Witness of 2010 temple crackdown deaths 'abducted by military'

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Surely, given that the deaths in the wat have already gone through the courts, this woman already gave all her evidence in court?

Only for an inquest, Interesting Read , some Facts people find hard to fit in with their anti red shirt rhetoric

Court Inquest Dispels Oft-Recited Myths Of 2010 Crackdown

BANGKOK — A court ruled today that the Thai military was responsible for the deaths of six civilians, including a pair of volunteer medics, who were seeking haven inside a temple during the 2010 crackdown on Redshirt protesters in Bangkok.

In a lengthy reading lasting almost an hour, a judge told a packed courtroom today that residues of bullets found inside the victims' bodies were the same type of ammunition issued to soldiers operating in the area at the time of the shooting.

The ruling by the Southern Bangkok Criminal Court shed light on what is considered the darkest episode in the violence that gripped Bangkok between April-May 2010, when the military cracked down on Redshirt protesters who were demanding then-Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajeeva dissolve parliament and organize a new election.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1375784432&section=11

Edited by ExPratt
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Surely, given that the deaths in the wat have already gone through the courts, this woman already gave all her evidence in court?

Only for an inquest, Interesting Read , some Factw people find hard to fit in with their anti red shirt rhetoric

Yes. For an inquest. But it was in court under oath. So there would be no point making her disappear if she has already given evidence in court.

Only for an inquest, Interesting Read , some Factw people find hard to fit in with their anti red shirt rhetoric

Yes. For an inquest. But it was in court under oath. So there would be no point making her disappear if she has already given evidence in court.

Well in any trail she would have to be cross examined I suppose . I wont pretend to know how they carry on with their Judicial process , if there is one , here

Now, now, cool down. The fact that you think some policies or ideologies are despicable doesn't mean they are. Would you accept a statement by the 'great' North Korean leader that some countries, like Australia for instance, have despicable policies and ideologies? As 'elected' Head of state he'd be in a better position to judge than you, don't you think ?

Anyway, all this doesn't help the witness who may have been abducted, allegedly by army personel and maybe by others. On the other hand she might be on the run to apply for asylum somewhere. Who knows.

The first half of your post makes no sense.

And what a system that can disappear a citizen for a week without question or explanation, do you think it a good one?

The first paragraph you don't agree with I would imagine. That's why stating not to understand is easier.

AS for your second sentence, you assume 'the system' disappeared a citizen. There's no proof of that. Allegedly the lady is abducted, allegedly by the military. as her relative said. That may or may not be true. That's bad, allegedly.

If it was the military they have the legal right under the Military Law. For two more days. If it wasn't the military than a crime seems to have been committed, assuming she was abducted.

PS I don't want to sound like a guardhouse lawyer, but when the lady voluntarily went with the alleged military strictly speaking she wasn't abducted. Mind you, by now she might be held by some against her will.

Defending the indefensible

Actually he's discussing an article that is weak at best and the conjecture of good people like yourself.

Well in any trail she would have to be cross examined I suppose . I wont pretend to know how they carry on with their Judicial process , if there is one , here

She would have been cross examined in the inquest. They don't just come in and tell a story without it being challenged in some way.

She would have been cross examined in the inquest. They don't just come in and tell a story without it being challenged in some way.

Yes they would be questioned for details and make sure its not conjecture. But in any court case against an individual her story would not be taken as gospel and I would assume the defense would like a go at her story or not to turn up and present it. They just cannot take something from a witness at an inquest and present it as fact

Yes they would be questioned for details and make sure its not conjecture. But in any court case against an individual her story would not be taken as gospel and I would assume the defense would like a go at her story or not to turn up and present it. They just cannot take something from a witness at an inquest and present it as fact

They can present it as evidence. Even if they were cross examining her in a future court case, they couldn't take what she said as fact.

In fact they can present witness testimony as fact. Then, as noted above, it gets challenged.

What we don't know yet is if she was officially detained and if so, why.

This is an empty story so far.

We can always use the red-shirt argument. "She was abducted by red-shirts, masquerading as soldiers, in order to discredit the junta". Turnabout is fair play.

Who knows what happened here, or at the temple back in 2010. The only way the truth would ever be discovered is to have an international inquiry, and that will never happen. Any Thai inquiry into the events of 2010 would suffer from bias.

the only way to know what "really" happened would be through a witness that was there

it would appear that all involved have been silenced by either redshirt terrorists (I believe) or the army (don't believe)

we actually already know what happened - people in the temple were shot by the army - what is unknown is the justification - I believe the nurse was caught in the crossfire and was killed accidently - that's what happens when in a live fire zone and armed terrorists flee to your location - you get caught up in it from somewhere you thought was reasonably safe

If you read the story you would know it say's she witnessed two medics being shot,

But you spin and spin, " It would appear that all involved have been silenced by either redshirt terrorists (I believe) or the army (don't believe)"

you claim "that's what happens when you are in a live fire zone" were they in fact in a live fire zone OR did it become shoot out after they had set up a MEDICAL ZONE????

