What Is D4d ?

svenivan

I am in the process to buy an used pickup and I found a TOYOTA HILUX TIGER D4D that looks great to me.

But I don't understand what that D4D stands for. I reckon it has something to do with the engine.

What is it and what is the difference with the older ones and what is the difference with the new Hilux Vigo? :o

Thanks!

D-4D actually stands for direct Injection 4 Cylinder Common Rail Diesel Engine. Common rail diesels inject a fine mist of fuel into the engine at very high pressure. The result is the same power and refinement as a petrol engine, but with better fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

Toyota D-4D engines are not just noteworthy for their smooth, linear torque, though: that's a characteristic of most modern diesel engines. What D-4Ds are noteworthy for is their unusually high power outputs, equivalent to that of many competitors' similarly-sized petrol engines. The D-4D's rev range is also usefully wider than normal, further enhancing the driving experience.

from

About Hilux D4D

D-4D actually stands for direct Injection 4 Cylinder Common Rail Diesel Engine. Common rail diesels inject a fine mist of fuel into the engine at very high pressure. The result is the same power and refinement as a petrol engine, but with better fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

Toyota D-4D engines are not just noteworthy for their smooth, linear torque, though: that's a characteristic of most modern diesel engines. What D-4Ds are noteworthy for is their unusually high power outputs, equivalent to that of many competitors' similarly-sized petrol engines. The D-4D's rev range is also usefully wider than normal, further enhancing the driving experience.

from

About Hilux D4D

Thanks for the explanation. And thanks for the link. I can find many words and parts there with good explanation.

Take it with a grain of salt, especially the part about "same power as petrol engines of the same size", and any european made diesel will beat Toyota in any department - size, power, torque, economy...

In Thailand, however, Toyota engines are the best (in the same price range).

So what is the diference between D4D in a 4 year old Hilux and the engine in a Vigo?

Or is it same engine?

Not sure if the engine is "exactly" the same, but the VIGO uses the same Commonrail D4D system.

IMHO- the Tiger you are looking at with the D4D engine would be a worthwhile unit, if it is in good condition / well maintained, for a decent price!

So what is the diference between D4D in a 4 year old Hilux and the engine in a Vigo?

Or is it same engine?

Not sure if the engine is "exactly" the same, but the VIGO uses the same Commonrail D4D system.

IMHO- the Tiger you are looking at with the D4D engine would be a worthwhile unit, if it is in good condition / well maintained, for a decent price!

It is 3 years old, 4WD, got 50 k on meter, looks as new inside, under hood, under and everywhere. Price is 380 k plus my old Mazda 2500 that I hardly can get 100 k for.

I think its a good deal.

The Vigo 3 litre has an intercooler added and so a power increase. Variable nozzle turbo (Don't think the earlier d4d's have them) Probably a couple of other things....They have a catalytic converter and so are Euro 3.

That sounds like a good price if it hasn't been mistreated. Crawl over every square inch and check it out before you buy.

I bought the Toyota Hilux D4D Tiger 4WD 3.0 yesterday. I tested it going up to the farm (have not been there with car last 3 weeks) and the road was absolutely terrible. Last 500 m was not even possible to go with a dirtbike. But the Toyota was just passing so smooth, no hesitation.

4WD is fantastic when you come to these roads.

• 3 years later...
hi all

My hilux 2.5 D-4D engine does not built in with intercooler system. Anyone can provide me some solutions on how to to upgrade my engine to the intercooler system. Thanks.

Just fiting the intecooler wont amount to much - you need to change the fuelling and improve the efficiency.

Easy option is a free flowing exhaust system (including the dump pipe) and a performance tuning module.

I used the ones from ENG-TEK on my 2000 model Hilux (1KZ-TE turbo diesel) and Toyota D4D pickup for a significant improvement.

• 8 months later...