Body of farang tourist found in Pattaya sea

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri: A body of unidentified western man was spotted floating in the Pattaya sea Saturday, police said.

Pol Lt Sombat Kaewmulmook, an interrogator of of Pattaya police station, receive a phone call at 10 am, informing that a farang’s body was seen floating near Koh Joon, about one nautical mile from Pattaya beach.

He and marine police and rescuers from Sawang Boribun Pattaya Foundation rushed to the spot in a speed boat.

The body was found about 100 meters from the island. He was facing down in the sea and had no shirt. He was wearing swimming trunk with blue strips on the left and right sides.

Officials did not find any trace of injuries on his body. It was expected he had died for 12 hours.

The foundation rescuers retrieved the body and sent it to the Bang Lamung Hospital for transfer to the Police Hospital for an autopsy.

Thom Yutthasunthorn, 34, who lets tourist rent beach umbrellas and beds in front of Soi 13/2 on the Pattaya Beach Road, said he remembered seeing the man renting a canvas bed of another operator next to his lot.

He saw the man going to swim in the sea. Hours later, the man did not return to his canvas bed. He said the owner of the bed also asked him whether he saw the farang tourist. He replied that he didn’t see him and expected that the man might return to his hotel.

Thom said when he heard a body was found, he came to check and found that it was the same tourist.

Police suspected that the tourist drowned while swimming and his body was washed out by the tide.

Saw a news expose on Thai TV About rip tides. One place near Bkk Has a nice beach. The govt puts up signs warning about the dangers and locations of the rips.....the local food sellers tear them down on a regular basis!!!! Like I said this was a Thai tv expose....I watched it with my wife and she could not believe it either.

• Like 1

Saw a news expose on Thai TV About rip tides. One place near Bkk Has a nice beach. The govt puts up signs warning about the dangers and locations of the rips.....the local food sellers tear them down on a regular basis!!!! Like I said this was a Thai tv expose....I watched it with my wife and she could not believe it either.

First I'll say RIP to the unfortunate dead farang, and offer condolences to his family and loved ones.

On riptides: The most beautiful beaches I've ever seen in Thailand have been those near Prachuap Khiri Khan (ประจวบคีรีขันธ). Beautiful beaches and almost no swimmers. This place is renowned for fierce riptides. The scenery can't be beat and there are I've never met a beach vendor when I've been there.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it's like a perfect storm, as too many tourists take an inordinate amount of risk in Thailand-- as compared to in their home countries.

Compare that with the Thai Buddhist fatalistic approach to life--and inherently dangerous conditions in the country-- and VOILA, you have a recipe for disaster ladies and gentlemen..

One after the other after the other after the other after the other after the other after the other after the other, until someone takes the bull by the horns, like individual Thais and tourists.

• Like 2

Well, the concept of repeat business is obviously lost on LOS.

• Like 1

"Police suspected that the tourist drowned while swimming and his body was washed out by the tide."

Or somebody helped him drowning while swimming!

At least RTP have ruled out suicide this time.

First I'll say RIP to the unfortunate dead farang, and offer condolences to his family and loved ones.

On riptides: The most beautiful beaches I've ever seen in Thailand have been those near Prachuap Khiri Khan (ประจวบคีรีขันธ). Beautiful beaches and almost no swimmers. This place is renowned for fierce riptides. The scenery can't be beat and there are I've never met a beach vendor when I've been there.

My Thai lady is from there and we visit her family on a regular basis. This is the absolute most beautiful place I ever laid my eyes on.

The expose I watched was highlighting a beach even close to Bkk than Prachuab. It seemed like ChaAm.....and it showed a dead student who just finished Uni. ....Jeez I own land or rather my company does in Prachuab. In Kal kalok.....Eight rai...its nice but no way the most beautiful........

My Thai lady is from there and we visit her family on a regular basis. This is the absolute most beautiful place I ever laid my eyes on.

Agreed. It's stunning.

Again... RIP to the unfortunate Pattaya bloke.