Converting 30 Day Visa Exempt to Non-O Based On Retirement

Is there any reason why it is better to convert from a 60 Day tourist visa (obtained outside of Thailand) to a Non-O for retirement purposes, than to do the same conversion from a 30 day visa exempt?

My circumstances are that I'm over 50, already have the 800K in a thai bank account, already rent a property in thailand etc. I don't understand the need to go to the hassle of getting a tourist visa in the UK if I can convert a visa on arrival.

Other than the time constraints of having to go to Bangkok Immigration on or around the 14th day of my visit what other benefits are there for going the tourist Visa route?

Thanks in advance.

There is no advantage to getting a tourist visa other than the additional time it gives you to apply for the non immigrant visa and that you don't need a return or onward ticket within 30 days of arrival

The best option before leaving the UK is to obtain a single entry non-o visa from one of the consulates (not Hull though).

You have to make 2 trips to immigration in Bangkok 15 days apart to get the non immigrant visa/entry stamps.

Before I first came over here years ago, I used a visa service in the US to obtain a Non-O visa so I later could obtain the one-year retirement extension. After they received the paperwork, they telephoned me and asked me if I wanted a Non-O or a Tourist Visa. I told them I didn't care which one I got so long as I could use it to obtain the retirement extension. I ended up with a Tourist Visa and that was my mistake - I should have insisted on the Non-O that I actually applied for with that outfit. When I went to immigration (Hua Hin) to get the retirement extension, I was immediately told that one couldn't get that from a Tourist visa; however, they helped me out - cancelling the Tourist Visa and then issuing me a Non-O and retirement extension (which began 90 days later) the same day. No big deal but whatever I spent for the Tourist Visa was wasted money. [And I note that I've been told and read....which means it may or may not be true....that some immigration offices will no longer do for others what they did for me].

So...as stated by others....best (and cheapest) way is to come in with the Non-O to start out with as every immigration office will grant you the retirement extension based on that (presuming you meet the requirements, of course).

Edit: Reading the OP again, I think he's wondering if he can jump to from a visa-exempt entry to a Non-O here in Thailand. A friend here in Chiang Mai tried that in January of this year and they told him "no way." He ended up jumping over to Laos to get a Non-O visa which he will use to get his one-year extension based on retirement in the next few weeks.

Edited by CMBob

Before I first came over here years ago, I used a visa service in the US to obtain a Non-O visa so I later could obtain the one-year retirement extension. After they received the paperwork, they telephoned me and asked me if I wanted a Non-O or a Tourist Visa. I told them I didn't care which one I got so long as I could use it to obtain the retirement extension. I ended up with a Tourist Visa and that was my mistake - I should have insisted on the Non-O that I actually applied for with that outfit. When I went to immigration (Hua Hin) to get the retirement extension, I was immediately told that one couldn't get that from a Tourist visa; however, they helped me out - cancelling the Tourist Visa and then issuing me a Non-O and retirement extension (which began 90 days later) the same day. No big deal but whatever I spent for the Tourist Visa was wasted money. [And I note that I've been told and read....which means it may or may not be true....that some immigration offices will no longer do for others what they did for me].

So...as stated by others....best (and cheapest) way is to come in with the Non-O to start out with as every immigration office will grant you the retirement extension based on that (presuming you meet the requirements, of course).

Edit: Reading the OP again, I think he's wondering if he can jump to from a visa-exempt entry to a Non-O here in Thailand. A friend here in Chiang Mai tried that in January of this year and they told him "no way." He ended up jumping over to Laos to get a Non-O visa which he will use to get his one-year extension based on retirement in the next few weeks.

Local immigration offices can no longer do the change to a non immigrant visa. Bangkok is the only place that you can do one now.

So it is not near as easy as it was when you did it.

Many people are going out to get a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate instead of having to make 2 trips to Bangkok,

There is no advantage to getting a tourist visa other than the additional time it gives you to apply for the non immigrant visa and that you don't need a return or onward ticket within 30 days of arrival

The best option before leaving the UK is to obtain a single entry non-o visa from one of the consulates (not Hull though).

You have to make 2 trips to immigration in Bangkok 15 days apart to get the non immigrant visa/entry stamps.

