Molly’s parents angry at unresponsive Phuket officials

Lite Beer

Whilst the council should take responsibility and at least apologize to the parents, the mother should also shoulder a portion of blame for not ensuring her daughter was properly restrained in the car. A seatbelt could possibly have saved her life ?

BTW I did express my condolences to the family on the original thread, so don't bash me about it now...

How many of us really make our kids wear seat belts in the car? The problem is that unless you have the child on a booster seat at exactly the right height (which I'm not even sure you can buy here) the belt runs over the child's neck which would also be catastrophic in this kind of situation. Since this accident I've made my boy wear the belt under his arm but around his body, although I'm really not sure if this would secure him.

I'd heard that the parents were starting a private prosecution against the local authority, but haven't heard any more on that.

SDM

I'll go ahead and say that all responsible parents who care for their children make them wear seat belts. If a booster seat is needed, you get one – simple as that. Even if you haven't got a booster seat, my guess is that the pros far outweigh the cons.

If the mother didn't make sure this poor child had a seat belt on, she is equally responsible for her death as the people who allowed that hole to remain.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst the council should take responsibility and at least apologize to the parents, the mother should also shoulder a portion of blame for not ensuring her daughter was properly restrained in the car. A seatbelt could possibly have saved her life ?

BTW I did express my condolences to the family on the original thread, so don't bash me about it now...

How many of us really make our kids wear seat belts in the car? The problem is that unless you have the child on a booster seat at exactly the right height (which I'm not even sure you can buy here) the belt runs over the child's neck which would also be catastrophic in this kind of situation. Since this accident I've made my boy wear the belt under his arm but around his body, although I'm really not sure if this would secure him.

I'd heard that the parents were starting a private prosecution against the local authority, but haven't heard any more on that.

SDM

I'll go ahead and say that all responsible parents who care for their children make them wear seat belts. If a booster seat is needed, you get one – simple as that. Even if you haven't got a booster seat, my guess is that the pros far outweigh the cons.

If the mother didn't make sure this poor child had a seat belt on, she is equally responsible for her death as the people who allowed that hole to remain.

I assume you live in Thailand, have kids and always make them wear seat belts using a booster seat if appropriate. Only yes or no answer required, anything else and let's assume no.

SDM

I don't even have kids but All passengers in My car must ware belts No questions..

Even bought Booster seats for my bother in laws 2 daughters that must be use when traveling in my car.

I have even stopped the car on the side of the road and waited 15 minutes for a "family" member to put on his belt witch he refused to do while we were in motion he is 38 years old and a Local Police man ....Told him if he is not putting it on he will have to walk home... he eventually relented ...now he wont travel in my car I said good save me my gas when you ask me to take you somewhere...

SDM0712 I have no problem with your response to CornishCarlos and only include you in my comment because I'm curious as to whether I missed a piece of news in which it was stated that Molly was not wearing a seatbelt. After reading CCs comment, I went back and read every article regarding this tragic accident....and nowhere could I find any reference to their use or absence of use. Without any report regarding their use or non-use, assumptions are being made that, in my humble opinion, have no place in any responses to this article regarding Molly's death. This latest article is simply reporting that Molly has died as a result of brain injuries resulting from that accident. An accident which was the direct and SOLE result of the authorities in that area not only NOT carrying out the necessary repairs but NOT ensuring that proper barricades to prevent such an accident from happening were maintained. I hope her parents do sue....not for the money, but as another commenter (Junk1e) said, " to send a message to the authorities". Nothing like a hefty kick in the wallet to help someone to remember to do or not do something!

To CornishCarlos, I respectfully have to say that I found your comment regarding "....the mother should also shoulder a portion of the blame....." cruel and extremely unwarranted at this time! Not only do we not know whether or not she was wearing a seatbelt, but we don't know that the use or non-use played any part in her death. You, sir, are making assumptions, assumptions which appear to have basis only in your fertile mind. Should it have been a reported fact that Molly was not properly restrained, I would agree with you if you were to have said something along the lines of "....in addition to suffering from the tragic death of her daughter, her mother must now live with the knowledge that her failure to have the daughter properly restrained may have contributed to her death" And, it would be fair comment to say that, in some countries, a highway traffic charge at the very least would result. But for you to make the currently unsubstantiated criticism which you have made in your comment, for me was totally uncalled for.

