Thai police nationwide instructed to monitor fire situation during summer

webfact

Police nationwide instructed to monitor fire situation during summer

BANGKOK, 23 March 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Interior has warned people across Thailand of greater fire hazards during the summer months.

Interior Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan has instructed the Metropolitan Police Bureau, Provincial Police Regions 1-9, Southern Border Provinces Police Operation Center and other related agencies to remind the public to be cautious when engaging in burning or fire-prone activities.

The Interior Minister said that fires, particularly from burning weeds, could spread to adjacent homes and buildings. He added that fire drills should be carried out, so residents and rescue units can mount a quick and effective response.

Bangkok residents are encouraged to call the 199 hotline or message the official LINE account ‘praram 199’ during a fire emergency. They can also seek police assistance by dialing the 24-hour number 191.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-23 footer_n.gif

Conversation overheard between two local police in Chiang Mai province.

“You know, Charlie, we are supposed to be monitoring the local fires now.”

“Yeah, I know Prayot; what next.”

“It’s not so bad, I have an idea Charlie; why don’t you go down to Nat’s restaurant and get some take-out lunch.”

“OK, what’s up?”

“I’ll go to the 7/11 and grab some beers.”

“Sounds good, but what do you have in mind?”

“We can go out to Khun Pantips farm today and watch them burn 50 rai…should be a blast.”

“Fantastic, I’ll go get the food now Prayot.”

“Yeah, I always enjoy a good picnic.”

'monitoring the situation'

Mate of mine took a transfer to be a sole-charge rural cop. Each day he had to fill in a day-book with a record of what he'd done, which presented something of a challenge as 'cruising around in the 4x4 having cups of tea with the locals' probably wouldn't cut it with HQ. I suggested he write 'busy monitoring the situation', which of course was what he was doing...and he did. I guess the difference there was that when the button was pressed he was there, on his own, and up to his elbows dealing with whatever was going down.

When thousands of residents are visiting hospitals because of smog related complaints I reckon the time for monitoring has passed...

In a country without common sense the police need to be instructed to monitor a potential dangerous situation!!

clap2.gif I suppose at least it's a step up from the BIB being ' urged ' to do their job but not that much of a step.