Day trip for some farang life :-) Korat or Khon Kaen?

Kenny202

HI all. Live out in the sticks and once every three months we want to go to a mall, eat Mcdonalds....you know all the stuff I didn't even do when I lived in Australia haha. I been to Khon Kaen and great for that sort of thing. I think Korat is a bigger city, never been there but does it have as much or more farang stuff...malls etc as Khon Kaen?

By the way, didn't have a lot of time last time in Khon Kaen. Ended up going to I think a newer "Central"? mall off the main road in. Just wondering if there are other large mall complexes and does the city have like a central shopping district (old city)

Any advice appreciated

I can not write about Korat. I only know that there is "The Mall", quite big and probably offering the "usual" mall stuff.

I doubt that Korat is much more "farang friendly" as Khon Kaen.

I regularly go to Khon Kaen, mainly for shopping purposes (which is not your point as I understand).

Generally Khon Kaen is always good for a day trip.

As JLCrab writes: Central mall and the "bar" area around the Pullman are the main spots.

Central: not as huge/diverse as the top spots in Bangkok/Pattaya.

But a big selection of food places (no comment from me on McD whistling.gif ).

Pullman has good coffee and pastry European style.

At the Pullman area there is a fairly old Tukcom electronics center.

There are misc western food places (pasta/pizza etc.) scattered around the city and at the big lake.

A relatively small old shopping center with some food places is "Fairy Plaza".

Another McD. KFC and Pizza Company tongue.png

As for most upcountry towns there is nothing like a historic center. Just a market area which is kind of the center.

Very busy, crowded streets.

No architectural highlights except big temples tongue.png

BTW: Google streetview has now an extended coverage of Khon Kaen.

View from Pullman towards the "farang ghetto":

https://goo.gl/maps/WHno3

Central Plaza:

https://goo.gl/maps/VSk46

Fairy Plaza (back entrance):

https://goo.gl/maps/oeXU5

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

If decide on Khon Kaen and you are looking for cheap clothes try the Pratunam market on the main highway just south of Makro, there are hundreds of stalls there, there is even one in the new part that sells extra-large sizes for Westerners, up to 4XL.

If you are looking to buy some Western food to take back to the village then there is a small shop that sells bacon, sausages, pies and ham near to the Pullman. The shop is called "Khonkaen Food Supplies" and it's in the small row of shops to the right of the Pullman when exiting the hotel.

Edited by nahkit
  • Like 1

I live a 1 hour drive SW of Khon Kaen and I have visited Khon Kaen and Korat many times. Without doubt and without getting into too much detail, I prefer Khon Kaen over Korat for a day trip by far! ...but I like Roi Et much better than either of these 2 cities and I think that most people would agree. My advise is to visit Roi Et!!

Edited by laubau
  • Like 1

Just to note then that the main farang ghetto in Khon Kaen where most all the farang bars are located is near the Pullman Hotel not too far from the Central Plaza on the Highway 2.

The op seems to be a family man and looking for shopping and McDonalds. Don't think he is interested in the seedy buy a wife bar area

Just to note then that the main farang ghetto in Khon Kaen where most all the farang bars are located is near the Pullman Hotel not too far from the Central Plaza on the Highway 2.

The op seems to be a family man and looking for shopping and McDonalds. Don't think he is interested in the seedy buy a wife bar area

Far from "buy a wife bar area".

You can walk with the family everywhere.

Its NOT Pattaya tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

considering its size, KORAT is incredibly dull, compared to Khon Kaen or Udon. The best thing in Korat is the Highway to Khon Kaen and Krungthep ;-)

Yer , I am not knocking--Khon Kean either & its worth noting that IMO it has some of the best hospitals in Thailand, as that's where a lot of the medical training is done (heart, Dentistry etc) = hence a lot of medical students. I go to the heart university there every 3 months for a full check up (ECG--Ultra scans ...etc) every-bit as good as Bumrungrad--700-Bhat (in fact it was a doctor from Bumrungrad that recommended I do this when he found out where I lived)

A new centra mall in Khon K.....yer Udon now has 5 shopping mall's.

Look at the history of Udon--- Air America, USA Army ....etc They had bases there throughout the V. War, service guys marrying Thai girls back in the 70s --taking them home but coming back with children to retire. If your Pasa Thai isn't so good---that's not a problem in Udon. 35 minutes from Lao--Thai's walk across for 20 baht & return with whatever you drink-- My wife brings me back french wine that I would have a problem to get in BKK at such a cheap price. 2 large bar area's (if that's your scene, ) Hotels in the very middle of town wi-fi etc at under 400 Baht a night. I have often talked to guys in some of the nightclubs saying we haven't got this in Korat (2nd biggest city--in pop terms).. Lots of Lao girls.

If your a family guy--it has 2 very large water fun parks , surf pools etc, fun parks--wall climbing etc I could go on---& on.....& on.......

