Thai Airways set to improve on-board food

webfact

Don't think the food is too bad, not quite as good as Emirates but still edible. Might be an idea to look at their prices though...recently flew Business with work and a return to Sydney cost 96,000thb which is probably why the cabin was half empty.

"Thai Airways is poised to upgrade its food from the existing three-star level to a five-star one within three months, with a view to increasing the number of customers by 10-20 percent and improving profit from the food catering business by 100 percent within the year."

How will they do that? Do they sell their food in outlets as well as serve it on planes?

Boy o boy, no they supply other airlines also they have quite a large catering setup in Bangkok Airport where they prepare and cook the foods.

I have been quite happy with Thai Air food. They have got to 1st work on their inflated ticket prices.

I have used Thai Airways a lot in my life and always had good service and good food. Traveled a lot every year for work and used Thai as much as I could. When I stopped travel for work and settled down in New York I used Thai 4 times a year from JFK to BKK on their direct flight and we're always very happy. Then I travelled most in Premium Economy class which at that time was the best in the industry. When they cancelled the direct flight I started to fly with Cathay Pacific. Their service was ok in economy but since I travelled 3-4 times a year I had gold membership and was upgraded to business 12 out of 14 times and could not complain. Today I fly their Premium Economy but it's not the same service as Thai had. It also have changed the upgrades, have not been upgraded any of the 10 times I have travelled and that's because Cathay's premium economy is to expensive and only occupied by 10-12 paying passenger so they have around 20 seats to upgrade economy passengers with and that happens every flight. When I came here now in beginning of March it was at least 12 pax before me that with boarding they got changed boarding card and upgrade to premium. With that said Cathay have also stopped to serve welcome drink and hot towel in premium from Hong Kong to BKK. This have happened the last two times I used them. It seems that they are down grading their service. When I compare Thai and Cathay I find Thai in favor both food and service. I can mention that I have worked in the service industry for 40 years both airline and cruise line and used most airlines. Now when I live in New York it's difficult to find a good airline these days. I don't fly Singapore that's the only airline I have got food poisoning 2 times the last 10 years and also their stop over in Frankfurt is a waste of time. There is some other airlines that have premium economy that I haven't tried. I don't feel to spend $25.000 for 3 round trips in business with Cathay Pacific. I also find the article in both Thailand and US about the airlines have agreed to fix prices on trans pacific flights since 2000, though only ANA have pled guilty to fixing the prices on certain discounted tickets. There is a class action lawsuit going on about this.

• Like 1

I am running a ticketing portal and out of 60732 flight trips THAI is totally gone out of the first 30 pages.

I just sold last week 15 tickets from Berlin to Bangkok and return at USD 510.00 (Qatar Airways) and also 9 tickets at Copenhagen to Bangkok at US$ 245.00 one way for a tour group. The return flight was on Aeroflot for 350 USD with a one day tour in Moscow.

What I try to say is THAI is gone and the Mideast Airlines just take in the revenues. Why not, if a last minute seat is available why not show it at US$ 300 and get the seat filled.

BTW: Thai has a problem with their XML Gateway. The route is shown

00:05 - 07:05
Flight TG930 (‎Thai Airways Intl)‎

Bangkok ‎(‎BKK)‎-Paris ‎(‎CDG) but their XML Gateway is unable to show rates (Time out error)

I have contacted hundreds of VP's and Directors at THAI many times but they just don't care, so I fill up the other airlines seats for cheap tickets and my clients are happy because they pay peanuts for the tickets.

• Like 1

I only fly Thai Airways. No matter where I am in the world, the moment I board a Thai airways flight, I know that I am home. I know that my spirits are lifted, and no matter what happens from there on in, I am with the people I want to be with. I find that the food is fine, the service is exceptional, and price???? Who cares if it is a $100 or $200 more. I get to be with the people I choose to be with, and that is Thai people, I get the imediate feeling of being home, and I know where I am going with no exuses to give. I also like the fact that when flying Thai, we are supporting the Thai economy, and the nation that many of us love returning to, to see our loved ones, our friends, and in many cases our family.

