Penang Visa run report

Everything went well except on the return, Thai immigration wanted to see 20Kbaht in cash. I was coming in with a tourist visa from Penang. I showed 20K and had no problems. Others that did not have the cash did have problems. Currently I would not try to return without 20Kbaht.

Save yourself some headaches.

Just an FYI

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 1

You didn't specify the border post, but certainly is Sadao/Dannok.

Now wait for someone to ask if "bank statements are accepted" - which aren't.

Nor did he specify whether he came in by land, air or sea.

I thought the 20K was for a family and it was 10K for a single person ?

I personally have never had a problem using Sadao over the years

He had a tourist visa which is 20k for an individual or 40k for a family,

For a visa exempt entry it is 10k baht and 20k baht.

Haha is this the twilight zone?

200 baht is a small price to pay for no hassle. Last two visa trips I haven't observed a single person in line not utilizing this "trick".

I cant understand why any one who has been here for longer than a week is chocked and appalled by this practice.

if you read thai news, you know bribery both giving/receiving punishable.

?what is the problem at the border to make you inadmissible without paying a bribe?

?just asking? ?why you would feel the need to bribe??

So I don't need to show a fat wad of cash. Read the first post in this thread.

Bribery is as natural as breathing in Thailand. I see no need to deny this and pretend.

Edited by Kaalle

?what is the problem at the border to make you inadmissible without paying a bribe?

So I don't need to show a fat wad of cash.

20K is hardly a "fat wad". So, unless you don't have that kind of money, I don't see the problem with showing the required amount.

• Like 1

Have you actually done that? Are you confessing to a crime or just promoting one?

Being victim of an extortion is not a crime. Unlike corruption, the person that pays does not obtain any illicit benefit from an extortion, rather has to pay to obtain what is right.

Incorrect. It is reported that officers at Sadao/Dannok ask for payments to perform their normal duties. That is extortion, not bribing.

I think most would agree carrying around 20 k is an inconvenience. If not, ok go ahead.

Actually it's not inconvenient at all. When travelling it is advisable and prudent to keep emergency cash, separated from payment cards.

Done this run twice.

First time mid jan and 2nd time just last week. Both times with a visarun company.

Both times i went prepared with numerous just updated thai bank books, thai account atm mini statements, recent foriegn account statements. All with more than enough funds.

I remembered reading in news this was sufficient at malaysian border.

First time through Sadao our driver told us all to get out pay 200 baht and go through the border. I asked what the 200 was for and he said you show money or pay. I tried my luck and silently passed over a load of evidence with the passport. The imm guy looked it all over and stamped me in and that was it.

Second time through I tried this again, all exactly the same with everything in order.

This time the guy looked disgusted and passed all my bank stuff back and said "Money! Money!". It was dissapointing. I was trying to read his name tag and despite being able to read Thai it was near impossible. I was wondering if they design them to be holographic on purpose.

One other thing of note. I paid with baht and got ringgit back. It was exchanged at the standard rate though I might add.

Anyway thats how it goes down there.. Money money money!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Done this run twice.
First time mid jan and 2nd time just last week. Both times with a visarun company.
Both times i went prepared with numerous just updated thai bank books, thai account atm mini statements, recent foriegn account statements. All with more than enough funds.
First time through Sadao our driver told us all to get out pay 200 baht and go through the border. I asked what the 200 was for and he said you show money or pay. I tried my luck and silently passed over a load of evidence with the passport. The imm guy looked it all over and stamped me in and that was it.
Second time through I tried this again, all exactly the same with everything in order.
This time the guy looked disgusted and passed all my bank stuff back and said "Money! Money!". It was dissapointing. I was trying to read his name tag and despite being able to read Thai it was near impossible. I was wondering if they design them to be holographic on purpose.
One other thing of note. I paid with baht and got ringgit back. It was exchanged at the standard rate though I might add.

What, exactly , was paid for in Baht ?

200 baht or you show money.

When they started getting strict on this last year there was a article in the news saying that evidence of funds was enough at Malaysian border. However the news since reported that it is at the discretion of the immigration officer. Which is obviously the case

Done this run twice.

It written is the regulations that one has to show cash, not bank statements.

So to be on the safe side, one has to bring 20,000 Bath, about $660. That doesn't really seem much money for someone that has made the choice of living in a foreign country.

So I don't need to show a fat wad of cash.

20K is hardly a "fat wad". So, unless you don't have that kind of money, I don't see the problem with showing the required amount.

The problem isn't having 20k, it's carrying it around with you, especially when you're traveling extremely long distances. I'd happily pay 200 baht rather than carry 20k in my wallet.

The problem isn't having 20k, it's carrying it around with you, especially when you're traveling extremely long distances. I'd happily pay 200 baht rather than carry 20k in my wallet.

Personal choices. I do not travel without emergency cash kept in a safe place on me.

I wish I could get a link to that regulation, to add to post #3 of the pinned topic Useful Immigration Information & Visa Descriptions.

A quick search reveals this:

http://www.mfa.go.th/fealac/images/ThailandUpdateDoc26.doc

- Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family).

Thank you.

A Microsoft Word document with 25 pages of information covering everything about every type of visa and visa exemption.

The MFA probably has a link to it somewhere on its website mfa.go.th but it seems hidden very well. I wish they would put that paragraph about visa exempt tourists having to "possess adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand (i.e., cash 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family)" on their page about visa exemption, ie here on http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/services-20150120-100712-551809.pdf

Since some people may be wary of downloading and opening a Word document, I have saved it as a PDF document and attach it here:

Visa requirements for Thailand.pdf

I have now added it to the list of Laws, regulations, Police Orders, etc. related to visas, immigration matters, and work permits, where it currently is No. 27

• Like 1

There was an article about all of this stuff at Sadao border with a police officer giving his number urging people to contact him if they witnessed any bribery at Sadao. It also stated just evidence in most cases should be enough. It's annoying me that I can't find the article.

I am thinking perhaps it was this one https://www.google.co.th/search?q=sadao+bribe+site%3Awww.phuketgazette.com&oq=sadao+bribe+site%3Awww.phuketgazette.com&aqs=chrome..69i57.36012j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espvd=1&ie=UTF-8 but it seems to have been deleted on the sly or something