& yes I am thinking of running for mayor there next yer............wub.png

Seriously though Khon K is a nice town--(Korat isnt IMHO) ---Udon is the smallest of the 3 --but (I think) beats them both hands down in every dept (except medical)

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1

True, but note to self for future trips alone. Seedy and McDonald's are like bacon and eggs :-)

And I'll be doubly making sure my missus doesn't see that area too! Thanks guys for the heads up and all the info

Edited by Kenny202

sanuk711, on 16 Mar 2015 - 12:22, said:
siam2007, on 16 Mar 2015 - 06:39, said:

considering its size, KORAT is incredibly dull, compared to Khon Kaen or Udon. The best thing in Korat is the Highway to Khon Kaen and Krungthep ;-)

Yer , I am not knocking--Khon Kean either & its worth noting that IMO it has some of the best hospitals in Thailand, as that's where a lot of the medical training is done (heart, Dentistry etc) = hence a lot of medical students. I go to the heart university there every 3 months for a full check up (ECG--Ultra scans ...etc) every-bit as good as Bumrungrad--700-Bhat (in fact it was a doctor from Bumrungrad that recommended I do this when he found out where I lived)

Look at the history of Udon--- Air America, USA Army ....etc They had bases there throughout the V. War, service guys marrying Thai girls back in the 70s --taking them home but coming back with children to retire. If your Pasa Thai isn't so good---that's not a problem in Udon. 35 minutes from Lao--Thai's walk across for 20 baht & return with whatever you drink-- My wife brings me back french wine that I would have a problem to get in BKK at such a cheap price. 2 large bar area's (if that's your scene, ) Hotels in the very middle of town wi-fi etc at under 400 Baht a night. I have often talked to guys in some of the nightclubs saying we haven't got this in Korat (2nd biggest city--in pop terms).. Lots of Lao girls.

If your a family guy--it has 2 very large water fun parks , surf pools etc, fun parks--wall climbing etc I could go on---& on.....& on.......

Seriously though Khon K is a nice town--(Korat isnt IMHO) ---Udon is the smallest of the 3 --but (I think) beats them both hands down in every dept (except medical)

In terms of the latest population data in the NE, Udon Thani is the largest city, followed by Korat and Khon Kaen. For your info, Samut Prakan is the 2nd largest city in Thailand.

The mall in korat have most things for falangs and have a swimingpool and a water park for kids , if you up for a beer you find a bar in basement if you want to be served by pretty ladies and see some falangs . klang plaza is another mall not as big by the yamo monument. Most big markets are open in night time like (save one market ) open from 6 pm..sells most things and have cheap falang food . If you looking for something to do in day time with your family a recommend Art in korat and korat Zoo.

Udon has good medical at wing 23 air base. I had 3 tumors removed from my bladder there and was in the hospital there for 5 days and the cost for everything was only 11,500 baht ad the doctor there are miliarty doctor and are very good. The first time there may take you 2 hours to see a doctor but well worth it for what they do ad the cost

• Like 1

I agree with Sanuk711: Udon Thani is the place to go. It's got everything a Farang could want which is why its expat population is slowly but surely increasing.

I disagree regarding medical though. The Bangkok Hospital there is reputed to be one of the best in Thailand.

In terms of the latest population data in the NE, Udon Thani is the largest city, followed by Korat and Khon Kaen. For your info, Samut Prakan is the 2nd largest city in Thailand.

Thank you for the info laubau, Its a pity you do not give a link with it--I would be interested, Wiki has just updated its info on Thai city's 2 months ago (Jan 2015 pop numbers) & rates Udon as number 6 largest---Korat is still larger at number 3, & you are right Udon is now bigger than KK.Thanks for the correction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Thailand

I agree with Sanuk711: Udon Thani is the place to go. It's got everything a Farang could want which is why its expat population is slowly but surely increasing.

I disagree regarding medical though. The Bangkok Hospital there is reputed to be one of the best in Thailand.

Yes I am not saying it doesn't have adequate medical facilities for the town MosMing (& I did forget that it has the main government Cancer hospital for Issan there--Udon) Its just that KK still does have a lot of the Medical Universities in place there, Most of the dentist around Thailand also come from one of its Uni's ---which is great as the top dental care around both KK & Udon is so much cheaper than elsewhere.

Well the day trip became a 3 dat trip :-) Khon Kaen, Udon and Nong Kai. Well won't be rushing back to Nong Kai. Doesn't have a lot in the way of farang or tourist stuff for that matter. Markets were ok but hardly local handicrafts. We drove 15 km out to see a waterfall and a beach only to be told the "beach" washed away and the waterfall. ...Blank stare. 7th most liveable city in the world for retirees? Huh?

KK nice enough place. Great area down by the Lake and the big temple there is one of the best I seen. My pick however for a little taste of farang life every now and then wud be Udon. Big and busy but still relatively easy to get around and navigate. Some really cool and cosmopolitan restaurant areas too. Many malls. Really liked it. Incidentally stayed in a really cool little hotel called the U'D Hotel just out of the main city. 500THB a night and as far as country hotels go lovely. All IMO of course.

I have always found everything I need in Korat.

Op is looking for a day trip for shopping and some farang food.

Why all of the wana be Lonely Planet reviews of culture, bars, populaion, architecture and the like?

For what he asked about, Korat is very convenient.

Go to the "Power Mall" or " Klang Plaza", or both..they are close.

You will not be disappointed.

Edited by willyumiii

Udon has many things , a respectable farang living in Udon does not want .

No, more Farangs .

Go to pattaya and find a wife , then come to Udon, and retire , same as most respectable, Udon farangs .wub.png

We do not want you young bucks here , understand wai2.gif

Edited by elliss

Udon has many things , a respectable farang living in Udon does not want .

No, more Farangs .

Go to pattaya and find a wife , then come to Udon, and retire , same as most respectable, Udon farangs .wub.png

We do not want you young bucks here , understand wai2.gif

Haha! But retired sex tourists seem ok according to your post? How strange.

A little bit insulting to the guys in Udon, me thinks.

• Like 1

Living in korat for a long time can u tell me what we don`t have here please... you saying( I have often talked to guys in some of the nightclubs saying we haven't got this in Korat (2nd biggest city--in pop terms). If you want to now where the night clubs are or pattaya style agogo just ask me and I will pm you..