BMA to discuss how to help 268 families facing eviction

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- The so-called “Chao Phraya Landmark” project will affect 268 families living along the Bangkok’s only river.

Bangkok City Clerk Sanya Sheenimit says these families have lived along a portion of the Chao Phraya River between the Rama VII Bridge and the Phra Pinklao Bridge.

“The project will develop riverfront area along this 14-km-long portion,” he explains.

Deputy Prime Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan, also the defence minister, has chaired the committee overseeing this project. To date, this committee has already set up four subcommittees to help with its work.

“We will soon discuss on how to help the affected people,” Sanya says, “By the way, we will also check if any of them have encroached on public areas”.

In addition to people’s houses, there are also eight temples, 36 piers, six hotels and restaurants, and 19 major structures along the planned stretch.

It will take about 14 months to complete a study on the Chao Phraya Landmark project. If the results from the study prove satisfactory, it will take about 18 months to complete the project’s construction.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra says this project will give a new landmark to Bangkok and include bicycle lanes along the river.

“City residents will be able to come here to exercise and indulge in riverside scenery,” he adds.

However, he says the project’s details are not yet finalized and people can still have a say on it.

We will soon discuss on how to help the affected people, Sanya says, By the way, we will also check if any of them have encroached on public areas.

In addition to peoples houses, there are also eight temples, 36 piers, six hotels and restaurants, and 19 major structures along the planned stretch.

I found no mention in the article regarding ownership of the affected land. Having the right to refuse to move might be one way the "affected people" could be helped. I don't imagine the owners of the hotels and major structures are eager to move, especially if they are not properly compensated.

First "“We will soon discuss on how to help the affected people,” Sanya says. = "Soon..maybe next year, and discuss, maybe chat over brandy"

Then, “By the way, we will also check if any of them have encroached on public areas”. = "They are screwed"

What a clever way to say Piss off!

Ah the Bangkok elites...treating their own poor like animals led to slaughter....

First "“We will soon discuss on how to help the affected people,” Sanya says. = "Soon..maybe next year, and discuss, maybe chat over brandy"

Then, “By the way, we will also check if any of them have encroached on public areas”. = "They are screwed"

What a clever way to say Piss off!

Ah the Bangkok elites...treating their own poor like animals led to slaughter....

" ...we will also check if any of them have encroached on public areas”. = "They are screwed"

As they should be.

• Like 1

So, let me get this right!.................Some 268 families, meaning ruffly 1,000 people including Uncle Won Ton Tuk, will be evicted from their shanty roach, rat infected houses that have probably been there since 1800's. Out on the street with no where to go. But they will be taken care of in the next meeting 14 months from now. In the mean while, the families will be hanging out in the alley ways nearby, Uprooted and looking for help, one more skinny hand out begging for loose change. along a busy street. Is this whats in store for these families? But isn't nice to know we will have a new bike path built making a

scenic path for all Bangkokians to enjoy.

Hats off the new regime. Bangkok has long needed a decent place for people to walk along such a great river with its spectacular view of temples etc. London has it, Paris has it, countless others have it, but not Bangkok (or Rome, come to that). Until now, such a view has rarely been possible. It's called giving the river back to the people. There was a very interesting article in the UK Guardian recently describing how access to the Thames has slowly been taken from the people due to dubious practices. Nice to see Thailand, for a change, taking the opposite path.

• Like 1

Yep reading articles in the press is quite difficult. I think the reporters are not up to scratch and just do not get the facts that we on Thai visa would take as standard in the West. Some wing nut on here suggested they would be thrown out immediately when according to the news article it will take 14 months to study this issue.

I do not know how to put this without upsetting the delicate sensibilities of those who would support squatters on the Kings land without lawful excuse.

I too lament what will happen to the squatters but they always knew it would happen. I doubt its been happening since 1800 like some wing nut said but I imagine its been awhile. I went down to this area about a year ago and those resident squatters stopped me looking in the river with some very aggressive tactics and sure ownership actions.Roll on legal ownership despite the whining wing nuts and on with the bike path. You want to live by the river then buy some land with THB.

Regards, even to the wing nuts

So, let me get this right!.................Some 268 families, meaning ruffly 1,000 people including Uncle Won Ton Tuk, will be evicted from their shanty roach, rat infected houses that have probably been there since 1800's. Out on the street with no where to go. But they will be taken care of in the next meeting 14 months from now. In the mean while, the families will be hanging out in the alley ways nearby, Uprooted and looking for help, one more skinny hand out begging for loose change. along a busy street. Is this whats in store for these families? But isn't nice to know we will have a new bike path built making a

scenic path for all Bangkokians to enjoy.

Read it again. They are still looking into the project. So the project is not a go, so nobody is moving yet.

Once they decide the project will happen they will have something worked out for those people before they are forced to move.

To me it sounds like allot of disruption and money to make a park. If they really want a place on the river maybe they should look around for other spots

that would not effect so many business and houses. Make then move the refinery.

''It will take about 14 months to complete a study on the Chao Phraya Landmark project. If the results from the study prove satisfactory, it will take about 18 months to complete the project’s construction.''

14 months for a study, long time, but only 18 months to complete the construction short time,