Prices of lime skyrocket

Thaivisa News

Prices of lime skyrocket

lime.jpg

Bangkok:- Somtam lovers beware! The price of a main ingredient of the spicy papaya salad dish or lime has skyrocketed to about Bt10 per fruit, the Commerce Ministry has found.

The ministry has surveyed the prices of foods for its monthly report for March and the report found that the prices of prime size of limes have shot to Bt10 from between Bt2 to Bt4 per a fruit.

The ministry has also interviewed foods vendors, who expressed concern that the prices could further rise to Bt12 to Bt13 per fruit.

Lime is seen as a must for making the taste of somtam delicious as it adds the fresh taste of sourness to the dish. Although lime solution is available and some somtam vendors turn to use margarine solution, many people prefer the use of fresh lime instead.

For a spicy dish of somtam plara, the vendor may have to use two or three lime fruits.

In the report, the ministry reasoned that drought had hit several central provinces where lime trees are grown, affecting the production.

The report stated that many somtam vendors have already hoarding lime fruits for fear that the prices would rise further. Many have suspended their sale because of the high price.

The report added that the isaan or northeastern-style foods shops have not increased the prices of their dishes yet but they are expected to increase the prices by Bt5 to Bt10 per dish soon. Lime is also necessary for adding spicy taste to spicy soups and spicy minced chicken, pork or beef.

Many Thais also like to add lime to their fried rice as well as adding lime to their fish source.

• Like 2

That would certainly bring smiles and happiness to lime farmers.

Not really, if there is a shortage that is causing the price rise.... it is because of damage to the trees which could have longer term effect. The lime farmer is not making more, probably less.

I use around 3 to 4 limes a day (and loads of vegetables) for juicing.. here they are around 5bt a piece. Can't loose any sleep over it

Maybe you can't but the problem is twofold. 4 lines at 5baht (10 baht elsewhere) is a fair percentage of the minimum wage for one day (and plenty of people don't make minimum).

#2, it will raise the prices of staple dishes (and we all know once prices go up then tend to stay up) which the army will complain about because the general public will have a harder time getting a decent meal for what they pay.

• Like 1

I use around 3 to 4 limes a day (and loads of vegetables) for juicing.. here they are around 5bt a piece. Can't loose any sleep over it

Maybe you can't but the problem is twofold. 4 lines at 5baht (10 baht elsewhere) is a fair percentage of the minimum wage for one day (and plenty of people don't make minimum).

#2, it will raise the prices of staple dishes (and we all know once prices go up then tend to stay up) which the army will complain about because the general public will have a harder time getting a decent meal for what they pay.

Then let the rice farmers grow limes cheesy.gif

But seriously this happens every year that the prices go up and down. Last year I paid similar prices for them.

Oh lucky me, I have a lime tree at my house full of bit juicy limes.

Me also,planted 30 trees last year.Now i will have to sleep out there with them.

I have 8 trees I bought 2 years ago then 1 meter high,with fruit already on, now some near 2 meters tall, and all are doing well, last month hundreds of flowers on them and much fruit.

My secret is I grew mine in a circle around a coconut tree, shaded, and I water every other day, but we have some rain storms now in Udon.---

I cut limes into small pieces put into a large jug, add sugar. Then boil water and pour on the limes. super cool lime drink, but drank hot with honey and a paracetamol before bed, the cold is sweated out over night.

• Like 1

God intended limes to be used with Gin rather than salad and so a pox on all those somtam munchers who are driving the price up.

Agreed, with a dash of soda! Limes are only 3 baht in Phrae. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

Years ago we had a Thai friend return to Udon from Texas.....with a suitcase literally full of limes. He 'claimed' he was able to offset a good portion of his plane ticket.

I suspect the annual price jump will change.....now that farmers have some new lime hybrids and have learned the fine art of how to make a lime tree blossom and fruit. In my neighborhood, there are two dealers who sell cuttings from their trees for 100 baht each straight from the tree. And they're selling hundreds each week. There's a science, apparently, to knowing how to coax a lime tree into blooming and fruiting at the desired time. Obviously, water is a major contributing factor.

The hybrid limes are large and very juicy....apparently a big hit with people who are accustomed to buying 10-baht size limes this time of the year.