how to train once a month.....

h90

Seriously try Sufferfest, nice training videos with a great sound track, they also have an Android app, so you can try a monthly subscription instead of purchasing videos outright. They'll make you laugh and cry in equal measure ;-)

For some reason can't post you tube links, but search there for TheSufferfest and you can get an idea of what they are about.

Edited by moonoi

Seriously try Sufferfest, nice training videos with a great sound track, they also have an Android app, so you can try a monthly subscription instead of purchasing videos outright. They'll make you laugh and cry in equal measure ;-)

For some reason can't post you tube links, but search there for TheSufferfest and you can get an idea of what they are about.

will search them.....

For the trainer, suggest getting yourself some training videos from Sufferfest www.thesufferfest.com and if you want to take it the next level, also get a subscription from TrainerRoad www.trainerroad.com and a usb ANT+ stick so you can capture your heart rate, cadence etc. on the computer. You then have a nice suffercave, which will be not so boring for those times on the trainer.

I also work in Bangkok, and don't have much time, manage to get 2-3 hours a week riding in, mostly at the weekend, on the road.

I have the stone age version of it. I have the cadence and watt. But no heart rate, no nice visual, just an old LCD display. I don't want to upgrade until I know I really do it frequently.

But I think heart frequency for the smartphone might be not expensive and might help to monitor how hard I really train. + distract me from looking the watch.

Good idea.

Depends what smartphone you have, you need to ensure it supports either Bluetooth LE or ANT+

Most smartphones from the last year or so will have Bluetooth LE (also know as smart Bluetooth), ANT+ is much more of a rarity. I use a Mio Link Optical HRM, which supports both standards.

aaahhhh

I didn't know that....I am a bit of a dinosaur on these smartphone gimmicks. I have the old Note 2 from my wife, so I guess it won't have both.

I'll google a bit......When I was young I was always amused about that old farts who have the latest expensive gear, but no power at all. Now I am one of them myself facepalm.gif

Either having time and no money or having money and no time.....

Try this

post-203179-0-63907800-1427344993_thumb.

• Like 1

I have the stone age version of it. I have the cadence and watt. But no heart rate, no nice visual, just an old LCD display. I don't want to upgrade until I know I really do it frequently.

But I think heart frequency for the smartphone might be not expensive and might help to monitor how hard I really train. + distract me from looking the watch.

Good idea.

Depends what smartphone you have, you need to ensure it supports either Bluetooth LE or ANT+

Most smartphones from the last year or so will have Bluetooth LE (also know as smart Bluetooth), ANT+ is much more of a rarity. I use a Mio Link Optical HRM, which supports both standards.

aaahhhh

I didn't know that....I am a bit of a dinosaur on these smartphone gimmicks. I have the old Note 2 from my wife, so I guess it won't have both.

I'll google a bit......When I was young I was always amused about that old farts who have the latest expensive gear, but no power at all. Now I am one of them myself facepalm.gif

Either having time and no money or having money and no time.....

Try this

attachicon.gifbear v biker.jpg

I tried this already, but with Soi dogs (including 2 German Shepards (or at least half German Shepards)), but they give up at relative low speed......I think they only want you leave their area, but don't see you as food source.....

The soi dogs are for beginner the bears for advanced biker tongue.png

• Like 1

I'm just back from my Wattbike session. I think intervals are so much easier just because you're in too much distress for too short a period of time to get bored. I'm 50, so 47kph for a minute and a one minute recovery for ten efforts is the best I can manage. Five weeks away in Thailand last Summer left me stuffed until Christmas, when I was nearly back to normal. Tonight I managed 1:03 recoveries and 57 second efforts, so I'm getting there (a bit).

You'd think running steps, or fast step ups on a chair, would allow you to maintain cycling fitness, but I couldn't make it work. Indoor bike and horrible intervals is the way forward. I can't be arsed waiting 25 minutes to get hot and sweaty and to then start suffering, so I think structured workouts for twenty minutes do the business. My best effort was 3:55 for 3k, and once I knew that I could do i) 45 secs at 45k, fifteen second recovery, for twenty minutes, ii) 46k for 90 seconds, ninety seconds recovery, for twenty minutes iii) 1:20 at 45k, forty second recovery, and so on. All too hard to be boring.

The other big advantage of intervals is that you can reduce total heat build up with a shorter work out if you're struggling to lose the heat. Half a dozen near-Tabata efforts and the job's a good 'un.

I am a little lost about what you are asking, but that won't stop me. lol

1. 70 minutes on a trainer is dumb. 5 minute warm-up, INTERVALS ONLY for 45 minutes, cool down....done. either 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 or 15-20 minute intervals. rest accordingly. wear HR monitor. go hard, or don't do it....listen to your body.

2. 7-10 days hard, one week off? no. if anything, act like there is a stage race on the weekend. time trial 40k on saturday, hill climbs on sunday......

3. one week rest. no. you can still walk 1 hour. or push-ups, sit-ups, squats at home.....

i'll stop rambling now.......for now......get a 40k time and we can go from there.....i went under an hour at the age of 18 with no water, no real training, and eating taco bell......and at the age of 37 i went faster with the right training.....

1. 70 minutes on a trainer is dumb. 5 minute warm-up, INTERVALS ONLY for 45 minutes, cool down....done. either 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 or 15-20 minute intervals. rest accordingly. wear HR monitor. go hard, or don't do it....listen to your body.

2. 7-10 days hard, one week off? no. if anything, act like there is a stage race on the weekend. time trial 40k on saturday, hill climbs on sunday......

3. one week rest. no. you can still walk 1 hour. or push-ups, sit-ups, squats at home.....

i'll stop rambling now.......for now......get a 40k time and we can go from there.....i went under an hour at the age of 18 with no water, no real training, and eating taco bell......and at the age of 37 i went faster with the right training.....

Under the hour at 18 with no real training?! Jesus. So (say) 300 watts minimum, probably more, just using your legs. Joss Naylor, an absolute legend of an endurance athlete, really only found out how much ability he had when it was too late to make best use of it. I'm almost relieved that I could only ever process 5 litres, for 62 mil per kg. It's great knowing that there wasn't much more I could have done tongue.png

Under the hour at 18 with no real training?! Jesus. So (say) 300 watts minimum, probably more, just using your legs. Joss Naylor, an absolute legend of an endurance athlete, really only found out how much ability he had when it was too late to make best use of it. I'm almost relieved that I could only ever process 5 litres, for 62 mil per kg. It's great knowing that there wasn't much more I could have done tongue.png

I think his advises don't apply for me. If he can do an average of more than 40 km (or is it miles) / hour without training and now faster he is genetically very different to me.

If doing 40 without training he should be able to do 60 km(or is it miles) /hour with proper training and win about everything.

I think his advises don't apply for me. If he can do an average of more than 40 km (or is it miles) / hour without training and now faster he is genetically very different to me.

If doing 40 without training he should be able to do 60 km(or is it miles) /hour with proper training and win about everything.

Not quite! It's a wall of air. 40k, on tri-bars and a really smooth surface, might be less than 300w. 60k will be 600w or more -not even Lance Armstrong could afford that much EPO.