floors without going bad? Anyway that's another story.

In Germany the breweries by-pass the Reinheitsgebot by putting the fresh brewed beer under pressure and heat it up to temperatures that kills any yeast, bacteria and what else. The beer is sterile. It will last for about 6 to 8 months. Germans call it "dead" beers. The small breweries still produce "alive" beers, but they last only a few weeks... not suitable for export

Fatfather

• Like 1

Oettinger isn't that bad imo-mate you disappoint me...

• Like 2

It is sealed airtight, why would it go bad? No beer in Germany contains preservatives and they don't go bad? Okay, the shelf life is mostly only 6 months but I never had any beer older than that in here either. You just have to keep them out of UV light and really high temperatures so they don't go off.

Funny how in Australia the Oettinger is often cheaper than the cheapest local beers there.

But this topic was really about the tax aspect. Maybe some importer can explain what is happening here.

I spent 12 years of my adult life in Germany and had my share of skunky beer. German beer does get bad.

They are brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot (your link doesn't really say anything against it... most of the arguments there are pretty pointless or don't concern the end user).

you obviously didn't read the link then

11 Reasons why the Reinheitsgebot is b*llocks

rolleyes.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thai beer sucks.

Don't suck it, you will cause a vacuum.

Pour and enjoy.........................wink.png

tongue.png

Mate have you ever tried our Aussie beer?

Trust me, Oettinger is not as bad as our beer.

I'll take a Weihenstephner at twice the price any day.

They are brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot (your link doesn't really say anything against it... most of the arguments there are pretty pointless or don't concern the end user).

you obviously didn't read the link then

11 Reasons why the Reinheitsgebot is b*llocks

rolleyes.gif

Well did you?

Nowhere in the "11 reasons" does it say that preservatives are allowed or that adding sugar to regular beer (pilsener, lager) is allowed. So it's more like that link is b*llocks. Geez, tell the German about German beers. That joker who linked the article also linked an article about beers you shouldn't drink which apart from Newcastle and Guiness only contains American beers. facepalm.gif

Edit: Have just seen it was actually you who linked the article. You really should read the articles that you google to sound smart.

Edited by wump
  • Like 1

I get mine from wishbeer these days they have some great brews. 7/11 is the most expensive place to buy common beer, ie small can of Chang 35b, some mom and pop stores it's only 30b. I wish they sold Fullers ESB and Theakstons old peculiar though, Thai beer is utter muck.

Edited by dragonfly94
  • Like 1

I am a big fan of "Weizen" but I have had some seriously good craft beers in Oz.

Since this went all off-topic anyway I might as well add my opinion to the post above:

Mainstream Aussie beer is the worst stuff ever and it is pretty undrinkable if it is not chilled down to ridiculous temperatures. Even the cheapest German beer (regular price of Oettinger is €5.99/THB 210/$6.30/AUD 8.40 for 10 litres in Germany) tastes way better than p1ss like VB or Carlton Draught. In Germany, most guys just drink the beer at room/cellar temperature (10-20 degrees, I'm not talking about pubs here), that would be impossible with Aussie mainstream beers. That said, you guys have some excellent microbrews but they are barely affordable (like 80-100 dollars a carton). I usually settled for a compromise like Cascade or Boag's which were pretty drinkable.

Edited by wump

The OP's question was seriously sidetracked by a debate over beer quality.

I'd also like to know about taxation (or is marketing strategy) of alcohol in Thailand. Why is there near parity in beer pricing? Why is Thai wine priced almost the same as wine from, say Chili?

• Like 1

I am a big fan of "Weizen" but I have had some seriously good craft beers in Oz.

There are lovely craft beers these days. I can't knock them, but the big brewery stuff is rancid.

The OP's question was seriously sidetracked by a debate over beer quality.

I'd also like to know about taxation (or is marketing strategy) of alcohol in Thailand. Why is there near parity in beer pricing? Why is Thai wine priced almost the same as wine from, say Chili?

Maybe it's a case of sell to Thailand at a big discount, low profits, but at least it's sold?