Spin spin spin, but hey you can always say as you said here before, about people that don't agree with you, you hope they are pursued, detained and deported,,,,,

Made a few friends with that statement huh?

Bangkok Post and others picking this up and running with it now. NCPO issuing denials....

Other possibilities are some reds abducting her (why? Unless she is changing her tune in court) or completely unrelated to this case situation (hmm).

The absolute denial of some that it could be the military on here is laughable. Read up on a bit of history from 1932 until now and you can see the army are not these paragons of virtue you make them out to be.

• Like 1

Bangkok Post and others picking this up and running with it now. NCPO issuing denials....

Other possibilities are some reds abducting her (why? Unless she is changing her tune in court) or completely unrelated to this case situation (hmm).

The absolute denial of some that it could be the military on here is laughable. Read up on a bit of history from 1932 until now and you can see the army are not these paragons of virtue you make them out to be.

Prachatai suggested it might have been related to the recent court bombings. http://prachatai.org/english/node/4865

I'm not sure why she would need to be picked up 5 years after the wat deaths, 3 (?) years after the inquest and a year after the coup. The idea that the military would need to draw her out with a phone call seems a bit far fetched too.

• Like 2

"the military may detain individuals without charges for up to seven days"

She was arrested on the 11th of March meaning it is only 5 days so far. Would one not wait until the 8th day to start talking about abductions and disappearances?

This is the most obvious form of ​editorial bias in mass media that I have ever seen so far post May 22nd. They really are stretching to make up some dirt on the Junta. The news story is simply over-hyped to increase readership numbers ergo it is a sensationist story and the red apologists are salivating and clawing at the propaganda like a blooded pit bull on yaba.

All they have done is inadvertently shown the Junta to offer some semblance of freedom of speech by allowing this article to be published in the first place.

It is akin to a news story headlining "Man kept in jail for 6 years and the government refuse to free him" Never mind that he had a 7 year non parole sentence!!

Oh Khaosod. You really are going down hill.

Why would a witness need to be detained? Wait, I know it, for an attitude adjustment.

Bet when the court case proceeds, she has forgotten everything she has witnessed.

Again, a logical fallacy.

Why, because you say so?

And may I ask why you consider yourself to know everything better than anyone else on this forum.

I bet you're on ignore with the majority of posters, since I see nobody bother to reply to your posts in most threads.

Your "bet" is the same logical fallacy.

There are literally endless possibilities and what large organization anywhere in the world is filled only with "paragons of virtue"?

Abduction is a serious crime in Thailand - unless, of course, you are a member of the military acting on behalf of the self-appointed government.

Time for the cowed mass media to start doing its job and making this story front page news until the whereabouts and welfare of this young lady are verified and she is returned safely to her family..

In the meantime, perhaps all those expats who keep telling me that "nothing has really changed" since democracy was a abandoned in Thailand should have a little re-think.

• Like 2

Abduction is a serious crime in Thailand - unless, of course, you are a member of the military acting on behalf of the self-appointed government.

Time for the cowed mass media to start doing its job and making this story front page news until the whereabouts and welfare of this young lady are verified and she is returned safely to her family..

In the meantime, perhaps all those expats who keep telling me that "nothing has really changed" since democracy was a abandoned in Thailand should have a little re-think.

So has Billy the forest activist been found and those guilty punished? Or the Moslem HR lawyer?

Abductions and killings have been rife in Thailand and often it's protesters against the in power regime, those who know some thing and have or might blab, or just for rubbing some hiso or political big wig up the wrong way.

That's what happens when you have an inept corrupt police force and a government run by criminals and immoral politicians; and those who know they can and do avoid justice for just about any crime.

• Like 2

so lets be clear about what you just said - are telling people here what they should be thinking ? right ?

Is that your attempt at "attitude adjustment" lol

• Like 1

She is for her free speech attitude adjustment, by the people who claim to return Thailand to a democracy bah.gif

don't be so sure you have your facts right, I'd be more inclined to blame elements of the terrorist redshirts for this abduction or her removal under threat of being silenced - read my above post

DELUSIONAL blink.pngrolleyes.gif

At least we know why since your on a Whisky diet must of been a good session

It's all over twitter now with a video on youtube. She was being held in military custody. Tweet by @KhaosodEnglish

'Missing' witness of 2010 crackdown deaths was in military custody after all. Footage: Details forthcoming.

