what i miss about past life

opalred

Yeah, it seems quite a few of us miss our local food and drink, much more than the people, places, or things we left behind. There are at least four ways to get your food and drink: 1) go back home and get them, 2) find a reasonable substitute locally, 3) import them yourself, or 4) make them yourself.

I always seem to find reasonable substitutes for the beer and simple meals. Jack is readily available, but wines are more of a problem. Special dishes are difficult to find, but if you have the basic ingredients and are a good cook, most foods tend to be easy to replicate.

My wife is a great cook and baker--part of the multi-tasking criteria required for my woman. She can even taste the ingredients in foods and recreate them using locally procured products. Consequently, I miss very little and haven't been home in eight years. Scratch that, I am home.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What do I miss in the United States that I can't find here in Thailand?

The freedom of Speech to say as I please, with out feer of being thrown in Jail

on trumped up charges. The right to free Assembly. The right to a speedy trial by a Jury

of my peers. My Armada Rights. The right to own property. Freedom of the press.

A decent Pizza made from scratch. Taco Bell. Clean streets litter free. People who

can drive a car , and stay in their own lanes. Freedom from martial law. Standard sizes

plumbing, good water hoes, and fixtures. Cheese at a reasonable price. Beef at a reasonable price.

Potato chips un- vacuumed packed, and full. Cereal at a reasonable price. Sidewalks that is

meant for walking on and smooth, free of food carts and stands. Free of beggars, and hookers.

Free of stray dogs and cats! These are just a few of the things I miss. So Why do I like about

being in Thailand? Cost of living cheaper here. I can save about 60,000 baht a month here, where as

back in the States maybe 15,000 baht a month. I like the small Wit Del shops scattered around the

countryside, a meal for 30 baht. The weather when smoke free, a bicycle ride in the country.

+1

Being an American, I miss:

• Good roads and excellent public transportation
  • Police that are friendly and do their job
  • Doctors that know how to diagnose and are willing to take the time to do it
  • Good American pizza
  • Having intelligent conversations on a daily basis
  • Sailing on San Francisco Bay

I don't miss:

• outrageous prices including drugs and rent, etc.
  • cold weather
  • Like 1

I miss Hot English mustard not the baby food variety on sale here

I miss the sound of my old V8 Ford 4 cylinder toys don't match it

I don't miss the expense and hassle of being booked for travelling a little over the speed limit 200 baht NO Worries tongue.png

Last of al I don't miss having to going to work clap2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

on trumped up charges. The right to free Assembly. The right to a speedy trial by a Jury

A decent Pizza made from scratch. Taco Bell. Clean streets litter free. People who

can drive a car , and stay in their own lanes. Freedom from martial law. Standard sizes

plumbing, good water hoes, and fixtures. Cheese at a reasonable price. Beef at a reasonable price.

Potato chips un- vacuumed packed, and full. Cereal at a reasonable price. Sidewalks that is

meant for walking on and smooth, free of food carts and stands. Free of beggars, and hookers.

Free of stray dogs and cats! These are just a few of the things I miss. So Why do I like about

being in Thailand? Cost of living cheaper here. I can save about 60,000 baht a month here, where as

back in the States maybe 15,000 baht a month. I like the small Wit Del shops scattered around the

countryside, a meal for 30 baht. The weather when smoke free, a bicycle ride in the country.

+1

+2 exept for the Hookers ...wai.gif

Miss also:

same same prices for all, no dual prices but most of all I miss people that can actually drive a car without killing others and then flee the scene bah.gif

A policeforce that are able to investigate crimminalcases without concluding every death as suicide or "a burmese did it"

Dont miss: too many things to mention

• Like 2

As a Canadian who is working on becoming a full time Thai, I WON'T MISS:

Over regulation (licenses, permits, registrations, bylaws ...... ).

Over policing with a "no-give" attitude.

Size XL western women.

The cold. Oh please, no more 5 or 6 months of bone chilling cold (snow included).