You can get a non-o visa from the Hull Consulate. They have to be authorised by London Embassy but you just email the application to Hull with any scanned documents a couple of days before you visit the Consulate. They let you know when its ready.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

Thanks for the information, as far as the return ticket issue is concerned that's not a problem since in every case I have looked at so far a one way ticket is more expensive than a return so I will have a return ticket and just not use the second flight.

As for going to Bangkok twice, again no problem for me since I shuttle backwards and forwards between Pattaya and Bangkok regularly when I'm over there anyway. If the conversion from Visa exempt to Non-O Imm can definitely be done then its less hassle for me than having to get a tourist visa or Non-O here in the UK.

The best option is to simply get a non-O visa in the UK. But if you want a conversion can easily be done in Bangkok.

For a conversion they will want evidence the money came from abroad, but if you can show that the money is already in Thailand for a long time it should be fine.

If someone enters on the 30 day visa exempt I know they can get another 30 days at local immigration office = 60 days

Would this allow sufficient time to do an O based on retirement ( thinking of the requirement that the money has to be in the bank account for 60 days ) ?

If someone enters on the 30 day visa exempt I know they can get another 30 days at local immigration office = 60 days

Would this allow sufficient time to do an O based on retirement ( thinking of the requirement that the money has to be in the bank account for 60 days ) ?

There is no seasoning requirement for the conversion. Since visa issued by conversion permits stay for 90 days, then there is ample time for the extension,

you cant convert what isnt a visa into a visa.

before you can do anything you need to leave the country.

Incorrect. Read posting #3 above.

Visa exempt entries can be converted in Bangkok, to non immigration visa with 15 days remaining permitted stay, and meeting the requirements for a subsequent extension fo stay for retirement, marriage, or even employment.

Edited by paz

You can get a non-o visa from the Hull Consulate. They have to be authorised by London Embassy but you just email the application to Hull with any scanned documents a couple of days before you visit the Consulate. They let you know when its ready.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

Only if you are 65 or over will you get a non-o visa at Hull. There have been people under 65 who have tried and got tourist visa instead.

From: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=20150220103856

"4) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner aged 65 and over. Evidence required: a) Current “DWP Pension Statement” showing receipt of UK State Pension (no minimum necessary). Either a single or multiple entry visa may be granted in these circumstances."

ubonjoe got my hopes up (posts 3&6) enough so that what happened to me at CW Immigration today seemed strange.

I'm American on a 30-day stamp, still enough time, enough money in Bkk Bank long time for retirement extension of stay, my goal.

I had TM.7 completed, copies in order, cash in hand. I wrote that I wanted a non-imm O visa so that I could then apply for retirement.

The first lady officer offered me 30 more days. No thanks. She handed me off to an older woman, who had me fill out another form, TM.87, and told me to report to another office. I thought I was in the right place. I wasn't.

The third officer I met seemed pretty high-up. She examined my papers, pointing out that I live in Pattaya, not in Bangkok. Thus, according to her, I must try and do this two-step visa dance in Jomtien, only, since I live there. I told her I thought this kind of visa conversion could be done only in Bangkok, so I made a special trip here to get this process started.

Since I'm hard of hearing, she was kind enough to write four words for me on a bit of paper: " New laws Last Friday ", while pointing at Friday the 13th of March on her calendar. She refused to give me the non-imm O. I will have to go to Jomtien immigration, a place I dislike.

I came away in disbelief, feeling like she was playing with me.

Has there really been another sudden change in Immigration policies?

steve187, on 23 Mar 2015 - 23:39, said:

Faz, which consulates

some new stuff on there non imm 'O''A' for men married to a Thai, non imm 'O''A' issued in Thailand, multi non imm 'O' for over 50.

Came from the Embassy in London.

I know that Liverpool adhere to it.

Hull had it's arse slapped and seems restricted in what it can offer without Londons approval.

paz, on 24 Mar 2015 - 00:38, said:
thailien8, on 23 Mar 2015 - 23:02, said:

Has there really been another sudden change in Immigration policies?

I don't think so. I'm afraid you've been dismissed for no reason. Let us know from Jomtien.

This is probably something to do with the new order sent to every Immigration Office by the Commissioner of Immigration which was put into effect this week, and I reported in another thread. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/809400-new-90-day-report-ruling/

The order stated foreigners must report to the Immigration Office where they received their extensions.

Looks like they are linking your address to your local office and saying that's where you have to go.

They are overlooking other aspects of Police Orders. This new order is being misinterpreted. It's gonna cause a few problems!

