Where can I find 2 favorite wines ... Lambrusco (prefer sweet Riunite) or any Sangria

carken

I've searched high and low in Thailand for Lambrusco or Sangria wine. Yes I understand sweet wine(s) are for the uneducated non-connoisseur/sommelier low-brow idjets. I just happen to really love sweet cold wine (yes I know cold wine is another social faux pas) ... what can I say I'm just a ordinary slob who likes cold sweet wine. I hope this will hold the "Oh my gawd!!" comments to a minimum. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for your help guys ..... I promise not to tell the sophisticats about your help ;)crazy.gif

• Like 1

Oh Yeah! I've been missing this wine ever since I moved here. Lambrusco: the "soft, semi-dry table wine." I don't consider it to be that sweet, but rather just right and all-purpose -- for any meals or for just drinking it straight down on its own. In the States I converted many friends and family to wine drinking for the first time by serving them this. My Italian-American barber in the 1970s first recommended it to me, and it became my favorite for decades. I would love to find it --or its reasonable equivalent -- here in Thailand. Please let me know if it is available here.

As for Sangria, I once found some Yago Sangria here (maybe in a BigC), but it was many years ago and I haven't found it anywhere since. This is definitely a sweet and fruity wine, and my Thai wife absolutely loved it. It is a product of Spain, and the bottle was long and square with a matador on the label. A classic.

Google: Mondo Vino Hua Hin

Thanks JOC for the info

"Mondo Vino" looks like an excellent place to start

Since there "wine selsction" page wasn't working

(watched the little "loading" spinning circle spin

and spin and spin for about 20 minutes with nothing

happening) so I sent them an email inquiry. Hope I

hit paydirt ....... thanks again amigo smile.png

Oh Yeah! I've been missing this wine ever since I moved here. Lambrusco: the "soft, semi-dry table wine." I don't consider it to be that sweet, but rather just right and all-purpose -- for any meals or for just drinking it straight down on its own. In the States I converted many friends and family to wine drinking for the first time by serving them this. My Italian-American barber in the 1970s first recommended it to me, and it became my favorite for decades. I would love to find it --or its reasonable equivalent -- here in Thailand. Please let me know if it is available here.

As for Sangria, I once found some Yago Sangria here (maybe in a BigC), but it was many years ago and I haven't found it anywhere since. This is definitely a sweet and fruity wine, and my Thai wife absolutely loved it. It is a product of Spain, and the bottle was long and square with a matador on the label. A classic.

Yeah NWH I also got hooked in the 70's ... that's when Lambrusco got popular in the states and didn't fade til the early 90's, Even though it's popularity waned a bit it still remained a pretty good staple for dinner or just socializing. And like you said it really isn't that sweet like Sangria or some of the so called really sweet "Hawaiian" wines ("Lalani" and such) that also were popular in the 60/70/80's. Lambrusco was "just right". It also was really a popular mix for the wine "Spritzer" crowd. I sure do miss the great flavor/taste, not many wines can please both the "sweet" AND "dry" wine drinker. I took JOC's suggestion/info and contacted "Mondo Vino" hopfully they'll stock both Lambrusco and Sangria, let's keep our finger's and toes crossed tongue.png

Chilled Lambrusco was always my favorite...and I grew up in an Italian neighborhood (in syracuse, new york). Riunite is fine....and I always loved Chianti..(especially in the cute basket which would enclose the bottle). Prices are outrageous, but I do miss it.

You can keep all the Sangria....

That brings back memories. I can suggest another for you and I am sure it will tweek a few memories and that's Muteus Rose' or Castle Mendes. Mutues is available at villa market about 550 a bottle and CM is at wine connection HH. Nothing like some Italian food and a bottle of Muteus. Cheers

Bottle of red.....a cup of grapefruit juice(villa)....couple squeezed limes. Soda water to taste....ground up fruit......you can blend the wine and fruitjuice for a min or two in a blender.

Looks like you've got your answers on where to get Lambrusco/Sangria but as you rightly point out, your taste in sweet wine does lack a certain refinement.

Absolutely nothing unrefined about sweet wines though either 'dessert' or 'drinking'.

It's all French; for 'dessert' it has to be Sauternes or Barsac and for 'drinking', the Alsatian Reislings - Gewurztraminer is superb.

Edited by piersbeckett