BTW I did express my condolences to the family on the original thread, so don't bash me about it now.

I'd heard that the parents were starting a private prosecution against the local authority, but haven't heard any more on this.

SDM0712 I have no problem with your response to CornishCarlos and only include you in my comment because I'm curious as to whether I missed a piece of news in which it was stated that Molly was not wearing a seatbelt. After reading CCs comment, I went back and read every article regarding this tragic accident....and nowhere could I find any reference to their use or absence of use. Without any report regarding their use or non-use, assumptions are being made that, in my humble opinion, have no place in any responses to this article regarding Molly's death. This latest article is simply reporting that Molly has died as a result of brain injuries resulting from that accident. An accident which was the direct and SOLE result of the authorities in that area not only NOT carrying out the necessary repairs but NOT ensuring that proper barricades to prevent such an accident from happening were maintained. I hope her parents do sue....not for the money, but as another commenter (Junk1e) said, " to send a message to the authorities". Nothing like a hefty kick in the wallet to help someone to remember to do or not do something!

To CornishCarlos, I respectfully have to say that I found your comment regarding "....the mother should also shoulder a portion of the blame....." cruel and extremely unwarranted at this time! Not only do we not know whether or not she was wearing a seatbelt, but we don't know that the use or non-use played any part in her death. You, sir, are making assumptions, assumptions which appear to have basis only in your fertile mind. Should it have been a reported fact that Molly was not properly restrained, I would agree with you if you were to have said something along the lines of "....in addition to suffering from the tragic death of her daughter, her mother must now live with the knowledge that her failure to have the daughter properly restrained may have contributed to her death" And, it would be fair comment to say that, in some countries, a highway traffic charge at the very least would result. But for you to make the currently unsubstantiated criticism which you have made in your comment, for me was totally uncalled for.

BTW I did express my condolences to the family on the original thread, so don't bash me about it now.How many of us really make our kids wear seat belts in the car? The problem is that unless you have the child on a booster seat at exactly the right height (which I'm not even sure you can buy here) the belt runs over the child's neck which would also be catastrophic in this kind of situation. Since this accident I've made my boy wear the belt under his arm but around his body, although I'm really not sure if this would secure him.

I'd heard that the parents were starting a private prosecution against the local authority, but haven't heard any more on this.

My boy was in Molly's class at School and I understand that Molly was asleep in the front seat and not wearing a seat belt.

SDM

Tingtau, there was reference in one or two of the original stories to the fact that Molly was not wearing a seatbelt. There was also quite a debate about it on here. So I am not assuming and its not all in my fertile mind !

As for comments about "who really makes their kids wear seatbelts", every educated caring parent that I know does.

Lets be honest here, it's a Thai trait to deny accountability, just sad when that even includes the parents.

Srisoontorn Municipality failed in their responsibility to properly maintain the roadways under their jurisdiction. That they could not afford to make the necessary repairs, I can accept as being a mitigating reason for the "hole" not being fixed, but I cannot accept their failure to maintain the necessary barricades required to prevent just such an accident. As to the failure on the part of the Mayor of Srisoontorn Municipality, Worawut Songyod, to meet with the parents at this time (stating to reporters "“Once I have held a meeting I will talk with the family.”) I will only comment that this gives the appearance that either a) he really doesn't give a damn B) he is too ashamed of his underlings failure and does not have the internal fortitude required to make face-to face apologies or c) that his legal advisors, knowing the culpability faced by the Municipality, have him on a short leash until they know best how to spin things in the best light possible. Of those three, I would lean most strongly toward the third possibility. If so, he was poorly advised in my opinion. I think that he would have been better advised to have met privately in person, with the parents and at least given them his "sincere condolences"!!

RIP dear little Molly. My sincere condolences to Mom and Dad!! Having lost a daughter myself due to a tragic accident (not a car accident though), I do have a glimmer of what you both must be going through at this terrible time. I do hope that you will seek counselling to assist you through your time of grief !!