This is probably something to do with the new order sent to every Immigration Office by the Commissioner of Immigration which was put into effect this week, and I reported in another thread. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/809400-new-90-day-report-ruling/

Could be. But Jomtien, like all the other local offices has been recently stripped of the authority for doing visa conversions, and will send the person back to Bangkok.

Edited by paz

Are you SURE that there were at least 15 days remaining on the original permission to stay ?

There have been no "sudden" changes in policy

I went to CW immigration on 23 March. My 30 days will expire on 16 April. So her refusal was not for this reason.

Before going back to try this at Jomtien, I wonder if I could try one more time at CW. Maybe if I just write the name and address of the hotel I'm staying at in Bangkok?

I have seen no reports of any changes. But that does not mean that they have changed the rules to where Jomtien can do the non immigrant visas again.

I would check with Jomtien before going back to Bangkok.

Bangkok for doing non immigrant visas do not care about where you are living,

thailien8, on 24 Mar 2015 - 10:14, said:
nzexpat, on 23 Mar 2015 - 23:30, said:

Are you SURE that there were at least 15 days remaining on the original permission to stay ?

There have been no "sudden" changes in policy

I went to CW immigration on 23 March. My 30 days will expire on 16 April. So her refusal was not for this reason.

Before going back to try this at Jomtien, I wonder if I could try one more time at CW. Maybe if I just write the name and address of the hotel I'm staying at in Bangkok?

Nothing to lose.

Trying to find out what the 'new orders' are exactly, is like trying to extract blood from a stone.

According to the following

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/810629-too-often-in-and-out-travelling-causes-problems-in-suvarnabhumi/?p=9226199

Jomtien is accepting again visa conversion. If that is confirmed I'm happy to have been wrong above.

What is sure anyway, not a word about on immigration website. A little shameful.

Tried at Jomtien today, and still feel like a hamster on a wheel. Got there Friday, 1:30 pm. Still trying to change 30 days into non-imm O, then eventually Retirement extension of stay, which I've had before, and still qualify for.

Came prepared with TM7 and TM 87 completed, photos attached, copies made, money in hand.

A receptionist at the right-hand desk insisted on "two copies of everything". The copy shop next door profited.

Back again with two copies, she expertly arranged all my papers into two neat piles, gave me a queue number and sent me on. None of the queue info boards were working, but I must have wandered the right way, as an officer sat me down with her. No waiting!

She glanced thru my papers and sent me into the office behind her, where two young lady officers actually smiled briefly and I sat down to wait only 5 minutes while they finished up another one.

She took a while with my papers, and I was starting to think that I might actually make progress.

But she found a flaw -- I have no rental contract. I showed her receipts for rent payments, owner's business card, even photos of me standing outside my apartment building (These were left over from my Education visa renewals in 2014, when photos of residence were required.) The photos helped then, but they were of no help today. All I had was "not enough".

I would need to produce a contract for the cheap room I rent month by month in Pattaya. Never mind that I've never had a contract for this room.

When I asked what this contract should have, the officer showed me a formal contract form, already filled out and all in Thai. When I asked for a blank form for my landlady to fill out, the officer would not give me one.

She wrote a message in Thai on a scrap of paper and clipped it to my passport. " ขอสัญญาเช่า " (request contract of rent)

She urged me to talk to the owner of my building who would hopefully produce this contract before my 15-days run out on 1 April.

She seemed to imply that if I can do this, then my non-imm O visa might possibly actually happen...?

Well, at least there was no waiting time, and she didn't tell me to go to Laos.

There is no seasoning requirement for the conversion. Since visa issued by conversion permits stay for 90 days, then there is ample time for the extension,

Good info, a bit more clarification pls:

So, you can season during the 90 days of the extension which you get at conversion, if I understand you.

For the conversion, do you still have to show the 800k is in a Thai Bank already (even if not yet for 60 days) and show proof from the Thai bank that it came from abroad,.... is that correct?

Thx from a 49 and 3/4 year old

Edited by JJBloke

So, you can season during the 90 days of the extension which you get at conversion, if I understand you.

For the conversion, do you still have to show the 800k is in a Thai Bank already (even if not yet for 60 days) and show proof from the Thai bank that it came from abroad,.... is that correct?

For first extension application seasoning is two months not three. The rest is correct.