Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport named 5th best airport by Skytrax

webfact

Just read the latest Skytrax report/list and Suvarnabhumi Airport does not even get a sniff into the list of the top 30 so where does the number 5th come from? Also, as a handicapped person, the airport is far from being the friendliest for people in wheelchairs. Tried a few times to get the wheelchair into a toilet and there is a small step, only an inch or so high but that prevents me from entering by myself because the door is not easily opened as it must be pushed open. Then it immediately slams shut while trying to negotiate the step. The joints between the floor sections are not good either. They cause the wheelchair to bump and jump along creating spinal and leg pain - had back operations, two hip replacements, and right knee replacement and no feeling in feet. Long distances from check-in to gate another problem as is trying to get into and out of the airport through departures. Whoever thought of putting in that horrendous barrier should be shot. Must admit though, at least the taxi is closer to the door than they can get in China where the taxi can not get within about 100 feet of the door as they are not allowed to drive that close. At least most airports worldwide allow that because of the luggage being large and some do not even provide free trolleys. (Toronto is an example where you pay CAD2:00 and then get nothing back when finished.)

5th (out of 9 or 10) in the 40-50 mil passenger group. 47th (or 49th?) overall.

It is a good airport. It doesnt matter what trumped up polls tell you it is what you think as an individual. Would anyone change a trip to or through Bangkok just because a poll said it is ranked 47th? I would hope not.

London Heathrow should be at the bottom in my opinion it is a terrible airport to get around but in the poll it considered quite reasonable.

Forget other peoples opinion and make you own mind up unless of course you are a sheep

Skytrax requires payment for "services". It is a for profit company that "sells" rankings.

That being said, I like BKK. It is better than any large airport in north America and much of Europe.

What exactly do you like about it? The under staffed immigration or the over priced monopoly "duty free" shops.

immigration is faster than in most large US and Canadian airports. It certainly beats most EU airports. I like the premium pass system even though I don't have to use it.

The DF prices are comparable to the west and airport restaurant prices beat anything and everything in the west.

I suggest you read the horrible reviews for some of the airports in the listing.

Skytrax requires payment for "services". It is a for profit company that "sells" rankings.

That being said, I like BKK. It is better than any large airport in north America and much of Europe.

Pineapples in Thailand are also a lot tastier than those in the US or Europe.

BKK is a Mickey Mouse hub compared to the other new airports in the Asian region.

Just read the latest Skytrax report/list and Suvarnabhumi Airport does not even get a sniff into the list of the top 30 so where does the number 5th come from? Also, as a handicapped person, the airport is far from being the friendliest for people in wheelchairs. Tried a few times to get the wheelchair into a toilet and there is a small step, only an inch or so high but that prevents me from entering by myself because the door is not easily opened as it must be pushed open. Then it immediately slams shut while trying to negotiate the step. The joints between the floor sections are not good either. They cause the wheelchair to bump and jump along creating spinal and leg pain - had back operations, two hip replacements, and right knee replacement and no feeling in feet. Long distances from check-in to gate another problem as is trying to get into and out of the airport through departures. Whoever thought of putting in that horrendous barrier should be shot. Must admit though, at least the taxi is closer to the door than they can get in China where the taxi can not get within about 100 feet of the door as they are not allowed to drive that close. At least most airports worldwide allow that because of the luggage being large and some do not even provide free trolleys. (Toronto is an example where you pay CAD2:00 and then get nothing back when finished.)

trolleys are free in toronto now. If you want a long hike, try the internationals arrival in Toronto.

Yes, BKK is not mobility impaired friendly, but neither are most airports in Asia. At least they have staff to assist.

BKK is a Mickey Mouse hub compared to the other new airports in the Asian region.

Really? Jakarta is still awful. Manila is a worst of the worst. Most airports in China are awful. Beijing and Pudong always have delays and long lines. Ever been to the hubs of India, Pakistan, bangladesh, Myanmar? The new Delhi and Mumbai still are staffed and managed by Indians, so no matter how shiny new they are, service sucks. Japan airports are ok if not arriving at peak time. I love Taipei, but it is out of the way. Hong Kong has lost its shine and is expensive now.

• Like 1

Hawaii is in The USA Pineapples....

I reckon most of the people posting here want to get a life. You dont go to an airport to spend a lot of time there it is to get a flight. But I guess people have different ideas

. Some people are Working, I'm an OBC on board courier, I live in airports and sometimes 80 hours a week at 40,000, my job LAX to Orlando, then Costa Rica, then HK Foxconn via LAX, 2x every 8 days, so what are you talking about...

