Navy warns of space debris landing near Phuket

webfact

Navy warns of space debris landing near Phuket
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1426496138_2154-org.jpg
The red square marks the rough area where the debris is expected to land.

PHUKET: -- The Royal Thai Navy has issued a warning to all shipping to stay away from an area of the Andaman Sea where components of an Indian space shot are likely to fall back into the sea after launch.

The exact date of the launch of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) is not certain – it is currently scheduled to be on March 29, and should not be later than April 8.

The launch vehicle will carry a solar-powered 1.38-ton IRNSS-1D regional navigational satellite into geosynchronous orbit. The satellite will provide navigation, tracking and mapping services.

The Navy warned, “Please do not go close to, or pass through that area until after April 8.”

The warning also gave coordinates marking out the expected debris landing area: 9°15’00”N 94°45’00”E;10°05’00”N 95°05’00”E; 9°45’00”N 96°00’00”E; and 8°55’00”N 95°40’00”E.

The centre of the area is roughly 250 nautical miles (460 km) to the west-north-west of Phuket, not far from Car Nicobar Island.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/navy-warns-of-space-debris-landing-near-phuket-51428.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-16

Is it April 1st already?

Not sure when the launch is ... and so incredibly sure excatly where (in terms of margin for error) where the stuff will fall.

Good one lads, happy you have retained your sense of humor.

It would be entirely sensible to bring back the beach umbrellas for that day. If all the customers on the beach then used the wooden frogs to produce a wave of sound - surely the vibrations would cause the debris to serve off course and fall into the sea. ( sorry jet skiers and parascenders - is that a word? )

Best of luck

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Relieved the debris is expected to hit the red square, first I thought it was the yellow stars on the map. You wouldn't want Soi Bangla to take a full hit.

I wouldn't be so hasty with that one, that place could do with a bit of a clean out biggrin.png

Never hear of a place where so many "space debris experts" gather - TV of course!

Just wait until Thailand announces its new space programme and ICBM testing programme to promote Happiness and cement Thailand's position as leader of Asia....

Well goodness gracious me!

I wonder how the expense of this rocket currys favour with the 29.8% of India's 1.21 billion people who live below the poverty line.

Never mind, they can afford it. The UK taxpayers handed £280million to the country in 2012.

Well. you have to reap what you sow after several centuries of conquering, plundering and enslaving most of the countries of the world!

And Indian curry is the favorite English food.

• Like 1

I wonder if it is just coincidence that India is splashing a rocket down just south of Smith Island when just north of that island the Chinese have established a naval and air base on the Burmese Island of Great Coco?

Do you ever wonder why the Chinese build all those roads across the continent. or why they want to pay for a sea channel across the isthmus?

• Like 1