A Question On Meats.

Mr Jones

A question on meats.

I eat mostly meat, fish and dairy produce with some green vegetables, in fact a very low Carbohydrate diet, no bread, no rice, no potatoes, nothing from a factory. Will I be able to easily continue this way of eating in Thailand?

Lez :o

A question on meats.

I eat mostly meat, fish and dairy produce with some green vegetables, in fact a very low Carbohydrate diet, no bread, no rice, no potatoes, nothing from a factory. Will I be able to easily continue this way of eating in Thailand?

Lez :D

Coming to Thailand and don’t eat rice :o

Don’t worry, everything on your list is available :D

Edited by geoffphuket

Ohh ...noooo you can't continue this way of eating in Thailand..

we dont eat meat ..we eat insect :o

ok..seriously , you can continue eating what do you want in TH ..all depends on you..

you will be fine in TH and its easy to eat the way you like though :D

Insects are good for protein, but crickets are a bit crunchy I prefer (I forget the name) large grubs deep fried, the little frogs also taste ok but I can live without them.

I was thinking more of eating out in restaurants, when I was in India the Indians thought I was quite mad because I gave the rice to the beggars and ordered more expensive meat.

Lez

:o

Eating out you're gonna get carbs on your plate. You might get a sliver of carb-friendly asparagus or broccoli, but it'll be surrounded by potatoes and carrots. Sooner or later you'll succumb to temptation and start eating the bad stuff, and once that happens it's all over. My advice: cook your own meals at home.

My advice: cook your own meals at home.

I second this advice.

If you want to eat healthy in Thailand and u can't afford to eat at expensive restaurants (where they use high quality ingredients and are health conscious) every meal, you have to cook for yourself.

A question on meats.

Lez :D

Thailand is a carnivores paradise. The meat you get here is not like at home. Go to the market and the meat you get was walking about that morning. The fish also the same. You may struggle to get good cheese and dairy unless you are in the more popular parts. When I first came here someone said to me " give it 6 months and you'll be eating rice for breakfast " and I laughed. BUT they were right. Find a local market and use it. They soon get to know you and you get excellent food CHEAP.

Enjoy, Dunc :o

The Thai diet is quite low in carbs, which may explain why very few Thais are overweight. My experience is that most people who switch to a more or less traditional Thai diet (from a farang diet) will quickly lose weight if they're overweight (the exceptions are overeaters who simply don't know when to stop eating).

In Thai cuisine virtually the only common carbohyrate served regularly at meals is rice, and you can self-regulate the intake since you're never served a 'set meal' or plate but rather take what you want.

Whenever I visit western countries for more than a week, my weight immediately begins to climb, even when I'm eating relatively little, due simply to the (over-) abundance of carbs in most ever meal. Coming back to Thailand, my weight normalises within a few weeks. My cholesterol count fluctates similarly, higher in the west, lower in Thailand.

I have a German friend who has lived in Thailand 15 years, eating mostly a Thai diet, and very slim. Last year he visited his home country for three months and came back with a huge belly, noticeably fatter face and pudgy arms. Within two or three months back in Thailand he was back to his old slim self.

I have a friend here in BKK who is on a strict "no carbs" type diet, and when we eat out (every day for lunch) he tends to order stir fried meat dishes, egg and omlette type dishes, salted/fried fish, etc. Usually this dishes are served with rice but he just asks for "mai ow khao" ("don't want rice"). However it's usually necessary to order two or three dishes because otherwise it's not enough food, without the rice. So be prepared to start ordering multiple dishes more than you normally would, and paying accordingly!

Just my two bits worth though I must say that I think this kind of diet is really not healthy, it's not balanced at all when you're avoiding vegetables and fruit because they have carbs in them. Eating all the salty, fried and fatty meat dishes you want with two bits of lettuce does NOT constitute a balanced diet by any stretch of the imagination and cannot be healthy.

However if you insist on doing this it's quite managable here, he's found.

Not eating vegetables on a low carb diet is the most misinformed quotation I here

Another is it is not a balanced diet.

Well I do eat many types of veg

My menu for today.

Breakfast, three large egg omelette with ham and a few bean sprouts.

Lunch, 2 lamb chops with a mixture of boiled broccoli, cauliflower with butter topping and some mashed turnip.

Dinner is fish (trout) with a wedge of lemon and a very large mixed salad, I make my own salad dressing from lemon juice and olive oil a chopped up tomato and a small onion with a little hot chilli sauce .

Now is that an unbalanced diet?

Now what are you having?

Not eating vegetables on a low carb diet is the most misinformed quotation I here

Another is it is not a balanced diet.

Well I do eat many types of veg

My menu for today.

Breakfast, three large egg omelette with ham and a few bean sprouts.

Lunch, 2 lamb chops with a mixture of boiled broccoli, cauliflower with butter topping and some mashed turnip.

Dinner is fish (trout) with a wedge of lemon and a very large mixed salad, I make my own salad dressing from lemon juice and olive oil a chopped up tomato and a small onion with a little hot chilli sauce .

Now is that an unbalanced diet?

Now what are you having?

lunch: usually a tuna sammich or a two egg omellete with toast and tabasco

supper: whatever is in the cupboard in a can or khao pat or kweiteo depending on peoples' movements...sometimes roast chiken or marinated and baked roast ribs...do a lasangne on occasion but that is a BIG EVENT...

available local ingredients are the criteria...