US evacuates all personnel from Yemen

Lite Beer

US evacuates all personnel from Yemen: State Dept

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The United States said Saturday it will evacuate its staff from Yemen for security reasons, one day after several suicide bombings claimed by the Islamic State group killed 142 people in Sanaa.

"Due to the deteriong security situation in Yemen, the US government has temporarily relocated its remaining personnel out of Yemen," State Department spokesman Jeff Rathke said in a statement.

Violence-wracked Yemen is teetering on the brink of civil war, with Iran-backed Shiite Huthi rebels controlling the north and the south is dominated by allies of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi, who fled house arrest in Sanaa to Aden in February.

The United Nation Security Council said it would hold an emergency meeting Sunday on the Yemen crisis, while US troops were earlier evacuated from a key airbase in the south.

The United States said Hadi was informed of its decision and that Washington "will continue to engage the Yemeni people and the international community to strongly support Yemen’s political transition."

"We also continue to actively monitor terrorist threats emanating from Yemen and have capabilities postured in the area to address them," Rathke said.

Yemen has been torn by unrest since ex-strongman Ali Abdullah Saleh stepped down in early 2012 after a year-long popular uprising against him, with powerful armed groups sidelining the government since.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/US-evacuates-all-personnel-from-Yemen-State-Dept-30256519.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-03-22

I heard on the radio that US soldiers were in a firefight with Al Qaeda at or near an airbase in Yemen very recently as in the past couple of days. I think this would be soldiers protecting these people who have left.

I heard all have left.

• Like 2

I don't like to say much about places which I haven't got some first hand knowledge about, but from what I have heard when I lived in the region, Yemen is a very backward country.

It's sad to see any place and any group of civilians face military conflict, but for most Western countries I wonder what is the importance of Yemen, other than it seems like a breeding ground for some not-very-nice groups of people.

Would the news be that it's a hotbed of Al Qaeda and ISIS and the US decided to pull out its representatives?

Would this be of concern to Saudi? This is only about 400 miles / 650 kms from Mecca.

• Like 2

Anyone got a magic wand (?), which they can wave and Poofff! all people disappear, and, after 150 years of recovery, wild animals and native plants return.

Most scientists who study 'Early Man' opine that the second great migration out of Africa took place near Aden, where Africa and the Saudi peninsula come withing about 24 miles of touching. The first migration is thought to have taken place much earlier, but petered out in an area around present-day Israel - though descendents of that 1st wave may have gone on in to Europe and become the Neanderthals. Even so, the 2nd wave likely came across (in reed/thatch boats?) to present-day Yemen, and slowly migrated on up the coast.

Do Yemenis even know the geographical significance of their bit of land? Probably too busy dodging bullets to give it much thought.

I think a lot of us know that it's a hotbed for some nasty groups, but I think it is up to Saudi Arabia to take the lead on this situation.

I see you have been fairly prolific in posting in a lot of these threads and it should be obvious that quite a bit of the world, doesn't want the US to meddle in the affairs of others. This looks like a good place to start.

Perhaps some of those critical countries can help out with whatever problems develop in the region.

Well this doesn't help, does it?

The Pentagon is unable to account for more than $500 million in U.S. military aid given to Yemen, amid fears that the weaponry, aircraft and equipment is at risk of being seized by Iranian-backed rebels or al-Qaeda, according to U.S. officials.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/pentagon-loses-sight-of-500-million-in-counterterrorism-aid-given-to-yemen/2015/03/17/f4ca25ce-cbf9-11e4-8a46-b1dc9be5a8ff_story.html

• Like 1

Good start USA, now keep going. 900 bases to go.

Jesus. The US evacuated its embassy and then about 100 troops which would always be in place in a situation like that.

Does your wimpy country have any embassies or are you isolationist?

US involvement in Yemen was [is?] far more than just maintaining an embassy and 100 troops.

You forgot to mention the drones and a lot of other covert operations.

You don't necessarily have to be wimpy to be an isolationist. In many cases isolationism is another word for pragmatism... and it's the best way to go.

Military intervention often has unintended consequences, as we've seen in so many countries where the results have been a disaster.

