Egypt announces plans to build new capital

Lite Beer

Egypt announces plans to build new capital

SHARM EL-SHEIKH, Egypt (AP) — Egypt's government announced Friday plans to build a new capital adjacent to Cairo, in a massive new project that in its first phase would cost $45 billion and take up to seven years to complete.

Housing Minister Mostafa Madbouly announced the plan at the opening of the 3-day international economic conference held in this resort city and attended by hundreds of business executives and world leaders. The aim, he said, is to alleviate congestion and overpopulation in Cairo over the next 40 years. By that time, Cairo — currently home to nearly 20 million — would have doubled in size.

The first phase of the ambitious program, Madbouly said, is an expansion of the current outskirts of the capital to the east, adding an additional 105 kilometers (60 miles) of development. The area would be a new administrative center including government offices, diplomatic missions and housing as well as universities, a technology and innovation park, and 10,000 kilometers (6,000 miles) of roads. Madbouly did not say what the new administrative center would be named.

The military has already began constructing the road linking Cairo to the new planned administrative heart of the capital, he said.

Eventually the new capital would expand to 700 square kilometers in size (270 square miles), much of it green spaces, linking up with the Suez Canal zone, Madbouly said, calling the project a source of "pride and inspiration" to young Egyptians

The ambitious plan is the latest mega project planned by the government, headed by President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, who elected in June last year. The other mega project is the expansion of the Suez Canal and the creation of an industrial zone around it.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-03-14

Wonder if the price tag includes homes for the Poor , I know this tin pot dictator is sucking up to Israel, but does he know that by moving east, he will make it easier for Israel to flatten his new Palace, should the need arise in the Future.smile.png

Wonder if the price tag includes homes for the Poor , I know this tin pot dictator is sucking up to Israel, but does he know that by moving east, he will make it easier for Israel to flatten his new Palace, should the need arise in the Future.smile.png

Invariably these projects include homes for the poor- they are timeless distractions used for millennia when one must find common purpose. Cario is certainly one place on earth that desperately needs to expand outwards. The presumption that al sisi is expanding for his own benefit may work as a template to consider past excesses, and may be optional excesses in the future, but al sisi is not stupid- he actually needs to help his people or they will not survive a decade or more and for the same reason that he would be closer to Israel, which you clearly suggests is inappropriate or must have subordinate need.

Statistically, it is likely this "tin pot dictator" (one of the few lights left in the entire islamic world- in many years) has a much greater education than many here and insofar as he is a graduate of the US Command and General Staff College I think it's fair to say "sucking up to Israel" is much less sucking off Israel as you are really suggesting! You do realize nearly all former enemies in the middle east or officially or unofficially working with Israel because of the US debacle that is their regional policies and support for the Muslim Brotherhood? Indeed, the whole world seems to be aware of this.

• Like 2

Very true. In fact last week I heard something I thought I would never hear in my lifetime. Saudi has said it will give Israel clear skies if it wants to attack Iran!

Well considering the Saudis were telling the Americans to "cut the head off the snake" when talking about Iran, that's hardly surprising.

Anything to stop Iran rattling the Shi'a cage in Saudi.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Invariably these projects include homes for the poor- they are timeless distractions used for millennia when one must find common purpose. Cario is certainly one place on earth that desperately needs to expand outwards. The presumption that al sisi is expanding for his own benefit may work as a template to consider past excesses, and may be optional excesses in the future, but al sisi is not stupid- he actually needs to help his people or they will not survive a decade or more and for the same reason that he would be closer to Israel, which you clearly suggests is inappropriate or must have subordinate need.

Statistically, it is likely this "tin pot dictator" (one of the few lights left in the entire islamic world- in many years) has a much greater education than many here and insofar as he is a graduate of the US Command and General Staff College I think it's fair to say "sucking up to Israel" is much less sucking off Israel as you are really suggesting! You do realize nearly all former enemies in the middle east or officially or unofficially working with Israel because of the US debacle that is their regional policies and support for the Muslim Brotherhood? Indeed, the whole world seems to be aware of this.

dont make me laugh, homes for the poor. you have got to be joking. As for one of the leading lights, try telling that to the thousands of political prisoners. I never said it was inappropiate to move closer to Israel, I find it strange, if you want to quote. Most enemies working with israel, not the Iranians. just maybe the US supported stooges. Most leading lights have long ago been shafted by the US and Britain.