SDM

Are you kidding? I don't think I know a single farang parent who doesn't require kids to buckle up, or have appropriate booster seats installed. Many Thai parents at our school too. My son is a teenager now so he uses regular belts, but ever since the day we took him home from the hospital he's been in a correct age-appropriate seat. We even had an extra seat to install on occasions when a friend was along for the ride. I'm not looking to argue or question anyone's parenting, I just want to encourage every parent to put safety first.

SDM

Are you kidding? I don't think I know a single farang parent who doesn't require kids to buckle up, or have appropriate booster seats installed. Many Thai parents at our school too. My son is a teenager now so he uses regular belts, but ever since the day we took him home from the hospital he's been in a correct age-appropriate seat. We even had an extra seat to install on occasions when a friend was along for the ride. I'm not looking to argue or question anyone's parenting, I just want to encourage every parent to put safety first.

No, I'm really not kidding, I don't know any.

I wonder of the same question too.The thing is even if the mom is partly to blame, I don't think she will be addressing that to the public.The guilt itself is enough to prolong her pain:(

SDM0712 I have no problem with your response to CornishCarlos and only include you in my comment because I'm curious as to whether I missed a piece of news in which it was stated that Molly was not wearing a seatbelt.

Well, you need training in forum search. Huge discussion on that, 100 odd days ago. coffee1.gif

Tingtau, there was reference in one or two of the original stories to the fact that Molly was not wearing a seatbelt. There was also quite a debate about it on here. So I am not assuming and its not all in my fertile mind !

As for comments about "who really makes their kids wear seatbelts", every educated caring parent that I know does.

Lets be honest here, it's a Thai trait to deny accountability, just sad when that even includes the parents.

I must have missed it then....if you can point out one or two of them, I would much appreciate seeing the reports. SDM0712, who by the way, is the one that actually made the comment about "who really makes their kids wear seatbelts", stated in a recent reply to me "My boy was in Molly's class at School and I understand that Molly was asleep in the front seat and not wearing a seat belt." Again, no reliable evidence for me to make that judgement. Personally, I believe whole-heartedly in wearing seatbelts in motor vehicles and helmets while operating motorbikes or bicycles....tragically in many cases, this has not yet fully caught on in many Asian countries including Thailand. Up until 1973, seatbelts in cars manufactured in North America were not even included!

Having said all of the above, I still find it both cruel and uncalled for to make the remark in this forum at this time! I suspect...in fact there is no doubt in my mind but...that both parents are going through hell, especially the mother who was operating the vehicle at the time of the accident. She will undoubtedly, if a lack of wearing a seatbelt played a role in Molly's demise, be "shouldering a portion of the blame"....in fact, I know with certainty from experience as a former policeman, that she is now, and will be reliving the moments of that tragic accident, the hours leading from then until the decision to remove the artificial life support systems, and the countless hours and days that will continue now that Molly is deceased, "shouldering a portion of the blame"!!! It will take strong bonds of love between she and her husband as well as counselling for them to fully recover from such a tragedy. There are many short and long-term effects of the loss of a child, even where there is no clear reason(s) for self blame.. One could benefit from reading such reports as http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2841012/ in understanding that there is, with the normal parent, no need for public condemnation....the parent will do a thorough job by themself.

Finally, the last comment " "it's a Thai trait to deny...........................includes the parents". Even accepting any truth in your comment as to it being a "Thai trait to deny accountability...", which I do not!! [in fact, I find that comment to be racist, uncalled for, and ludicrous in face of the fact that while the mother, Phakkamon Duangchaytemcharat may well be Thai, the father, I suspect, is a farang.....at least I don't know of any Thai nationals with the name Gordon “Badger” Bailey], where is the evidence of such denial here? The fact that they are seeking an apology from the very ones who are at the root cause for the accident through the failure to maintain a barricade around such an obvious hazard!!? The fact that they are upset that 100 days from the date of the accident, they have yet to receive any words of apology? Good Lord!!!! If that constitutes a "denial of accountability", I can almost guarantee you that everyone, faced with even a lesser travail than these poor souls are experiencing, no matter what their country of origin, would be reacting in a similar manner. I am not the grieving parent here but I feel justified in demanding that an apology.....a personal face to face apology..be made!! That is the LEAST Molly's parents deserve. And not, at this time at least, to have the public telling them that "the mother must shoulder also a portion of the blame"!!!

