What is the best option for long term stay?

I'm a UK citizen currently living and working in New Zealand. I may have to leave New Zealand pretty soon so I'm looking at Thailand as an option.

I have the option of being employed by a New Zealand employer during my time in Thailand, but I'm confused about the new rules regarding visa runs.

I understand I could get a 90 visa which I could previously leave Thailand and visit another country and come back and get a new visa. With the new visa run rules, is this still possible?

If not, what's the best option for a long-term stay in the Kingdom?

I also have another job (self-employed), is it possible I can use this to register a company in Thailand and do it this way?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Your question is often asked so if you just search you will find many virtually idenatical threads.

In short It depends on how much you can spend. If Ok with bt 500,000 for 5 years, then the Thai elite visa.

Otherwise double or triple entry tourist visa, require a an extension for each entry costing Bt 1,900 and border hops every 90 day.

Education visa for hassle become expensive and hassling for the extensions, so not recommendable.

No other options, unless you can find a job or get married in Thailand.

Thanks, I didn't know about the Thai Elite visa. That's an option.

"Otherwise double or triple entry tourist visa, require a an extension for each entry costing Bt 1,900 and border hops every 90 day."

I read the visa runs are getting harder. This is still an option?

I have the option of being employed by a New Zealand employer during my time in Thailand,

Do you mean something like a branch office of a NZ company located in Thailand? If you're actually working here you'll need a work permit.

There are visa services here which can simplify the process for you ( at a cost, of course ). I did a retirement visa through one of them for 12,000 baht plus 1000 baht per year for ongoing extensions. Perhaps pricey, but I saved a lot of time and angst by not having to queue for hours, or explain to an immigration officer in my limited Thai what I wanted, or worry about whether I had all the correct documents.

If you can, I'd suggest you get a "O" level visa in preference to a tourist visa as the conversion process to a long-term visa appears to be simpler.

You will definitely have to apply for a work permit, and if it's something a Thai could do, you may not get it.

There are visa services here which can simplify the process for you ( at a cost, of course ). I did a retirement visa through one of them for 12,000 baht plus 1000 baht per year for ongoing extensions. Perhaps pricey, but I saved a lot of time and angst by not having to queue for hours, or explain to an immigration officer in my limited Thai what I wanted, or worry about whether I had all the correct documents.

If you can, I'd suggest you get a "O" level visa in preference to a tourist visa as the conversion process to a long-term visa appears to be simpler.

You will definitely have to apply for a work permit, and if it's something a Thai could do, you may not get it.

"and if it's something a Thai could do, you may not get it." This is a very misleading comment by the OP, who should know better if giving this sort of advice. Yes there are SOME jobs that are restricted to Thai Nationals only, but they are not that many. Look it up on the Internet and you will get the absolute answer as to which ones might affect you.

Look at the OP picture. Does he seems older than 50 to you ? Then beside the fact that you are fueling corruption with your under the table payment, be advised that an extension (that you incorrectly call "long term visa") cost Bt 1,900 not 1,000.

Definitely? It is not mandatory to work in Thailand.

If you are over 50 the retirement way is available.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

10,000 Bht per year for something which actually costs 1900 Bht ?

Clearly some have more money than sense.

Or not have 800K in a bank account more likely.

Ubonjoe,

Can I prevail upon you for some sound advice?

I have been coming to Thailand for many years always on a 30 day tourist entry from the UK,and recently started coming every other month or so.

I am now looking at the possibility of retiring here in a year or two but have been told sketchily that I need some sort of "o" visa before obtaining a retirement visa.

I do not have a clue about the different visas so do not know what to apply for from the UK consulate or what process I will have to follow if I get the correct one.

I am 68 y/o not married to a Thai and do not wish to work , I have sufficient funds to support myself.

Any help / advice you are kind enough to provide will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Janner1

You have been using "visa exempt entries " there are no 30 day tourist visas !

You have a choice of visa which can be obtained in the UK.

1, A multiple entry one year non "O" visa which allows 90 day entries which can be obtained by demonstrating receipt of the OAP

2. An O-A visa, For details open the link below

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

3 A single entry "non O" visa which can be used to secure a one year extension of stay subject to financial requirements being met .

These options can be researched on the London Thai Embassy website or any of the UK Thai Honorary Consulate websites.

Once you have an insight into what is possible further detail will be available here

Edited by nzexpat

Nzexpat,

Many thanks for your prompt reply and the help and advice given.

One or two more questions if I may regarding the multi entry one year non o visa,

If I should choose to leave the country inside of the 90day stay period say after 30 days and then return again two months later, does this present any problems upon exit and re-entry ?

And do I have to do anything in the interim ie visit immigration in the city I am staying in and notify them of my plans?

Please accept my thanks once again and forgive my naivety in this matter

you will get a 90 day permitted to stay stamp, on each entry made using a multi entry non imm 'O' visa up to the 'use by/valid to' date of the actual visa.

No visits to local immigration required as you will not stay longer than 90 days in Thailand.

