Have you been to Bhutan with your SO?

RuamRudy

My partner has dropped several hints that he would like to go to Bhutan so I thought I would arrange a tour for us to celebrate his birthday, but Wikitravel has the following warning for the country:

Homosexuality is illegal, and is enforced. Punishment includes prison sentence between 1 month to one year. The United States Department of State issues a travel warning to anyone who is LGBT.

The US travel advice is actually pretty relaxed in comparison:

Although there are no laws that explicitly prohibit consensual same-sex sexual activity, laws against “sodomy or any other sexual conduct that is against the order of nature” exist. Under the penal code, a person can be imprisoned for as long as one year for engaging in such acts. One government official noted that prosecution under this law is rare, as criminal intent must be proven by the prosecution. There have been no reported cases of such charges.

We are not outwardly obvious, and other than him being Asian and me farang, the two of us walking down the street shoudl not raise suspicions. Hotels with twin beds would be the order of the day night.

So, any reports from other TV visitors on how you were treated would be much appreciated!

• 7 months later...

Beautiful country with lovely people. Just be relatively discrete and you will have a great time.

You were right on all fronts - we went and had a great time, absolutely no trouble at all.

Bhutan is a bit pricey and the food is not so exciting, but the country and the people are amazing; if you can visit, do so soon - before it embraces the 21st century too much.

Beautiful country with lovely people. Just be relatively discrete and you will have a great time.

You were right on all fronts - we went and had a great time, absolutely no trouble at all.

Bhutan is a bit pricey and the food is not so exciting, but the country and the people are amazing; if you can visit, do so soon - before it embraces the 21st century too much.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. I really felt a connection there in a strange way...want to go back again. Agree about the food!