I only fly Thai Airways. No matter where I am in the world, the moment I board a Thai airways flight, I know that I am home. I know that my spirits are lifted, and no matter what happens from there on in, I am with the people I want to be with. I find that the food is fine, the service is exceptional, and price???? Who cares if it is a $100 or $200 more. I get to be with the people I choose to be with, and that is Thai people, I get the imediate feeling of being home, and I know where I am going with no exuses to give. I also like the fact that when flying Thai, we are supporting the Thai economy, and the nation that many of us love returning to, to see our loved ones, our friends, and in many cases our family.

Mate, it's just a ride on an aeroplane. I think you are over stressing the case somewhat...

• Like 1

That's pretty good news. To be fair, TG food is actually quite good.

Not in First or Business. TG is one of the few airlines now where premium class food is neither plated, nor garnished in the galley, and it shows. Food is often dried out and/or over cooked.

Glad to see someone is aware of the fruit issues. I had more than a few instances of rotten or poor quality fruit.

I just hope they emphasize the Thailand aspect in their menu.

Never been in first so I can't comment on that but business and economy food has always been up to standard. People will inevitably compare TG to SIA and Cathay and other 5 star airlines which I think is unfair. But if you compare TG to other 3-4 star airlines like BA or EVA or Lufthansa among others, service and meals on TG is actually very good.

Gerry !

take a same price category of your ticket and than compare !!

Thai is 305 more expensive than other star alliance or AF, KLM , BA airlines !

You have to compare with SGP, Emirates and so !!

Haven't flied KLM before but frankly BA and Air France sucks ass compared to TG. People who bitch and moan about Thai need a dose of BA to wake them up.

And seriously, try finding an SQ or Emirates ticket that's cheaper than TG. It's possible but very unlikely.

Virtually EVERYTIME I fly Australia to Thailand EK/SQ are cheaper than TG, Business class.....not sure about cattle.

Last time I flew business TG, I was scratching around for my wallet to get an upgrade to first, only to realise it was 2 class.......the food in business was woeful. Seriously very very bad.

Poor Thai, lost the plot, use to be very good way back when Adam was a lad.

Man are you brain washed. Lol.

After reading your spiel I almost jumped in the air and started singing the national anthem. I fist pumped and screamed Thai airways a couple of times and then I though, hold on, wait a minute. 555555

• Like 1

awful service,poor food, over pricing. Just like home ...

• Like 2

The PM should have made a comment about the high fares compare to other airlines,

give us better fares and we bring sandwiches form home....

The PM wouldn't have a clue about fare costs.....now or when in the army.........

• Like 2

That's pretty good news. To be fair, TG food is actually quite good.

Before I retired two years ago I flew around Asia from China, to Australia, to India and most countries in between every month for six years. I flew exclusively Thai Air. I can count on one hand the number of times the food was questionable.

Mate, it's just a ride on an aeroplane. I think you are over stressing the case somewhat...

Exactly......it's just a few hours on a plane.......

"Thai Airways is poised to upgrade its food from the existing three-star level to a five-star one within three months, with a view to increasing the number of customers by 10-20 percent and improving profit from the food catering business by 100 percent within the year."

How will they do that? Do they sell their food in outlets as well as serve it on planes?

Yes they do... At the thai airways office in Phuket town there is a a puff and pie outlet which apparently is the same pastries as on board.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Exactly......it's just a few hours on a plane.......

Interesting point.

Yesterday I did some fare searching for an upcoming trip Bkk to Hi Chi Mihn City - a 60 to 70 minute flight.

- Average AirAsiaX fare including one check-in bag and seat fee etc, around 3,600Baht

- Thai Inter, between 12,600 and 13,800Baht.

Food for such short flight not a major concern and some light meals / sandwiches available on AirAsiaX at very reasonable cost.

......and the angled beds in business ? Worse than no recline at all !

Hysterical, much? I am a very regular flyer both in economy and business depending on destination, and I usually look for other airlines. Thai is very poor compared to many other carriers and they are often horribly overpriced, and I agree the lounge is dreadful and the food is often poor. So I'm no rose spectacled lover, but come on, angled beds worse than no recline at all? Really???

You know you have the choice of not reclining your angled bed at all? You'll be happier that way - just don't press the button and you'll be fine.

Edited by josephbloggs