The cost of living.

The constant spring summer road repair due to freeze/thaw conditions.

The pressure-cooker, stressed out lifestyle.

The need for communicating by Skype and Viber with my fiancé twice everyday ('real' is coming soon dear).

Hello Thailand.

Size XL western women.

The cold. Oh please, no more 5 or 6 months of bone chilling cold (snow included).

The cost of living.

The need for communicating by Skype and Viber with my fiancé twice everyday ('real' is coming soon dear).

Hello Thailand.

The Trans Am would be cool in Thailand.

Size XL western women.

The cost of living.

Hello Thailand.

Would be bloody hot inside...........biggrin.png

Miss:

- fatty, high calorie food (but you can get that here...just need to pay more for it)

- "clean environment" (a lot of funny smells floating around here)

- skiing

- easy to make money in USA

Don't miss:

- high cost of living (unending taxes and "fees")

- police state

- fat / ugly people who are "Jai rai"

+1

+2 exept for the Hookers ...wai.gif width=20 alt=wai.gif>

Miss also:

same same prices for all, no dual prices but most of all I miss people that can actually drive a car without killing others and then flee the scene bah.gif width=19 alt=bah.gif>

A policeforce that are able to investigate crimminalcases without concluding every death as suicide or "a burmese did it"

Dont miss: too many things to mention

Also, this might get deleted cause it talks about "illegal activities" but I would also say, I miss being able to light up a doobie and be in possession of personal amounts without worrying about going to jail, I don't even bother here it aint worth the risks....

• Like 2

Size XL western women.

The cost of living.

Hello Thailand.

Could be a business opportunity -- buy ones in need of restoration in the states, import them here, restore them here, then sell them at BMW prices.

Man up the real deal is Marmite! Vegemite weak crap from Australia! And I don't miss it because friends bring me Red Cross parcels with it in along with other delights.

I don't miss the cold.

The rain

The grey cloths

Rates

I do miss having my ticket out of there. That a feeling I missed!

Absolutely; Vegemite was 'invented' some twenty years after Marmite - the big question is, why!

Size XL western women.

The cost of living.

Hello Thailand.

Could be a business opportunity -- buy ones in need of restoration in the states, import them here, restore them here, then sell them at BMW prices.

The import stuff is a financial nightmare.........sad.png

Plus I noooooooooooo longer have my workshop tools........sad.png

Going back to England in April for 2 weeks for the first time in 13 years, miss family and friends a bit, but for lifestyle nothing really except......

skyping mother- Mother (83 but still on her feet), 'You'll be alright, you can buy Thai food from the supermarkets or the restaurants'

'No! Mother, I love Thai food but I haven't eaten a Yorkshire pudding for 13 years, some beef with gravy, horse radish, shepherds pie, fish and chips' ...to taste once more would, or hopefully will, be so nice..please some home cooking....

And a long sunset....( family home in Penzance, right on the sea)

13 years? ??

It's not unheard of. 24 and a half for me. Was planning to go back in July but plans put on hold to next year. My father is fit and healthy 84 this year so should still be around next year. Already told him of the postponement and

Don't miss anything much as I am so out of touch with current UK trends. I suppose I miss the English countryside in spring and summer but that's about it.

Being a non-American, the first thing i miss the most and the first thing i order when i arrive in Paris would be a decent cup of coffee......

Am i strange? or?

been here 8 years now and thought first it could be a business opportunity, but it seems like my fellow ex-pats don't want hot coffee due to the heat.

i am a coffee connoisseur, and even with Starbucks being the closest you come to coffee it does not really come close to the real Cafe express....

yes, i am probably strange!

• Like 1

I have only been back to the US and Canada 3 times in the last 10 years, I can say I only miss a couple things:

1. Taco Bell

2. My superbike

3. Chipotle's

4. Real fast food hamburgers - In 'n Out, Whataburger, Five guys, Frisko Freeze (for you folks from Tacoma)

Everything else they can stick in their ear, I don't need it.

