Pattaya Floating Market owner reports damaging Facebook posts to Police

Lite Beer

Hate the place, went with my wife looking to buy some fresh produce, she was allowed in for free but they wanted 80 baht from me. We walked away and they lost business but always another fool following who will pay someone for the right to spend money in thier market. Saw a lot of tourists just turning and walking away after all it is just another market with exactly the same wares.

Ditto, not worth going there never mind paying a foreigner entrance fee!

I used to live "next door" to the Floating Market. Never had been inside until about 3 years ago, when my brother came to visit me.

It was free entry then (or at least we where not charged anything).

After 5 minutes inside, we looked at each other and said, "Well seen enough of this nonsense/crap, lets go for a beer."

What are the BIB going to do, send a crack squad to China to hunt these people down who complained of the scam and blatant rip off of tourists? The Junta has no control over the world and thier thoughts and opinions.

Why do you turn a story about a market owner complaining to the police into a rant about the Junta? A little out of context.

In the middle of January, we went to the Pattaya Floating Market (5 farangs and my thai wife) and we had to pay 1000฿ ((200฿ x 5) free for thai) to be allowed in, and buy a few souvenirs. I do understand people who aren't very happy with that.

• Like 1

What are the BIB going to do, send a crack squad to China to hunt these people down who complained of the scam and blatant rip off of tourists? The Junta has no control over the world and thier thoughts and opinions.

After living for years in Singapoor I learned to dislike the behavior of most Chinese people the hard way.

However, racism is not a one way road.

Can anyone imagine the outcry over here after this happened?

Somchai-was-here_450_zpsvtqehblz.jpg

• Like 1

Thais just dont seem to understand that if people take the trouble to criticise their product online it's probably not some huge international plot to defame them, but simply because the product really is crap.

Yes it is potentially quite scary. It can also apply to services rendered.

I have had direct experience of this when I simply complained to an Australian company because their Thai agents were not making it easy for me to order and buy a particular product imported from Australia and which I wanted to buy on a regular and ongoing basis.

That email was passed back to the Thai agent and shortly after I received an email from their lawyer in Bangkok announcing they were going to sue me for defamation. blink.png

I soon learnt the realities of this ridiculous draconian law in that you can still be sued and you can still be guilty even if what you say is right! Totally bizarre.

How else can a customer voice their dissatisfaction?

I hope you forwarded the email on to the Australian company.

Preferably together with a few well chosen Aussie expletives.

• Like 1

Thais just dont seem to understand that if people take the trouble to criticise their product online it's probably not some huge international plot to defame them, but simply because the product really is crap.

Yes it is potentially quite scary. It can also apply to services rendered.

I have had direct experience of this when I simply complained to an Australian company because their Thai agents were not making it easy for me to order and buy a particular product imported from Australia and which I wanted to buy on a regular and ongoing basis.

That email was passed back to the Thai agent and shortly after I received an email from their lawyer in Bangkok announcing they were going to sue me for defamation. blink.png

I soon learnt the realities of this ridiculous draconian law in that you can still be sued and you can still be guilty even if what you say is right! Totally bizarre.

How else can a customer voice their dissatisfaction?

I hope you forwarded the email on to the Australian company.

Preferably together with a few well chosen Aussie expletives.

I did and that's probably why I never heard anything further. I think the Australians told them to back off.But while it was hanging over me it was quite unpleasant . I researched the subject of defamation in Thailand and as I said earlier it's quite bizarre and ridiculous.

I often wonder if this is part of the reasons Thai's don't often complain about bad service as vociferously as we foreigners?

Edited by Asiantravel

I wonder what he thought some bloke in an ill-fitting brown uniform could actually do about it? What would he actually say and ask for? Maybe the Chinese meant that they couldn't get in for free? Who cares.

Don't want to appear unsympathetic to your cause , but foreigners winging on about entrance fees to a tourist attraction which sees thousands of domestic tourists on a daily basis - sorry, but you are just not that important to them, if you were - it would be different for sure.

You/we are nothing but a sideline of little significance in the overall scheme of things, remember that, don't stress yourselves - the operators will not, thats for sure!

Would those thousands of domestic tourists, as you say but which I don't see, also be there if they had to pay entrance?

