Swedish police: Several people shot, some dead, in Gothenburg

webfact

Swedish police: Several people shot, some dead, in Gothenburg
KARL RITTER, Associated Press

STOCKHOLM (AP) — Several people were shot inside a restaurant in the city of Gothenburg late Wednesday and some of have died, Swedish police said.

Police said in a statement that an automatic weapon is believed to have been used in the shooting. They had no details on any suspects but said an investigation was under way.

Gothenburg is located in southwestern Sweden and is the country's second biggest city.

The shooting happened in an area of the city with a history of gang-related violence, police spokeswoman Ulla Brehm said. She said it was too early to speculate on the motive but said there were indications that the shooting was gang-related.

"There is absolutely nothing that indicates terrorism," Brehm said.

One witness told Swedish broadcaster SVT that two men entered the restaurant and started shooting with automatic weapons.

"I didn't have a chance to think about what happened. Then I saw that my friend was bleeding. I tried to stop the bleeding as good as I could with my hand," said the witness, who didn't give his name.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-03-19

According to the Swedish Newspaper "Aftonbladet" the shootings were gang-related.

Two guys with Kaleznikovs entered a restaurant and opened fire.

Almost a relief that it was not another jihadist attack!!

• Like 1

Unheard of in Sweden. RIP. sad.png

My Swedish pals have been telling me that violence like this has been on the cards for ages. I don't think there will be many Gothenburgers who will be particularly surprised by this awful incident.

post 6 not very funny at all, if you had a brain you would be dangerous. pathetic attempt at trying to be funny

I read post number 6 as it caught my eye, as you, but I did not process it as funny. It was a very deliberate effort to view this situation from a potential perspective the media have thus ignored. I thought the clever manner to choose a different viewing point was well made.