Different rules for Blue and Black colored license plates?

Recently, I had an issue at the Ministry Centre when renewing the vehicle tax Etc.

Apparently, the Blue numbers are for vehicles that are eligable to carry passengers as some kind of business IE School children, tourists on trips, Etc.

The Black numbers are for a purely domestic usage IE Your own personal use, and not for Hire or Taxi Etc.

Both these different coloured plates carry a different amount of taxation.

Recently, I had an issue at the Ministry Centre when renewing the vehicle tax Etc.

Apparently, the Blue numbers are for vehicles that are eligable to carry passengers as some kind of business IE School children, tourists on trips, Etc.

The Black numbers are for a purely domestic usage IE Your own personal use, and not for Hire or Taxi Etc.

Both these different coloured plates carry a different amount of taxation.

Tourists ate illegal in blue lettered plates, have to be yellow or green plates.

• 2 months later...

This is useful, but it doesn't confirm if any of the scare mongering on here about non-Thais not being able to own certain plated vehicles, or that they are not allowed in the right hand lane of the highway are true.

I don't really care as I have driven over 10,000 kms in my van with blue lettered plates, normal speeds, whatever lane and no bother at all.

But it would be nice to know if I am breaking the law (again...) with any of my driving!

Or perhaps even by owning it in the first place !!

This is useful, but it doesn't confirm if any of the scare mongering on here about non-Thais not being able to own certain plated vehicles, or that they are not allowed in the right hand lane of the highway are true.

I don't really care as I have driven over 10,000 kms in my van with blue lettered plates, normal speeds, whatever lane and no bother at all.

But it would be nice to know if I am breaking the law (again...) with any of my driving!

Or perhaps even by owning it in the first place !!

You can own and drive in the right lane. Both completely legal.

You can own but not legally drive a commercialyy plated vehicle (yellow plated).

Edited by stevenl