Answers on a postcard please.

• Like 2

I take it neither you nor Chooka actually read the article.

You take it wrongly; I read the whole thing. That said, my comment was a general one and not directed to the place in question at all.

For whatever reason many Thais carry a huge chip on their shoulders and seem to think that the entire world has it in for them. In reality the whole world doesn't care a jot about them, unless they don't do their jobs very well in which case the world may well say so.

• Like 1

Don't want to appear unsympathetic to your cause , but foreigners winging on about entrance fees to a tourist attraction which sees thousands of domestic tourists on a daily basis - sorry, but you are just not that important to them, if you were - it would be different for sure.

You/we are nothing but a sideline of little significance in the overall scheme of things, remember that, don't stress yourselves - the operators will not, thats for sure!

Some do, many dont,

Domestic tourism is way more random than the herds of chinese tour buses on their predefined routes.

Thats not herds of people thats herds of buses!

Dont under estimate them

You take it wrongly; I read the whole thing. That said, my comment was a general one and not directed to the place in question at all.

For whatever reason many Thais carry a huge chip on their shoulders and seem to think that the entire world has it in for them. In reality the whole world doesn't care a jot about them, unless they don't do their jobs very well in which case the world may well say so.

I also read the article,it still didn't make me like the place and I like the Chinese think it is crap. It's just a crap market that charges foreigners to go in and spend money. There are far, far better markets where people can go and buy produce and as a foreigner you don't have to pay for the right to spend your money they are free to browse.

Jeez, i cannot believe some people think this is actually a market - it's a tourist attraction, and it is priced in the same principle as any other tourist attraction !!!

And there are people who believe it`s centuries old too,same like the one in Bkk...............why would anyone establish a market in a stagnant <deleted> pond doesn`t get the alarm clock going,either laugh.png !!

Too funny

Only in Thailand

What is the purpose of his complaint

There is nothing that can be done about it

Charging an entrance fee to go into a market to spend more money ... only in Thailand

Like McDonald charging money to go into the restaurant ... then you have to pay for your meal

• Like 1

Hate the place, went with my wife looking to buy some fresh produce, she was allowed in for free but they wanted 80 baht from me. We walked away and they lost business but always another fool following who will pay someone for the right to spend money in thier market. Saw a lot of tourists just turning and walking away after all it is just another market with exactly the same wares.

+1

When I first went to this market a couple of years ago we were told that I have to display a sticker on my shirt to show I was there with a Thai girl and it was no charge.

Last year my daughter was here with a friend and we took them to the floating Market we were stopped at the entrance by a scruffy young lad who demanded 200 baht each, I showed him my drivers licence and said that one of the girls is with me and the other with my Thai girl friend expecting not to pay and get a sticker, he just barred the way in and demanded the money, I looked past him and saw the place was almost deserted and said to him look the place is empty and we have come here to spend money, he started to get angry so I told him what I thought of him and his market and we managed to spend our money in a place that does not charge us for the privilege. Needless to say we put off anybody that is thinking of going there.

I have been to this one and it is authentic and free. Still it's always the same crap being sold ofcourse... Markets not really my thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Chuk_District#SamChuk.27s_100_year-old_Market

yep been there many times also. A real tourist attraction given its history and no cover charge for foreigners to spend money. The place is always packed with both domestic and international tourists.

The guy is an idiot for complaining that a single chinese posted on his facebook page. He has probably done more damage<removed> than anyone else. He has given more bad publicity making this known and had it picked up on many social media sites and brought it to the attention of the masses.

Sometimes it is just better to shut you mouth and just get on with business

Edited by Rimmer

Jeez, i cannot believe some people think this is actually a market - it's a tourist attraction, and it is priced in the same principle as any other tourist attraction !!!

So never mind about all the stuff for sale ?? What an incredible attraction to be able

to walk on wooden walkways over stagnant water... Charging an entrance fee there

makes about as much sense as charging to enter Tesco Lotus. No wonder they got

savaged on Chinese media.

Tour companies aren't that stupid to believe a comment posted on FB. The owners should just move on and stop wasting their time, whenever you run a business there are bound to be unsatisfied customers and negative reviews. Just counter the bad comments if you believe they did not reflect what your business did.