Edited by Tingtau

SDM0712 I have no problem with your response to CornishCarlos and only include you in my comment because I'm curious as to whether I missed a piece of news in which it was stated that Molly was not wearing a seatbelt.

Well, you need training in forum search. Huge discussion on that, 100 odd days ago. coffee1.gif

I can well accept that I "need training in forum search". Would you give me even one helpful hint as to what query would elicit this "huge discussion"?

However, as I think my comments reflect, whether or not a seatbelt was a factor in the death of Molly, I was and still am of the opinion that any comments that ask for the mother to "shoulder a portion of the blame" in this venue and at this time, to be cruel, uncalled for and totally unnecessary! Let's save such self-righteous (my description) comment for forums such as "the need to wear seatbelts" or 'pro's and con's of wearing seatbelts", not in comments addressing the reported death of someone's daughter. I would gladly give evidence ( of my own experiences as well as those of others with whom I am familiar) as to the advisability for all persons in a motor vehicle to "Buckle Up" in any discussions relating to the issue. I just don't feel that this was the proper venue to make such comment which, while perhaps unlikely, might be read by Molly's parents, who are undoubtedly going through pain and suffering enough without members of the public offering condemnatory comment?

SDM

I assume you live in Thailand, have kids and always make them wear seat belts using a booster seat if appropriate. Only yes or no answer required, anything else and let's assume no.

Was it you, Myran, who said "if the mother...................she is equally responsible for her death...................that hole to remain"? Whoever said it.......equally!!!!?? Surely, you jest!! I might agree, should I be given privy to Molly's attending doctors' report in which they confirm a conclusion that her ultimate death could have been avoided through the use of a seatbelt, that a failure to ensure the wearing of a seatbelt was at fault, but to say "equally responsible"?? The road had a hole in it that any person with half a brain would know needed barrricades to be set up and maintained. That they were not and that, during a period of rainfall which resulted in such flooding that this hole was indiscernable, both a motorcycle and the pickup drove into this hole, was in no way the fault of Molly's mother! If the timing of the accidents had been such that her pickup landed on top of the motorcyclist, would you then attibute equal responsibility for any injuries sustained by the motorcyclist How can you possibly make such a.....with all due respect....assinine comment! You are undoubtedly caught up with the allegation, which may or may not be a factual (I have not seen the proof either way re absence or use of seatbelts...just people giving what is for me at this time, second or third hand accounts). as to the lack of seat belts being a factor in Molly's death! Even given that it IS a fact that Molly was not wearing a seat belt and further given that her wearing such seat belt would have prevented her death.............to say that the mother is "equally responsible"!! Your generous spirit knows no bounds....you apparently cannot even conceive that, without the failure on the part of those responsible for maintaining the safety of the roads in their jurisdiction, this accident would NEVER have occurred. By what convoluted path of logic do you take in order to arrive at the conclusion "the mother is equally responsible"? Your comment simply boggles the mind...at least my mind!!

Thailand is slowly becoming another nation of lawsuits. Sue! Sue! Sue!.............If Seat belts were not used....shame on you! end of Story. Going to fast?

Shame on you.....end of Story. Should barriers been in place....Yes........Lawsuit justified........no! Case closed! RIP.....was a very pretty girl.

It's actually worse than you think. Firstly, some <removed> actually removed the makeshift barrier (which is why she drove through, thinking it had been repaired) and secondly; There had been an accident just prior to this one. A motorbike drove through and landed in the hole - in fact her car landed on top of the motorbike - and the ambulances etc had only left 10 minutes or so before she arrived... Nobody bothered, even after the first accident, to try to make the place safe to any degree. RIP Molly and Gordy, everyone is thinking of you mate.

All this talk about seat belts. Especially from farang who may be "of advanced years" like me. Look at your childhood. When did you, or your parents, ever wear a seat belt? Even when the seat belt law was introduced in the UK, they did it a*se about t*t, with only those in the front having to wear one. Those in the front without a belt only killed themselves as they went through the windscreen, where as those in the back, who did not have to belt up, killed the driver and front passenger. Thailand is at least fifty years behind the west in any kind of safety measures. Accept it.

