Giant 800-Pound Stingray Caught in Thailand

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-18850600-1426362382_thumb.

Scientists just caught a giant, 800-pound stingray in Thailand. And according to researchers, the car-sized sea creature may just be the largest freshwater fish on record.

Researchers have a nickname for the giant ray: “the big one”. The massive creature weighed roughly 800 pounds and has since been released back into the Mae Klong River.

Nantarika Chansue, one of the researchers involved in the catch, said the stingray measured 4.3 meters long. Jeff Corwin, host of the television series Ocean Mysteries, says the catch was an “incredible moment of adventure”. Adding to the excitement of the event, researchers discovered that the creature was pregnant with two foetal rays after performing an ultrasound.

The stingray outweighs two of the previous largest stingrays on record, which weighed approximately 693-pounds. It even beat out the Mekong giant catfish, which is listed as the world’s largest freshwater fish in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Giant stingrays are a critically endangered species, so the catch brought some hope to nature conservationists. An embedded microchip in the giant stingray revealed that the creature had been caught six years ago. The fact that the creature has survived and is now pregnant is hopeful news for the endangered species.

The Mekong giant catfish and giant stingrays both face extinction due to habitat destruction, oil spills, dams, and in the case of the catfish, overfishing.

Thanks to Chansue, who is also a professor at the University of Bangkok, and Zeb Hogan, a biology professor at the University of Nevada, the giant stingray’s critical endangerment has been brought to light. Chansue and Hogan have been working on the program for more than a decade. The catch in Thailand marks the seventh giant stingray the two have caught.

When Chansue catches endangered fish, she tags them with a microchip and releases them back into the wild. The tag allows scientists to study species growth rates and lifespan, which are both largely unknown.

tvn.png
-- 2015-03-14

• Like 2

The Beluga Sturgeon is the largest freshwater fish in the world by a long way and the freshwater stingray in Thailand is third on the list.

http://www.conservationinstitute.org/10-largest-biggest-fresh-water-fish-in-the-world/

A lot of people come to Thailand to specifically target this fish and Jeremy Wade on "River Monsters" managed to catch some.

The Giant Mekong Catfish is stocked in many Thai fishing ponds even up here in Isaan but is certainly endangered in the wild.

• Like 2

Nice to read that they re-released the giant stingray

but once again we are reading about more endangered species in Thailand due to lack of conservation

When will the Thai people all wake up and realize once gone there is no way back

I'll give it my best shot which is to say probably not in my lifetime and maybe not in yours.

"When will the Thai people all wake up and realize once gone there is no way back"

It all begins with the education system, which is woefully lacking here.

​I wish the Thai people luck and success but they have to make it happen for themselves!

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

A pic of the actual stingray would have made this story.

Not the random stingray shown.

Here ya go. I trust that Mr Corwin, who seems to be struggling a bit, did not overly spook the expectant mother.

The 800lb number is a guesstimate, but she measured 14ft X 8ft.

attachicon.gifGiantStingRay.jpg

FYI, That pic is not the one caught. This one is from a TV series and certainly is not 14' across.

• Like 1

Scientists just caught a giant, 800-pound stingray in Thailand. And according to researchers,

the car-sized sea creature may just be the largest freshwater fish on record.

At a wharf on Brampton Island, the ferry that was heading to the wharf to pick us up stopped

about 6meters from us, turned the engines off, i saw all the crew including the captain run

out of the cabin and everyone was looking down into the water,, what the <deleted> says i, as i

also look into the water i see a stingray slowly glide under the ferry and slowly swim away

without any fear or hurry, i congratulate the captain for his respect of the wildlife but what

struck me about this stingray was the size of the animal, the size of the ferry was about the

same as 2 buses side by side and the stingray was bigger than the ferry,, so it was BIG.

But this was in salt water,,

The Beluga Sturgeon is the largest freshwater fish in the world by a long way and the freshwater stingray in Thailand is third on the list.

http://www.conservationinstitute.org/10-largest-biggest-fresh-water-fish-in-the-world/

A lot of people come to Thailand to specifically target this fish and Jeremy Wade on "River Monsters" managed to catch some.

The Giant Mekong Catfish is stocked in many Thai fishing ponds even up here in Isaan but is certainly endangered in the wild.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting.

does that go well with somtam ?

Not sure how its eaten but am told at a local market near here mostly wednesday evenings it sold by the kilo, also some along the meaklong river believe hanging the tail above the house wards off evil spirits and ghosts,

Thais have a long way to go if they want freshwater stingrays off the endangered list.

Once the dams have been built in Laos many of these giant river species will become extinct

If they haven't got the sense to leave where they are not wanted they deserve to go extinct blink.png

That sounds a daft comment.........rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Once the dams have been built in Laos many of these giant river species will become extinct

If they haven't got the sense to leave where they are not wanted they deserve to go extinct blink.png

Well done! - I'm nominating you for the most facetious post on the thread award

• Like 1

That sounds a daft comment.........rolleyes.gif

It was, but to be fair i did put a smiley at the end.

• Like 1

Well done! - I'm nominating you for the most facetious post on the thread award

Jezus, even a smiley doesn't work with some people.