Moving Company Needed & My Experience Moving with Our First Move

oneday

Does anyone know a good mover in Pattaya we can use for our second move to Issan (600K trip)…a mover who uses good protection…moving type blankets or at least something rather than NOTHING and stays to put any furniture back together they had to take apart?

We just moved part of our furniture to Issan yesterday and will move the rest before going back home. The guy I called was recommended by an ex-neighbor who had a friend who recommended this guy to him…said he’d used him a lot. I tried to email my old neighbor to see how it turned out, but he never responded, so I just went with what I had.

He arrived with 4 helpers yesterday and even though they were a bit slow they were fairly careful getting the furniture down from the second floor and onto the truck. My girl had called them to see if they had protection from the rain and he said “yes” and I thought she had asked if he had moving type blankets for protection and there’s where the problem was…he didn’t. He actually used some of our sheets and stuff to partially protect the furniture.

My girl just called and said there was lots of damage. When it was pointed out to him he just said, "sorry" and that was it for him. On top of that he came alone and did not stay to help put the bed back together. Needless to say we were very pis…ed @#$@! and won't be using him again.

PS: If anyone wants the picture of the guys truck we used and his phone number so you can avoid him then PM me. Can't post it here with Thailand's wonderful defamation laws, even though every word I say is 100% true.

Edited by CharlieH

Welcome to the land of Mai pen rai, its always mai pen rai when its YOUR money....very different when its theirs.

I have yet to find a decent workmen except the paint guy i used recently for virtually anything, seriously you need to do as much as you can yourself as they simply dont care one jot.

I came here thinking Id retire have a nice house some land couple of staff get a house built blah blah......ended up doing it all myself every last block.

Good, i have a house which isnt a pile of crap with no leaks in the plumbing or roof and everything is perfect...............the price you pay though is high but less than the mental pain of dealing with any workers.

• Like 1

We just had a house built and the builder was and still is phenomenal. We are now using a different group of people to make our front wall and they are also phenomenal. When you find good, skilled, professional workers in this country they are like finding gold.

I know all about "Mai Pen Rai" and liars and all that stuff. That's why I'm posting this thread to find someone who has DIRECT EXPERIENCE with a mover they can recommend in Pattaya. So please...no one point me in the direction of Sukhumwit. I know all about those trucks and I doubt anyone of them would be any better than the guy we just used.

When I moved to Hua Hin the people wrapped everything in bubble wrap but this being Thailand then used masking tape to connect to my hand made wooden furniture so tape marks everywhere. Mai Pen Rai mister sad.png

Edited by MickA

I would recommend calling Crown or Asian Tigers. They are Bangkok based but all the good companies are.

The charge of them running from Bangkok to Pattaya is next to nothing and you can insure against damage.

I should add that all the proper removal companies will give you a free quote.

And a little bit of 'WOW that's a bit steep' can help to knock a few baht off the bill.

Edited by berybert

We've used Asian Tigers twice in 6 years and absolutely no complaints at all

OP has been in Thailand a few years but can't speak enough Thai to book the mover so he left everything up to his girlfriend who got the instructions botched (to what extent, we don't know) and cries foul. I'd like to hear the mover's response....

Friends don't ask friends for help moving.

I've used Crown and they were great.

Same here, expensive but no issues at all!

Companies that have well trained staff, quality equipment, good customer service and insurance are generally worth more than companies that do not.

I guess it comes down to what one is moving and what it's worth to them.

Friends don't ask friends for help moving.

I've used Crown and they were great.

Same here, expensive but no issues at all!

Companies that have well trained staff, quality equipment, good customer service and insurance are generally worth more than companies that do not.

I guess it comes down to what one is moving and what it's worth to them.

stating the obvious but your final comment is correct ..... what is the stuff worth (value-wise or just personal/sentimental value) and that will determine what you will pay methinks

Like most things in life, if you want it done right, do it yourself. That said, I suggest you buy rolls of bubble wrap for the items you want protected. Then have a mover actually take them where you want to go. I recently moved to Chiang Mai from Pattaya. I found a reliable company, based in BKK called InterMover. There was a small fee for the Pattaya pick up. But my belongings got to C Mai without any damage, lost items or problems. You can call JULA at 089-636-2058.

• 4 years later...

Definitely look into a moving company if this is your first time doing it. Moving is a LOT of work and problems, at least minor ones, crop up all the time. a1autotransport.com is a good mover I've used (from the US but they operate around the world). Never a bad idea to weigh your options and contact a couple if you want to get the best price. some are much higher than others for whatever reason even if they're providing the same service.