• Like 1

I don't like to say much about places which I haven't got some first hand knowledge about, but from what I have heard when I lived in the region, Yemen is a very backward country.

It's sad to see any place and any group of civilians face military conflict, but for most Western countries I wonder what is the importance of Yemen, other than it seems like a breeding ground for some not-very-nice groups of people.

I had the misfortune of traveling to Yemen in 2000 for 10 days on business.

I've been to 45 countries total, with Thailand, Mexico & Argentina being my favorites.

The top two worst were Yemen & Bangladesh.

I did visit Afghanistan, but never stepped off Bagram Air Base & same for Camp "Liberty" in Baghdad, so can't really comment on those places.

Yemen & Bangladesh were two peas in a pod though. EVERYWHERE I looked there was a pile....of something. Mostly garbage or building waste of some form or other.

EVERYBODY more busy honking their horns than paying attention to actually driving.

I was only in Sanaa.....lots of history around there. Too bad it's populated with idiots.

• Like 1

What an ambiguous, weasel-worded bunch of clap-trap. I was going to ask if he meant that we were also withdrawing our combat forces, but then came the statement: "We also continue to actively monitor terrorist threats emanating from Yemen and have capabilities postured in the area to address them," Rathke said.

So apparently the combat forces are still there, except for the drone operators, who are at an Air Force base in Nevada. Guess he just meant the embassy staff were withdrawn.

A short while back Obama was holding up Yemen as his finest hour in international diplomacy and achievement...say what?

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/02/15/yemen-another-obama-administration-foreign-policy-failure/

Don't believe anything you read at Dead Breitbart's House of Unemployable Writers. Try reading Tom's Dispatch or Sic Semper Tyrannis for what's going on in the Middle East. Juan Cole's Informed Comment is good, too. Dead Breitbart's is where James O'Keefe sells his fiction. Other good sources, if you prefer conservative commentary are the Washington Post and The New York Times. Well, the Times doesn't have so much conservative commentary, and they are mostly stenographers for the government, so you probably wouldn't enjoy them. Oh, yeah, avoid Matt Drudge, too. He doesn't know dick.

You got one thing right, though. Obama's statement about Yemen was a very, very sick joke.

Edited by Acharn
  • Like 1

Jesus. The US evacuated its embassy and then about 100 troops which would always be in place in a situation like that.

i am a mind-my-own-businist

• Like 1

Would the news be that it's a hotbed of Al Qaeda and ISIS and the US decided to pull out its representatives?

Would this be of concern to Saudi? This is only about 400 miles / 650 kms from Mecca.

If it would be a nucleus of terrorist recruitment and training. Why would the U.S. pull out????? They should just hit the place with everything they got. SPLAT

I think a lot of us know that it's a hotbed for some nasty groups, but I think it is up to Saudi Arabia to take the lead on this situation.

I see you have been fairly prolific in posting in a lot of these threads and it should be obvious that quite a bit of the world, doesn't want the US to meddle in the affairs of others. This looks like a good place to start.

Perhaps some of those critical countries can help out with whatever problems develop in the region.

Sorry to advise you but the material wealth neighboring countries are way to busy commissioning their new yachts and designing their gold plated 777's.

• Like 1

If it would be a nucleus of terrorist recruitment and training. Why would the U.S. pull out????? They should just hit the place with everything they got. SPLAT

Naw, too messy. Let the locals splat each other for awhile. Similar to northern Nigeria. I feel sorry for the schoolgirls, though.

USA seems to be a really friendly country. USA got clubhouses for partying all over the ME/Central Asia. Or should we call it the opposite of isolitionist? A expansionist?

post-162508-14272603314782_thumb.jpg

Edited by BKKBobby
  • Like 1

or, looking at the red and blue map above, to put it another way: There's always internecine conflict in that region, and it shows no signs of getting better, even after 4,500 years .... its people need a big brother, in order to not annihilate each others. One difference now, from the day of the Assyrians, is many people worldwide won't mind if they do annihilate each other.

Edited by boomerangutang

USA seems to be a really friendly country. USA got clubhouses for partying all over the ME/Central Asia. Or should we call it the opposite of isolitionist? A expansionist?

