What To Use To Convert A Dvd To File

JackFrost

What i want to do is in one step convert a dvd into ONE mpg file that I can store on my pc.

I currently use DVD Shrink to copy my dvd's. i have tried various things in the past (over ayear ago) and it took many HOURS to do - hardly worth the effort. is there anything new that will do what I want?

jack

Note that your DVD player may not be able to provide you with a recordable stream. This is implemented at the level of the hardware and software may not be able to work around it. As silly as it sounds, even though you've got the DVD right there in your hand, it may just be easier to download it off the Internet.

That's a list of FREE software that usually does one task very well. They are also failry small, and some programs do not need any installation - just save and run.

If you simply want to extract video from DVD disks, try any of their "Ripping tools", like DVD decrypter. You will find your DVD Shrink and some other programs under "VOB tools", too.

If you want to save video in mpeg1 or mpeg2 formats (to make them smaller) - try decoders. I personally use DVDx. You can keep them and watch them on your computer, but if you want to reassemble these mpeg files back into a dvd, you'll need some "authoring" software.

The easy way to use that website is to download something, and then if you get stuck or want to do something else, go back again and download any additional software.

You might want to keep subtitles, or different audio tracks, or selected chapters only. Each disk, and each task are somewhat different and will require different tools.

It's a bit geeky at first, but most programs are pretty straight forward and do need any big help files.

You can use dvdFab.Just do a google on it.Very easy program to use.You can also choose which subtitle,language and audio format you want to keep.If you need the serial just go here www.serialz.to

Edited by basjke

Yes, use the guides. You should know what you want to do first, of course, then choose a guide, then download software.

If you just want to keep DVDs as they are, why don't you simply copy Video_TS folders on your hard drive? If you get into problems, go to the site and look for the reasons and solutions.

If you want to save space you'll have to sacrifice something - audio streams or video quality. That means some fiddling with software (ripping tools), or encoding in better formats - mpeg4 or dvx. That means yet more fiddling.

Thanks for those who responded - I like being a geek but fiddling around with x products just to do something simple is a pain in the a*rse.

I found what I wanted at glarysoft.com - one click solution

jack

That goes for me as well. Bi thanks all. Thats my weekend sorted out, plenty there to keep me busy for hours. Cheers Dunc :o

What is DVD Shrink?

DVD Shrink is software to backup DVD discs. You can use this software in conjunction with DVD burning software of your choice, to make a backup copy of any DVD video disc.

DVD Shrink will also burn your backup DVD, if you have installed the latest version of Nero. You can download a demo version of Nero here. If you already possess alternative burning software and prefer to stick with it, then you can still use DVD Shrink. The output from DVD Shrink can be saved as files on your hard drive, or as an ISO disc image on your hard drive, which you can then burn with software of your choice.

DVD Shrink is free software. You should never pay for DVD Shrink. Please refer to the License Agreement.

Why use DVD Shrink?

Most DVDs are designed to prevent you from making copies.

The first preventative measure is encryption. Commercial DVD titles are often encrypted, which prevents you from either copying them to your hard drive, or if you manage to do so, being able to play the resulting files. DVD Shrink overcomes this problem with built-in decryption algorithms, which means you can use DVD Shrink to backup a DVD directly, without requiring any other software.

The next problem is not so easy. Most DVD video titles are simply too large to fit, without modification, onto a single recordable DVD-R disk. DVD Shrink overcomes this problem by compressing or "shrinking" the data from your original DVD. The latest DVD Shrink 3.2 contains state-of-the-art compression algorithms, rivalling those found in the best commercial softwares.

DVD Shrink also allows you to re-author your DVD. You can make your own compilation from one or more source DVDs, or select only the parts of a DVD which you intend to view, thus preserving more space on your backup for the highest quality viewing.

Last but not least, why use DVD Shrink? Because DVD Shrink is free!

| Program Name: | DVD Decrypter |

|==================================|

| Author: | LIGHTNING UK! |

|==================================|

Supported Command Line Switches:

(You can get a basic version of this list via 'DVDDecrypter.exe /?')

/MODE <IFO | FILE | ISOREAD | ISOWRITE>

Used to tell the program which 'Mode' to open up in.

/SRC <Drive Letter | SCSI Address> | "<File Name>"

Used to select the source drive or filename.

Drive Letter or SCSI Address applies to IFO, FILE and ISOREAD modes.

File Name applies to ISOWRITE mode.

Examples: /SRC J:

/SRC 1:0:0

/SRC "C:\DVDIMAGE.ISO"

/DEST "<Folder | File Name>" | <Drive Letter | SCSI Address>

Used to select the destination folder, filename or drive.

Folder applies to IFO and File modes.