I'm sitting in Seoul Airport right now, every seat in Terminal has stains and their made of fabric and Black, maybe it's Kim Chee overload idk 55555. Lack of Food choices also, but Free Internet Excellent

Edited by Dannyboy666

Suwannaphum may be better than many N American and European airports - most of which are showing their age and lack of capacity in a changed environment - but in my opinion Thailand's main airport comes nowhere near the best in Asia.

A random list of six criticisms:

- Overpriced F&B

- Monopoly duty free supplier

- Vast distances to walk to gates

- Immigration bottlenecks much of the time

- STILL no conveniently-accessed Internet (registration required - why?)

- In general, trading on an outdated and obsolete image of Thailand, unsuitable to 2015.

Pass, at best

F&B in most airports, especially airside, is overpriced.

One of the best airports in the world, Changi, requires passport registration for wi-fi access.

It's a big airport. How do you propose that they bring all the gates closer to the main terminal?

It is not a particularly big airport. It is a big single terminal airport. Changi as you mentioned also has fast electric rail servicing their 3 monstrous (T1, T2 and T3 if I am not mistaken) terminals... without a flaw. The problems with BKK is purely in the mindset of the operators... near enough is good enough.

The Entrance to Immigration last night was Slammed, but only the Middle Entrance, the side entrances , there were No Lines at al. Always use the side entrances I think 1. & 3. , Never use entrance 2, I believe (if I'm wrong about number , Please Correct me...

Btw In SIN Singapore, they only require Passport for wifi inside the Terminals if you go to Departure Area Information desk they will hand you PW on paper...and remember if you get stuck in SIN , they have Chaise Lounges for a Liedown in Terminal 2 at gates E10 and E11.

Edited by Dannyboy666
  • Like 1

Nice expensive shopping mall, I never buy anything there, just walk quickly from immigration to the lousy Royal Orchid lounge for a shower before leaving the Land Of Scams...

What can anyone say, not a lot I guess. Just as well you found out now you wont have to return again

• Like 1

Nice expensive shopping mall, I never buy anything there, just walk quickly from immigration to the lousy Royal Orchid lounge for a shower before leaving the Land Of Scams...

I guess this comment is about what happened on your first visit and you will never ever see the color of the Land of scams again.

coffee1.gif

Btw In SIN Singapore, they only require Passport for wifi inside the Terminals if you go to Departure Area Information desk they will hand you PW on paper...and remember if you get stuck in SIN , they have Chaise Lounges for a Liedown in Terminal 2 at gates E10 and E11.

eh...blink.png in Changi you logo onto the free wifi connection, a page comes up to input your mobile number and they sms you a pin number to use, you don't even need a PP

I always never waited more than 15 minutes at the customs, and found immediately my luggage.

Then 3-4 minutes to reach the express train to Makkasan: in 15 minutes I am at my apartment.

Airport staff always very kind (especially women, like in whole Thailand)

Italian airports are definitely worse than Suvarnabhumi.

Maybe the shops are a little bit too expensive, but try to find an airport which has low budget shops....

• Like 2

THEY WISH..........!!

if you check SKYTREK website you'll find THIS:

www.worldairportawards.com

VERY different !!!!

What's different? They might have selectively choosen what to highlight but it is correct!

Best Airports : 40-50 million passengers 1 Seoul Incheon ICN 2 Kuala Lumpur KUL 3 Madrid MAD 4 San Francisco SFO 5 Bangkok Suvarnabhumi BKK 6 Charlotte/Douglas CLT 7 Las Vegas LAS 8 Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX 9 Miami International MIA

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

THEY WISH..........!!

VERY different !!!!

What's different? They might have selectively choosen what to highlight but it is correct!

Best Airports : 40-50 million passengers 1 Seoul Incheon ICN 2 Kuala Lumpur KUL 3 Madrid MAD 4 San Francisco SFO 5 Bangkok Suvarnabhumi BKK 6 Charlotte/Douglas CLT 7 Las Vegas LAS 8 Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX 9 Miami International MIA

You cant be serious about KL surely? It is a rubbish airport at best

THEY WISH..........!!

VERY different !!!!

You cant be serious about KL surely? It is a rubbish airport at best

It's the list from the Skytrax survey. KL was second in the 40-50 million passenger airports.