Being a non-American, the first thing i miss the most and the first thing i order when i arrive in Paris would be a decent cup of coffee......

Am i strange? or?

been here 8 years now and thought first it could be a business opportunity, but it seems like my fellow ex-pats don't want hot coffee due to the heat.

i am a coffee connoisseur, and even with Starbucks being the closest you come to coffee it does not really come close to the real Cafe express....

yes, i am probably strange!

Monsieur,

After reading your post, I decided to try a coffee in France, on my next visit to Europe (in 2 weeks).

I have not ordered a coffee in France for about 30 years, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, and all that.

But maybe now the French have mastered the art of coffee making.

I might even try French wine - are they up to New World standards yet?

• Like 2

Being an Aussie from Brisbane, I miss-

Boating on the crystal clear warm waters of Moreton Bay

Camping, fishing and generally just lying around on the many island national parks

The (clean!) golden sands of the surf beaches of Stradbroke Is, the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast

The safe driving and excellent roads with very low fatalities

Clean cities, clean air, freedom from rubbish

Police who are not corrupt and actually do their job

Ambulances that turn up

The change of seasons....Brisbane is generally sub-tropical but it can dip down to as low as 16-17 degrees for one or two days each winter

The inclusive, multi cultural and (generally) non-racist society

The freedom to own property (specifically a house)

The freedom of speech, freedom to criticise a poorly performing government

Nine day working fortnights

V8s

I don't miss-

XL & XXL sized aussie ladies (I have kept myself fit)

Nagging Aussie ladies demanding unwarranted respect

Aussies with an unwarranted sense of entitlement

Dole bludgers

Bogans

Stupid reality TV shows that plague every channel

Vegemite (can buy it here in the Best supermarket down the road)

The freedom of speech

Nagging fat ladies? Is that all you experienced of Aussie ladies? Aussie ladies are gorgeous!

Sounds like you miss a hell of a lot from there, whatever keeps you away must be pretty special if it outweighs what you listed you miss!

although not always the case and I am certainly not assuming it is the case for those on here who haven't been home in a decade or more...but it seems to me the expats I have met who haven't been home in "10 years" have not returned home not because they don't want to, its because they simply can't....tax evasion warrant for arrest blah blah.....they don't actually tell me that that is the reason they haven't returned home, usually someone else who is privy to the situation makes it clear that those are the facts......

one guy i know said he hasn't been back in 5 years because he doesn't want to, turns out from a credible source ( i googled this and I saw his police report) he was involved in a hit in run in colorado and he had to escape because if he was caught it would have been like his 15th DUI and he would have been thrown in the slammer....he did eventually admit that this was the case after I asked him if this "rumour" was true.....one guy apparently hasn't gone home because he doesnt want to pay child support....unfortunatley it seems Thailand attracts a lot more of these types of people than other southeast Asian countries and you find them in really weird places, like in the sticks of Nongbualamphu for example...

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 2

I miss the ex missus err i mean another fellows missus.

Dont miss snow or cold winds.

miss corned beef but i save every baht that i beg so i can again afford to buy from big c

Big C still selling corned beef?? You will get it OK in some Foodland stores in Bangkok and Pattaya, but big C anywhere? They stopped selling tins of corned beef about 8 years ago.

opaled!!!....You dont miss Vegemite?..w00t.gif

I do miss a Pie and peas...also

I don't know about pies where you live WeeGee, but surely you can buy frozen peas in any of the big supermarkets.

Unless you are referring to tinned peas, I have never seen them in Thailand.

Maybe the one thing I miss about England, is being able to buy cod and chips in the paper, any evening I felt like it.

BUT..............big surprise.............an Aussie called Harry has just opened up a Western style fish and chip shop in Udon. Cod or Haddock and chips, mushy peas, curry sauce, and all the other bits that a good fish and chip shop should sell.

BLISS

You lucky, lucky guy.

• Like 1