Thai police officer charged with biker's murder

webfact

Police officer charged with biker's murder
THE NATION

30256377-01_big.jpg?1426803858914

BANGKOK: -- A POSTMORTEM has found that a Chon Buri motorcyclist who was killed on Tuesday while passing a police checkpoint was shot once at a horizontal trajectory in the back of the head, Thai Police spokesman Lt-General Prawut Thawornsiri said yesterday.

A police officer has been charged with his murder and discharged from the service, he said. The type of bullet used to kill Nares Rojbunsongsri remains a mystery as it exited his head and could not be found at the scene, a checkpoint set up by Nong Dan police in Sri Racha district.

The main wound in Nares's head was nine millimetres in width, said Dr Suranarong Srisuran, who conducted the postmortem examination.

A detailed autopsy will be conducted at the Police General Hospital in Bangkok, with the results expected in five days.

The doctor said that the cause of death was the bullet wound and not Nares hitting his head on the ground, as claimed by the alleged shooter, Sr Sgt-Major Suphan Chamnijin.

Suphan told his superiors that he fired a warning shot vertically into the sky after Nares attempted to ride through the checkpoint when signalled to stop.

Suphan 'rammed' vehicle

It was also alleged yesterday that on Monday night, Suphan rammed a vehicle at an intersection in Bang Saen.

A woman who witnessed the incident claimed her friends were in the sedan when Suphan rammed it with his pickup. They smelled alcohol on his breath but Saen Suk police did not make him undergo a breath test, as required by the law, because their breathalysers were broken.

She said Suphan stayed in his vehicle until a case officer from Saen Suk police arrived and took him to the station.

It was claimed that all the breathalysers were under repair and Suphan did not undergo a breath test, she said.

A friend of Nares said Chon Buri motorcyclists were now happy with the police response to the killing. He said they would gather today in a peaceful manner in his memory at two locations: Koh Loi in Sri Racha district and outside Police Region 2 headquarters.

Provincial Police Region 2 has taken over the case from Nong Kham police.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-officer-charged-with-bikers-murder-30256377.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-20

• Like 1

OK. This article is the epitome of what many complain about in Thailand and in other places in the world.

In the USA, there is the Blue Code, which means cops protect cops at all costs, even when they clearly break the law, and the irony of that is not lost on many.

The only thing more sad and pathetic about this homicide, is the pathetic cover up we see, up to and including the string of "broken breathalysers"

One might think that considering we are investigating a homicide, hit and run ... by a police officer, and we drank the koolaid and agreed all the breathalysers were broken ... then we would have to also agree that the hospital was completely out of syringes to take blood for analysis.

Now just waiting for them to say

(1) That without the actual bullet, there is no way to determine the actual shooter.

(2) The nine millimeter hole in his head is not consistent with the gun the cop carried.

(3) Un-named witnesses saw another man close-by

(4) A document found on his body from Myanmar suggests he was

(A) Having trouble paying a gambling debt
(B) Involved in the drug trade
© Cheating with the wife on a well known gangster (Myanmar)
(D) All of the above

If public relations is a concern of the current administration, ending ridiculous episodes like this, along with irrational reporting of them that insults even the intelligence of a child... would be a very good place to start.

A drunk police officer hitting another car and killing a member of the public by shooting him!!

And his colleagues trying to cover his sorry backside!!

Another proud day for the Thai "police" !!

Seems that the BIB have learned their lessons well from their 'merican donut munching counterparts...

Wonder when the 'mericans will finally start prosecuting some of their trigger happy militant cops.

• Like 1

Great to hear, this copper sounds dirtier than a bag of dog$#it.. Let's hope he gets his day in court soon and feels the full weight of the law. Allegations of drink driving and admittance to firing the gun that killed a man should be more than enough to deny him bail. But i'm sure he'll still get bail even then. Still, a victory of sorts for the victim's family and friends

• Like 2

Has any reason been identified as to why the deceased did not stop when ordered? Maybe not so in this case, but failing to stop might indicate the deceased was involved in some illegal activity, or was it just a 'no helmet/tea money situation. Whatever, the policeman's reaction was way OTT.

Some years ago I was breath tested 5 times in Udon Thani Police Station and although I hadn't been drinking was still worried what might be produced. The excuses for yet another test were quite funny, " you didn't blow long enough, you blew too long " as examples.

I was breathalyzed 3 times in Japan in 2010. They used three different airbags. I think they can just change the mouthpiece, right? I don't really know.

Anyway, I didn't have a drop to drink, so I didn't mind exhaling again and again for them. I found it funny that they were so sure I had been drinking. Next they discussed getting breathalyzers from another stock, but finally gave up and decided that I was sober. There excuse the second time was that sometimes the reading isn't accurate. The third time they said that they just want to be sure. Each time they stressed that I really need to take a deep breath, which I dutifully did. That was down in Fukuoka, which can be pretty backwards compared to Tokyo.

I got pulled over in Bangkok at a police stop. They asked me if I'd been drinking. I said that I hadn't (and I hadn't), so they just sent me on my way without checking me.

• Like 1

As per most police departments around the world, there will be in police legislation what is known as "Justification For The Use Of Firearms" or similar. This justification includes but is not limited to "When in fear of your life, or in the protection of the lives of others." Someone fleeing the scene of a crime, be it on foot, or on motorbike gives no justification whatsoever for the use of firearms.

The use of firearms by the BIB is unjustified on so many occasions. There in lay a problem with recruitment, training, and policing of their own officers. There is no accountability, and if there is, those policing the accountability should also be held accountable. As for all of the breath analysing equipment being broken, or under repair.....The officer in charge of the station that day should be held accountable, and asked why his position within the police department should not be revoked immediately. Thailand, you have much work to do in the proper and justified policing of your citizens and tourists.

While it is true that flight alone is not justification, depending on the circumstances and the crime, firing on a fleeing suspect is warranted. You sound like you may be of the "he was shot in the back so the cop was wrong" crowd. That statement is false. The cop in this case likely was insulted, became enraged and acted inappropriately and willfully murdered the motorcyclist. This is not an uncommon phenomena to policing which could be eliminated through strict adherence to professionalism through strict discipline. Sadly two things that are apparently lacking with police in Thailand and other nations.

Some years ago I was breath tested 5 times in Udon Thani Police Station and although I hadn't been drinking was still worried what might be produced. The excuses for yet another test were quite funny, " you didn't blow long enough, you blew too long " as examples.

I was breathalyzed 3 times in Japan in 2010. They used three different airbags. I think they can just change the mouthpiece, right? I don't really know.

Anyway, I didn't have a drop to drink, so I didn't mind exhaling again and again for them. I found it funny that they were so sure I had been drinking. Next they discussed getting breathalyzers from another stock, but finally gave up and decided that I was sober. There excuse the second time was that sometimes the reading isn't accurate. The third time they said that they just want to be sure. Each time they stressed that I really need to take a deep breath, which I dutifully did. That was down in Fukuoka, which can be pretty backwards compared to Tokyo.

I got pulled over in Bangkok at a police stop. They asked me if I'd been drinking. I said that I hadn't (and I hadn't), so they just sent me on my way without checking me.

Maybe there is a thread somewhere else where this is relevant.