Top 10 #1 Lp List Of All Time

Came across this on the news wires. Dark Side of Moon not on it cause it was never a #1 LP in England but note it made #1 for the 2nd list. What are your top 10 all time? No stones, Zeppelin or Who to be seen here. Surely they had #1 LPs

LONDON (AFP) - The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was voted Britain's favourite chart-topping album.

The British foursome's 1967 album edged out US singer Michael Jackson's "Thriller" by just 201 votes in the BBC's Radio Two Music Club Top 100 Albums chart.

More than 220,000 people voted in the nation-wide survey designed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the official British album charts.

U2's "Joshua Tree" came in third ahead of "Rumours" by Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".

The Beatles had four albums in the top 10 and a fifth at number 11.

In a seperate poll, of the albums that failed to reach the number one spot, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" came out top with "The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars" by David Bowie as number two.

There have been 787 number one albums -- Snow Patrol's "Eyes Open" became the latest Sunday -- since the Official Album Chart started in 1956.

BBC radio presenter Simon Mayo said: "It is a very impressive list and no surprise at all that Sgt. Pepper is at the top.

"It revolutionised music and what we expect from an album. A fine choice indeed."

Top 10:

1 "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (1967) -- Beatles

2 "Thriller" (1982) -- Michael Jackson

3 "The Joshua Tree" (1987) -- U2

4 "Rumours" (1977) -- Fleetwood Mac

5 "Wish You Were Here" (1975) -- Pink Floyd

6 "Revolver" (1966) -- Beatles

7 "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (1970) -- Simon and Garfunkel

8 "Abbey Road" (1969) -- Beatles

9 "A Night At The Opera" (1975) -- Queen

10 "The Beatles" (1968) -- Beatles

"London Calling" by The Clash deserves a spot in the top ten. Most of my other picks probably never made a national top ten list:

"One Size Fits All" by Frank Zappa

"Cosmic Messenger" by Jean-luc Ponty

"Brazillian Love Affair" by George Duke

"Deloused in the Comatorium" By The Mars Volta

"Trust" by Elvis Costello

"Eat a Peach" by The Allman Bros

"Elegant Gypsy" by Al DiMeola

"Rainbow Bridge" by Jimi Hendrix

"Funeral" by The Arcade Fire

As far as Thai bands, I really like Silly Fools.

Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory not there? :D

The Stone Roses aren't there..... which is a contradiction to the last survey they did.

Hotel California was on that one too.

As was Dark Side of the Moon if memory serves.

Times they are a changin'

Never Mind.... Fleetwood Mac are still there.

Or should I say 'Oh Well' ...... and before anyone says it, yes I know, that wasn't from that album.

It's been a long time since I used the word 'album' :o

I think that The Clash, while an outstanding band, was a punk rock derivative and had more of a niche popularity at the time of London Calling. The same can be said for Elvis C. Eat a Peach is an interesting choice. Never heard of Goerge Duke or Mars Volta or even Arcade Fire

I believe Rolling Stone had "London Calling" as one of the best albums of all time or something to that effect. I don't often agree with them on a lot of issues but in that case it was a good call.

I saw Elvis Costello perform live two months ago and he was amazing; full orchestra & all.

George Duke is a keyboard player who did a stint with Zappa, Mars Volta is a killer band out of El Paso, and Arcade Fire is Canadian. I didn't exactly keep my list in the "UK" but rather just named my top albums.

By the way, I heard that "Eat a Peach" was named because Duane Allman died on his motorcycle before the album was completed; the story goes that he was hit by a peach truck. One year later their bass player (Barry Oakley?) died on the same stretch of highway.

Good music makes life just a bit easier to deal with.

Off the top of my head -

Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Smiths - The Queen is dead.

Never Mind The <deleted> - Sex Pistols

Nirvana - Nevermind

The Jam - All mod cons

Happy Mondays - Pills and thrills

Lou Reed - tranformer

The Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground

Ramones - Ramones

Joy Division - Unknown plesures

Surely, On the tracks - Bob Dylan should be in the top 5? What about Bob Marley?