Edited by 96tehtarp

Only Bangkok Post has reported on it, unless you're including red shirt's Dubai-based ironically-named Peace TV as "others".

Anyway, no other legitimate news agency is reporting on it at all and certainly no news team is "running with it". coffee1.gif

Edited by Equals

Ok. Let's hear it from the junta followers that this is totally reprehensible.

Or will you be saying there must be more to it.

Ahh the sound of those ducking for cover.

So you know why she was "arrested"?

Does it matter why? The fact is she was arrested but the Junta apologists harped on about it being red shirts in disguise.

Only Bangkok Post has reported on it, unless you're including red shirt's Dubai-based ironically named Peace TV as "others".

Anyway, no other legitimate news agency is reporting on it at all and certainly no is "running with it". coffee1.gif

KhaosodEnglish reports:

"Missing 2010 Crackdown Witness Emerges from Army Custody [VIDEO]

BANGKOK — A witness of the deadly military crackdown on Redshirt protesters in 2010 emerged from six days military custody today, a day after the junta denied any involvement in her arrest."

Does it matter why? The fact is she was arrested but the Junta apologists harped on about it being red shirts in disguise.

And many others were suggesting that the military had killed her off.

It appears that her arrest has nothing to do with 2010. It could actually bring into question her whole 2010 wat story.

• Like 1

Missing 2010 Crackdown Witness Emerges from Army Custody
By Khaosod English

14265724431426573001l.jpg
Screen shot of Matichon TV footage of Nattathida Meewangpla arriving at the Bangkok Metropolitan Police Bureau, 17 March 2015.

BANGKOK — A witness of the deadly military crackdown on Redshirt protesters in 2010 emerged from six days military custody today, a day after the junta denied any involvement in her arrest.

Nattathida Meewangpla, 36, was arrested at her residence in Samut Prakarn by five soldiers on 11 March, her family told Khaosod. The military officers reportedly informed Nattathida's family that she was being taken for interrogation under martial law, which permits the military to detain individuals without charges for up to seven days.

Her relatives told Khaosod that they had not heard from Nattathida since.

Yesterday, Col. Winthai Suwaree, spokesperson of the ruling military junta, denied that Nattathida was in military custody, and attributed her alleged abduction to "individuals with ill intentions" who disguised themselves as military officers.

However, Nattathida emerged this morning when police brought her to the headquarters of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police Bureau in a van belonging to the 11th Army District.

Missing 2010 Crackdown Witness Emerges from Army Custody
BANGKOK — A witness of the deadly military crackdown on Redshirt protesters in 2010 emerged from six days military custody today, a day after the junta denied any involvement in her arrest.

Nattathida Meewangpla, 36, was arrested at her residence in Samut Prakarn by five soldiers on 11 March, her family told Khaosod. The military officers reportedly informed Nattathida's family that she was being taken for interrogation under martial law, which permits the military to detain individuals without charges for up to seven days.

Her relatives told Khaosod that they had not heard from Nattathida since.

Yesterday, Col. Winthai Suwaree, spokesperson of the ruling military junta, denied that Nattathida was in military custody, and attributed her alleged abduction to "individuals with ill intentions" who disguised themselves as military officers.

However, Nattathida emerged this morning when police brought her to the headquarters of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police Bureau in a van belonging to the 11th Army District.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1426572443

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-03-17

And many others were suggesting that the military had killed her off.

It appears that her arrest has nothing to do with 2010. It could actually bring into question her whole 2010 wat story.

Yes it could have nothing to do with 2010. I never said it did.

But the army denied they had her. Posters on here said it was likely the red shirts had her.

Facts are the army has her.

• Like 2

The poor thing must be really scared now. There is not a junta in the world that does not casually resort to torturing people and disappearing them if they feel threatened.

In Thailand there is no need for a junta for that. Speaking out against 'influencial peoples' interest can already be life threatening.

Didn't we have a topic a few days ago about "late Muslim human rights lawyer Somchai Nilapaichit" who disappeared 11 years ago?

BTW as the last weeks we have seen more topics on 'fake' soldiers, I will refrain from further speculating till more info is provided.

you state that as if it is not understood which "party" in Thailand is the most likely to have abducted Somchai...

do you know which group of people that would most likely be?

Either the bad guys, the fake guys or the fake bad guys I guess.

BTW 'understood who most likely' sounds 'almost' sure. Probably based on 'real' evidence ?

no answer?