First of all, my deepest condolences to the parents, horrible story, totally avoidable death caused by criminal negligence from authorities. I can just repeat what been said 100s times here, but this story had really touched me and I can't stop thinking that something should be done about it to prevent it repeating.

If, heaven forbid, something like that happened to my son, I would make it the mission of my life to make sure those who are responsible are prosecuted, or even take vengeance myself. But I would never want to be in a situation like that to begin with, and that's why road safety is #1 (and pretty much the only) my concern about living in Thailand in general. Nothing being done at all about road safety education, road improvements, rules enforcement etc, and I can tell that at such pace Thailand soon will be #1 country in the world for traffic accidents-related deaths. If there is one area of community work I would like to be involved in, it will be road safety, to make this place better for everyone.

Problem with that is I don't recall any examples (in other countries) where road safety improvements had grassrootish origin, i.e. average road users ever started some campaign that made a difference?.. please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm deeply sorry if it sounds unethical, but it is situations like Molly's that present an oppotunity to expose systematic flaws, prosecute those who should be held accountable and give a push to other people in power to start thinking about the problem.

Now, fingerpointing and social networks stunts won't help imho, for two reasons 1) Thai mentality, in which noone is held accountable, so any direct accusations will be deleted/ignored at best 2) Thai people don't care about safety in general, just like they don't care about garbage on their frontyards. One way it can work if we can really stir up a storm in social networks, so every Thai/farang person on Facebook knows what happened and who to blame (should be extremely careful about that, not to harm uninvolved people). Seems to me, Thais are more impressed with Chinese tourists' dumb stunts, than with real issues that slowly kill the country.

One way to make this issue noticeable is to create some "thai-style" demotivational photo with all details necessary (i.e. photos, names, places dates), and ask all our thai wifes/friends to share/promote it on facebook, tagging the mayor and municipality in those photos.

Another way is to make this information available to those above the mayor. The general recently announced the hot-line for expats and tourists (number is 1111). Can we make higher ranks aware of this terrible story if our good thai friends once again, call this hotline many times and flood their system with reports about Worawut Songyod's deeds?

In the USA this would be grounds for a Wrongful Death Action both Criminal and Civil against the Government.

But, Walking the streets of Bangkok it is apparent no body gives a damn about the conditions of the roads and sidewalks.

Dear General/PM can you send someone down to jerk a knot in somebodies ass, Please !!

You ain't in Kansas anymore.

SDM

All 3 of my kids always wore a seat belt, when I was driving. They had baby seats, infant seats etc.

I see the mother is Thai so I doubt she was wearing a belt. Can't shout foul if playing foul.

" I see the mother is Thai so I doubt she was wearing a belt. Can't shout foul if playing foul. ".

Does this mean that if the mother wasn't wearing a belt then the death of her child is deserved?

Edited by SDM0712

" I see the mother is Thai so I doubt she was wearing a belt. Can't shout foul if playing foul. ".

Does this mean that if the mother wasn't wearing a belt then the death of her child is deserved?

No, it just mans it partly the mothers fault for not protecting her child - if in fact the child was in the front seat, that isagainst the law for a child under 10 to be in the front seat.............if she had been in the back seat, its possible she may have survived - just no one knows - if she was unrestrained in the back satm she in fact becomes a projectile..........the pain of this knowledge in the mother's mind must be heart breaking. I have seen Thai Mothers commit suicide for far less than this - RIP Molly, and May God forgive the Mother.

SDM

No, I'm really not kidding, I don't know any.

Well now you know we're out there. Im another that makes my kids buckle up and sit in car seat.

This is a hoax. No foreigner ever died in Thailand because of negligence and inhuman dis-compassion. Thais are perfect. The government is perfect. The roads are perfect. Everything is perfect.

All the above quoted from a TAT news release.

Burn a picture of the Mayor to Molly, or put his picture next to her and see how fast he will come to apologise. It is laughable that 3 months later and he still has not met his clowns about this matter. Perhaps he is too busy giving out land titles to bother.