Edited by steve187

Commit a serious offence you get long stay without needing a visa at the hilton monkey house.

Is that from personal experience? The man was asking, what seemed to be, a legitimate question.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nzexpat,
Many thanks for your prompt reply and the help and advice given.
One or two more questions if I may regarding the multi entry one year non o visa,

If I should choose to leave the country inside of the 90day stay period say after 30 days and then return again two months later, does this present any problems upon exit and re-entry ?

And do I have to do anything in the interim ie visit immigration in the city I am staying in and notify them of my plans?

Please accept my thanks once again and forgive my naivety in this matter

Whilst a multi entry visa remains valid a 90 day stay will be granted on each occasion Thailand is entered .

There is no need to visit immigration.

i have just successfully got spouse visa.During the process, the local district officer advise me to apply long stay visa if i have enough fund. In my concept ,spouse visa is the cheapest way for staying in thai. I dont know is she joking!

There is no such thing as a "spouse visa" !

If you tell us exactly what is in the passport maybe someone can advise.

OP, you need to clarify for yourself what exactly is "best solution". It's been discussed on these fora Ad nauseam and Ad infinitum.

What is best? Least expensive, least hassle, etc. I imagine your answer should be; least expensive and legal options are "best". There certainly are "fixers" who can do it all for you however every once in a while a lot of people get messed up by a fixer who has crossed a red line and jeopardized everyone's legitimacy. Their services are based on corruption and that is a slippery slope when farangs are concerned.

1.) Thailand Elite Card. (Fixed Cost and legal)

2.) Work permit through a Thai company with sufficient registered capital and 4 Thai employees with paid taxes and social benefits per WP. With a work permit your are granted yearly extensions.. (Calculate the total cost of this over five years and and compare it to the Thailand Elite scheme.) If you are not really conducting business in Thailand this can be a very expensive option as it involves many people and much paperwork. If you are considering this option, ask yourself "What do I want to do in Thailand?"

3). Retirement visa, age permitting.

4.) Tourist visa. Best option for well to do nomads with wanderlust. Go to Vietnam, Paris, Bali, Rio for five months before returning to Thailand. This is completely legal if not welcomed in Thailand. For me, personally... this is the best of all best options.

5.) Marry a Thai. (This can be by far the most expensive option you may ever choose in your entire life if you select your spouse frivolously.)

6.) Education Visa; for learning and studying in Thailand. This has been publicly and widely abused. I do not recommend it for anyone other that legitimate students who are here to study.

Good luck to the OP in whatever he decides.

Find a Thai wife and get a non-immigrant O visa or if yr over 55 years you could qualify for a retirement visa non-immigrant OA

50 not 55 qualifies you for an extension to a non imm 'O' visa or to a non imm 'O''A' visa issued in home country. as well as financial income/savings

Edited by steve187

OP, you need to clarify for yourself what exactly is "best solution". It's been discussed on these fora Ad nauseam and Ad infinitum.

What is best? Least expensive, least hassle, etc. I imagine your answer should be; least expensive and legal options are "best". There certainly are "fixers" who can do it all for you however every once in a while a lot of people get messed up by a fixer who has crossed a red line and jeopardized everyone's legitimacy. Their services are based on corruption and that is a slippery slope when farangs are concerned.

2.) Work permit through a Thai company with sufficient registered capital and 4 Thai employees with paid taxes and social benefits per WP. With a work permit your are granted yearly extensions.. (Calculate the total cost of this over five years and and compare it to the Thailand Elite scheme.) If you are not really conducting business in Thailand this can be a very expensive option as it involves many people and much paperwork. If you are considering this option, ask yourself "What do I want to do in Thailand?"

4.) Tourist visa. Best option for well to do nomads with wanderlust. Go to Vietnam, Paris, Bali, Rio for five months before returning to Thailand. This is completely legal if not welcomed in Thailand. For me, personally... this is the best of all best options.

5.) Marry a Thai. (This can be by far the most expensive option you may ever choose in your entire life if you select your spouse frivolously.)

6.) Education Visa; for learning and studying in Thailand. This has been publicly and widely abused. I do not recommend it for anyone other that legitimate students who are here to study.

There are a number of posts referring to visa services as corrupt; however, it seems to me no real evidence is put forward to support this broad generalisation. Statistically, just about any human activity is bound to produce some bad apples. Just like this forum.

There are a number of posts referring to visa services as corrupt; however, it seems to me no real evidence is put forward to support this broad generalisation. Statistically, just about any human activity is bound to produce some bad apples. Just like this forum.

"There are a number of posts referring to visa services as corrupt; however, it seems to me no real evidence is put forward"

Real evidence would be anyone who offers to fix a foreigner's visa situation for a fee obtaining an extension of stay without either the required monthly income or money in the bank. This would be illegal.

In a passed time, before Thai Immigration went online there was also a booming business in passport stamps whereby a foreigner could gain all the necessary entry/exit stamps to a nearby country without leaving the Kingdom and appear to have made a border run, including TM card. This was also illegal and many foreigners were seriously inconvenienced when found out.