More like suppressing democracy by keeping theocratic dictators in power, as long as they do Uncle Sams bidding, dont step out of line though or you will be overthrown.

• Like 1

Yemen is a dirt poor country that suppress 35-40% of the population. No US president can have any success there unless the meaning of success is strong support of the suppressor which might lead to that beloved stability. Like realpolitik, huh? Keyboard Kissingers

Yemen is a dirt poor country that suppress 35-40% of the population. No US president can have any success there unless the meaning of success is strong support of the suppressor which might lead to that beloved stability. Like realpolitik, huh? Keyboard Kissingers

allow me to clip your middle sentence: 'No US president can have success there.'

Darned if you do, darned if you don't. If a person loves all other people, no matter what - perhaps that's a noble virtue. I was more that way in my younger years. Now I'm more cynical. If a country's people choose to adhere to an archaic mean-spirited belief system, and allow mafia-like tough guys to take political power, .....then they pretty much deserve the misery which ensues. It doesn't help that they reside in a region with nearly zero natural resources. Yemen is also the world's hub for qat chewing (a dried leaf drug which gives a hyper-caffeine buzz).

Any wild animals or their natural habitat have long since been destroyed (not much different than Thailand). I don't have much of a bleeding heart for adults, but for kids, it's sad. They don't have a choice. They're popped in to a world of mayhem, and have no viable way out. Even if they wanted to quit the belief system they're saddled with, they can be killed by fanatics for doing so.

allow me to clip your middle sentence: 'No US president can have success there.'

Darned if you do, darned if you don't. If a person loves all other people, no matter what - perhaps that's a noble virtue. I was more that way in my younger years. Now I'm more cynical. If a country's people choose to adhere to an archaic mean-spirited belief system, and allow mafia-like tough guys to take political power, .....then they pretty much deserve the misery which ensues. It doesn't help that they reside in a region with nearly zero natural resources. Yemen is also the world's hub for qat chewing (a dried leaf drug which gives a hyper-caffeine buzz).

Any wild animals or their natural habitat have long since been destroyed (not much different than Thailand). I don't have much of a bleeding heart for adults, but for kids, it's sad. They don't have a choice. They're popped in to a world of mayhem, and have no viable way out. Even if they wanted to quit the belief system they're saddled with, they can be killed by fanatics for doing so.

So USA should support suppressors? You only focus on parts of my second sentence and skipped paying attention to the point I was making about US-Yemen. Edited by BKKBobby

Sorry to advise you but the material wealth neighboring countries are way to busy commissioning their new yachts and designing their gold plated 777's.

Say what?

<snip>

Well, that's what caused the problem to begin with. They hit a village, al Ma'jalah, with a BGM 109D Tomahawk cruise missile loaded with BLU97A/B cluster munitions on December 17, 2009. Killed 41 people, whom the locals said were all civilians; 21 children, 14 women. The government in Sana'a claimed they had bombed an al Qaeda training camp, but they didn't/don't have any Tomahawk cruise missiles. The Tomahawk, by the way, is launched from a naval vessel, surface or submarine. We now know this operation was specifically authorized by the Joint Special Operations Command. Anyway, before we did that al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula was basically half a dozen crazy guys who would go out tnat yell on street corners, plus Anwar al Awlaki who was hanging out with them. Now we eventually hit Awlaki with a Predator, and his 16-year old son a week later (along with a 16-year-old cousin), and the result was not good. After the massacre of al Ma'jalah, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula started to have some success recruiting people and carrying on a rebellion/revolution against the unpopular government. As we poured in more and more support for the corrupt unpopular government, and sent troops to "advise," the rebellion grew bigger and bigger. Large numbers of people defected from the government and joined the opposition every time we bombed another village or wedding party. What has happened recently is that a new group, apparently not affiliated with AQAP, succeeded in chasing the government out. There were a couple hundred Special Operations troops there, and I've seen a report elsewhere that they've also been withdrawn. This is a nearly perfect example of how American war fighting in the Middle East works.

Edited by Acharn