Only the cheaper beer goes up in price

wump

Just in time for Songkran, 7-11 has increased the price of a small can of Chang to 36 Baht. It is now the same price as a bottle of Tiger or a can of San Miguel Pilsener.

When I came here some 5 years ago, Chang was 25 Baht, a can of San Miguel Pilsener was 36 Baht and a Heineken was 44 Baht. Now the Chang is up nearly 50% while the San Mig can is still the same price and so is Heineken.

Should I start switching to more expensive beer as it seems far better value now? burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRRx8h9ZhP6

• Like 1

Should I start switching to more expensive beer as it seems far better value now?

If they're all the same then there's no difference.

Buy a couple of bottles of Corona if you really want to feel ripped off, they cost about 130 Baht each in the store, I've never seen them in a bar.

I've stop buying Singha beer when the dropped the size of their Quart bottle. I also remember they had an even larger bottle back in the 80's, and it was only 30 baht then. At most stores if you bu yChang by the case. Chang beer comes out to 46 baht per bottle per case of 12. In stores Chang by the bottle its about 50 baht. It is apparent, soon all the quart size bottle is being replaced to a smaller size. When that day comes, I will stop buying beer altogether. Just getting to expensive. Beer companies are getting greedy.

• Like 2

I know things get more expensive over time due to inflation, but the speed at which the prices for beer and cigarettes rises is out of control. Alcohol and nicotine are the only luxury of the poor, what will the Thai working class do in a few years when they can no longer afford them because their salary remains the same?

I'll drink almost any beer except Chang 'classic', I'd rather be dry. Is there any hope that one day there will be a decent beer that is available throughout the Nation? I mean a non chemical tasting GMO derived sugar mix of goodness knows what? I'd happily pay more for a clean beverage, maybe as much as double.

I know things get more expensive over time due to inflation, but the speed at which the prices for beer and cigarettes rises is out of control. Alcohol and nicotine are the only luxury of the poor, what will the Thai working class do in a few years when they can no longer afford them because their salary remains the same?

Yep, everything every day goes up 'cept my pension.

I've stop buying Singha beer when the dropped the size of their Quart bottle. I also remember they had an even larger bottle back in the 80's, and it was only 30 baht then. At most stores if you bu yChang by the case. Chang beer comes out to 46 baht per bottle per case of 12. In stores Chang by the bottle its about 50 baht. It is apparent, soon all the quart size bottle is being replaced to a smaller size. When that day comes, I will stop buying beer altogether. Just getting to expensive. Beer companies are getting greedy.

Yeah, I am sure beer drinkers will stop drinking beer because of the price increases in comparative numbers to the smokers who stopped buying cigarettes--more likely, they will just bitch about the cost and cut expenses elsewhere.

Should I start switching to more expensive beer as it seems far better value now?

​I think a visit to AA might be more appropriate

When the price for Chang went over 30 bahts a can I cut back to 1 each Saturday and Sunday. Thanks keep putting the price up it keeps me on the straight and narrow. Must be the Mennonite in me

I'll drink almost any beer except Chang 'classic', I'd rather be dry. Is there any hope that one day there will be a decent beer that is available throughout the Nation? I mean a non chemical tasting GMO derived sugar mix of goodness knows what? I'd happily pay more for a clean beverage, maybe as much as double.

Try making your own from scratch

Chang counts as a cheap beer? Then what would you label Leo as? Or me for most often buying Leo. In Europe I drink European beers ( Dutch, Belgian, sometimes German), in Thailand I drink Leo, picking Singh or Chang if there is no Leo.

If you are bothered about the price, buy another brand or look for alternatives.

The question whether to switch to the better brands was more tongue in cheek. I was just pointing out that now there is less or no incentive to buy the cheap stuff anymore (I know, more than 1 euro for a small can of not really tasty beer is not cheap).

If Tiger and San Mig Pilsener is the same price as Chang, who on earth would choose the Chang! Or the Leo which is even 2 Baht more and tastes horrible. I've had so many cans that were off or tasted only like chemicals, is there no quality control?

whay on earth would anybody buy anything from 7-11? Staff are usually ill-trained, <deleted> trying to push in front of you at the till... Nah, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes that visit 7-11. Support your local 'ma & pa' stores!

• Like 2

Well there is usually no mom and pop stores around anymore. And if there are, I'll always have to worry they cheat me on the price (which they often do). But yes, I prefer Family Mart to 7-11 as they are the only ones who stock my favourite, Red Horse. It's even cheaper in there than in Tesco or Big C :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

SSingha reduced the size of their bottles after the taxation went up. They had a choice, increase the price or reduce the size and they went with the latter. The economy benefited not Singha.

Drop ALL thai beer and go to beer Lao dark...
I have tried Cheers and Archa.

But, if I'm going to get cornholed by thailand alcohol mafia, I'd just as soon drink JW Red... the thai beer is just absolute garbage.

Looking forward to my up coming trip to Philippines... drink some REAL San Miguel and not the thai produced crap.

Edited by Nowisee