Can I used a Thailand mobile phone in Phnom Phen

localexpat

Hello

I am planning to visit phnom phen, Cambodia, for a few days.

I have a Thailand mobile phone, AIS sim card I think, pay as you go

Can I use this phone in Cambodia

Example to ring a Cambodian number do I have to add country, area code etc

Thanks in advance

Yes, you might need to call 1175 before you go to activate international roaming.

Call charges....

Calling won't do it. You need to go into an AIS office (not a contract office) and sign up for international roaming. If your a foreigner take your passport with you and while your there make sure your number is registered because if not July 1 its by-by. As said international roaming is not cheep.

I believe you also have to deposit a good hunk of money in your TH mobile account to cover any roaming charges. You will need a 1000 or more. Very expensive. Best thing, as noted, is to pick up a Cambodian SIM at the airport.

Only if it is prepaid. If its billed to you no.

One thing that is good to know is that AIS roaming does not charge for received SMS. So if people back in Thailand want to contact you cheaply they can SMS your Thai number and you will receive it with no roaming charge. This requires, of course, that you have the Thai SIM on, but many phones these days take 2 SIMs.

That's what I do when in the US- add a US SIm but keep the Thai SIM on to receive SMSes.

Ais and true has extremely high roaming charge but true offers cheaper roaming package for fixed price

Dtac is the cheapest with only 6 Bhat a minute for roaming in most asian country's all others 30 Bhat and more minute!

Iam not sure why Thai phone operators not support call forwarding to a Phonenumber outside Thailand !

I using calling apps only 1 euro cent minute to nearly every Mobil network in the world!

• 3 months later...

Archived