Blood Donor request

Thai-Aust

My friend will be operated on 23rd of March at Ramathibodi Hospital, Bangkok. You can donate at the Blood clinic, 2nd level, building 1, Ramathibodi Hospital. All blood types are needed. This is a request from the hospital since they are in short supply.

Please indicate your donation is for Ms Maliwan นส. มะลิวัลย์ วงษ์พันธ์ตรี. HN 4964771

Thank you for your kindness.

Edited by Thai-Aust

Any blood group will be useful as this is a direct request from the hospital due to short supply.

The requesting blood group for my friend is B. The hospital advised they would accept any when specifically donate to my friend and would reserve group B as required.

Please enlighten me: Must be about 4 or 5 years ago I received a TV sms alert regarding a young boy who was in need of blood for a life threatening liver illness. I had a Thai friend take me to hospital the boy was at. We found the correct place to donate blood and I was handed a form to fill out with my personal information. When I gave the form back to the nurse, she read it over and then told me the hospital would not accept a blood donation from me because I was "too old". (At the time, I was about about 60 but as I recall the nurse said no blood donations over 55 years.)

Note: I am in very good health with no illnesses, obesity, etc.

Does anyone know why this policy exists and does it extend to all Thai hospitals?

BTW: After I returned home, thoroughly pissed, I replied to the TV sms and explained what had happened at the hospital. The TV reply was that the young boy had died - for lack of blood......

would not accept a blood donation from me because I was "too old". (At the time, I was about about 60 but as I recall the nurse said no blood donations over 55 years.)

Note: I am in very good health with no illnesses, obesity, etc.

Does anyone know why this policy exists and does it extend to all Thai hospitals?

According to the Thai Redcross webpage, a blood donor, apart from normal health requirement, must be between the age of 17 - 70 years old. Clarification as follows:

1. donor ages between 60 - 65 : must donate regularly - every 4 months - until reaching the age of 60 y.o.
  2. donor ages between 65 - 70 : must donate regularly - every 6 months - from the age of 60 -65

if you have never donated blood all your life, you cannot be a donor at the age of 55 onwards.

http://blood.redcross.or.th/content/%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%93%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%9C%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%95

Edited by Thai-Aust
  • Like 1

Any member who is able to donate blood PLEASE DO.

When i had my accident i needed 4 units of blood, hospital said to my wife please find 4 people to donate blood, as your husband is getting 4 units, please find people. Yes my wife got people to donate. One of them is a TV member.

Please help as you never know when it might be you needing blood.

• Like 2

Any member who is able to donate blood PLEASE DO.

When i had my accident i needed 4 units of blood, hospital said to my wife please find 4 people to donate blood, as your husband is getting 4 units, please find people. Yes my wife got people to donate. One of them is a TV member.

Please help as you never know when it might be you needing blood.

Thank you.

You're absolutely right, you'll never know one day you or someone you know might need this.

I am a blood donor on England i have given 36 times, as long as your not anemic and fit with no hart problems all blood is usable. They take out the plasma , blood does not

last long , anyone can give blood, it does not matter if its your first time, as long as your fit,

Edited by Thongkorn