The comlplete Hank Williams should be there in the top 5 too.

I remember once discussing music with a dude at a party once. We were both very heavily into tunes but couldn't find any common ground on bands that we liked and I mean I like a lot of shit. There were only 2 bands that both of us liked...

Bowie and Lou Reed

I called him on this and wondered why these were the only 2. He made some remark that it wasnt what I thought. I still dont understand. I mention this b/c Neens lists both in his top 10

Maybe because Reed and Bowie were not in any real categories. Maybe them two plus Iggy Pop. The music is so varied too - early Reed has sounds like 'Sister Ray' and 'I heard her call my name' which is very different to his later solo stuff - 'walk on the wildside'.

Bowie too - chchchchanges from songs like 'Ziggy Stardust' to 'Let's Dance' to 'Sound and Vision'.

I knew punks, skinheads, northern soulers, gays, druggies etc and bikers who all liked Bowie.

Another artist who come to mind was Motorhead. When I was 14(re. 19, we (punks)used to take turns dancing on the local dancefloor with the heavy metal bikers. It was hilarious when Motorhead came on - we used to 'dance' together!

I'm not familar with Iggy Pop's tunes but I noticed in Rolling Stones' top 500 LPs that he and the Stooges had at least 2 in there. I take it that is some solid material. Bowie I can dig but never explored his obscure material even though I had Ziggy, Young Americans, Diamond Dogs, Low, Alladin Sane, Let's Dance and Hunky Dory. Out of those I only explored Hunky Dory and loved it. The others I listened to one or 2 times but nothing blew me away except for the main hits; you know the songs that were on the greatest hits compilation Changes and Changes 2. I never could move beyond those 2 records and get immersed in Bowie's music although the material on them was outstanding. I picked up a DVD clip compilation of Bowie and was pleased to see some obscure Hunky Dory stuff on there. Those HD clip were from '71-'72 and were recorded live, not lipped, in the BBC studios: Queen bitch, Five Years and Oh You pretty things. The rest of that DVD was a boring collection of lip sync music videos except for an excellent live performance of Young Americans on the Dick Cavett show. It also stinks having to watch Bowie in his feminine get ups in most of those videos; Ziggy live falls into that category as well.

as for Lou Reed, I should explore the Velvet Underground stuff but haven't gotten around to doing that. Picked up a recent live dvd from him, watched some of it and it wasn't blowing me away

Edited by The Dude

I picked up a DVD clip compilation of Bowie and was pleased to see some obscure Hunky Dory stuff on there. Those HD clip were from '71-'72 and were recorded live, not lipped, in the BBC studios: Queen bitch, Five Years and Oh You pretty things. The rest of that DVD was a boring collection of lip sync music videos except for an excellent live performance of Young Americans on the Dick Cavett show. It also stinks having to watch Bowie in his feminine get ups in most of those videos; Ziggy live falls into that category as well.

as for Lou Reed, I should explore the Velvet Underground stuff but haven't gotten around to doing that. Picked up a recent live dvd from him, watched some of it and it wasn't blowing me away

Dude, I got that DVD too and the old Hunky stuff is great.

Check out the velvets - loaded is a great album.

Love: Forever Changes

Patti Smith: Horses

Bowie: The Man Who Sold The World

Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick

Pixies: Bossanova

Graham Nash: Songs for Beginners

Bob Dylan: Blonde on Blonde

Wire: Pink Flag

Chumbawamba: Pictures of.....

Pj Harvey: Stories from the City

The The: Dusk

The thing about these 'greatest' album lists in magazines and in newspapers is that a lot of the same stuff gets thrown up: Sure I like Floyd/Zeppelin/Stones/Beatles but I am always on the lookout for something I have never heard before.

I only discovered Galaxie 500 recently, and they have to be compared to the Velvet Underground. Yet they are very overlooked and unheard.