File Name applies to ISOREAD mode.

Drive Letter or SCSI Address applies to ISOWRITE mode.

Examples: /DEST "C:\DVD 1\VIDEO_TS\"

/DEST "C:\DVDIMAGE.ISO"

/DEST J:

/DEST 1:0:0

You can use [DISC_LABEL] within the path to have the program insert the disc's volume label.

Examples: /DEST "C:\[DISC_LABEL]\VIDEO_TS\"

/DEST "C:\[DISC_LABEL].ISO"

/VTS <VTS Number>

Used to tell the program which VTS should be selected by default.

Applies to IFO mode only

Required when /PGC is specified

Example: /VTS 1

/PGC <PGC Number>

Used to tell the program which PGC should be selected by default.

Applies to IFO mode only

Required when /VTS is specified

Example: /PGC 1

/ANGLE <Angle Number>

Used to tell the program which PGC should be selected by default.

Applies to IFO mode only

Example: /ANGLE 1

/DIRECT <Stream Number> <...>

Used to tell the program which streams should be processed using the 'Direct Stream Copy' method.

Applies to IFO and File modes.

'*' and '?' wildcards can be used.

Examples: /DIRECT 0x80 0xE0

/DIRECT 0x8? 0x?0

/DIRECT *

/DEMUX <Stream Number> <...>

Used to tell the program which streams should be processed using the 'Demux' method.

Examples: /DEMUX 0x80 0xE0

/DEMUX 0x8? 0x?0

/DEMUX *

/RAW <Stream Number> <...>

Used to tell the program which streams should be processed using the 'Raw' method.

Examples: /RAW 0x80 0xE0

/RAW 0x8? 0x?0

/RAW *

/START

Used to start the decryption process automatically when the program has finished initialising.

Basically, it just presses the 'Decrypt' / 'Write' button for you!

/CLOSE

Used to close the program when the decryption process has finished.

Basically, it just presses the 'Close' button for you!

/VERIFY <YES | NO>

Used to make the program verify a disc is readable after it has been written in ISO Write mode.

Basically, it just checks (or unchecks!) the 'Verify after write' box for you!

/SHUTDOWN

Used to shutdown the computer when the program has finished burning in ISO Write mode.

Basically, it just checks the 'Shutdown computer when done' box for you!

/OVERWRITE <YES | NO>

Used to force the program to either overwrite all existing files, or never overwrite them.

/ERASE

Used to automatically erase / format / overwrite media in ISO Write mode.

/SPEED <Write Speed>

Used to change the value of the 'Write Speed' drop down list.

The parameter must match the value within the drop down list exactly.

Examples: /SPEED MAX

/SPEED 1x

/SPEED 2.4x (or 2,4x depending on regional settings)

/SPLIT <NONE | AUTO | CELLID | VOBID | CHAPTER | FILE | LAYER | 1GB>

Used to tell the program when to split the programs output.

Only applies to IFO and FILE modes.

IFO mode supports the following options:

NONE, AUTO, CELLID, VOBID, CHAPTER, LAYER, 1GB.

FILE mode supports the following options:

NONE, AUTO, CELLID, VOBID, FILE.

/NAMING <PGC> <ANGLE> (Append PGC and/or ANGLE information to file names)

Used to tell the program to append PGC and/or ANGLE information to the file names when saving.

Only applies to IFO mode.

/FILES <MOVIE> <ALL> "<File Name>" "<...>"

Used to tell the program which file to select / deselect.

Only applies to FILE mode.

The '*' wildcard is supported. (ie. VTS*.VOB, VTS_01*.VOB, VTS_01_1.*, *.VOB)

Note: Only 1 can be used per file name. (ie. VTS*.* WILL NOT WORK!!)

Putting a '-' before a file name means it will be deselected instead of selected.

Examples: /FILES MOVIE

/FILES MOVIE VIDEO_TS.*

/FILES VTS_01*

/FILES VTS* -*0.VOB

/FILES ALL -*.BUP -*0.VOB

/FILES MOVIE "VIDEO_TS.IFO" "VIDEO_TS.VOB"

/FILES ALL "-VIDEO_TS.VOB"

THE END

If you just want to keep DVDs as they are, why don't you simply copy Video_TS folders on your hard drive? If you get into problems, go to the site and look for the reasons and solutions.

I've tried this, but you're left with a folder full of fragmented video files. How do you get the movie to play again?

I've tried this, but you're left with a folder full of fragmented video files. How do you get the movie to play again?

Get a copy of VLC ( http://www.videolan.org) and open like shown below. Some other multi-media players have similar options such as Cyberlink PowerDVD.

post-566-1157353512_thumb.jpg

Edited by tywais