Suspect’s father begs forgiveness for son’s brutality

Thaivisa News

Samut Sakhon: – The father of a 19-year-old suspect has begged for forgiveness from the family of 18-year-old man who was beaten and set on fire due to a lover’s quarrel.

The victim, Kachorn Kitruekchai, was in coma for 84 days before he died of serious burn injuries.

The father of the suspect said he would personally ensure his son’s punishment to the fullest extent of the law.

Based on police report, two suspects, Patchara Thienchusak and Chantararak Lansin, 20, have been charged for assault causing death of Kachorn.

The crime happened in December. Chatararak had an argument leading to the break-up with Kachorn.

She later asked her ex-boyfriend Patchara to attack the victim giving him “a lesson”.

She convinced the victim to travel from his home in Krathumban district to Kanchanaburi’s Sangkhlaburi district in order to sort out their problem.

After the victim arrived at the remote meeting place, she assisted Patchara to beat him senseless before set him on fire. The two left the burning victim at the roadside.

A passer-by alerted the rescue workers and police to put out the fire. The victim was hospitalised for months before his death.

Patchara and Chantararak are being remanded pending the trial.

After his arrest, Patchara told police he got carried away by rage while beating the victim. He said the victim had sexually violated Chantararak and refused to show responsibility.

Chatararak said she wanted her “revenge”.

The victim’s family has been holding the funeral at WatSuwanratanaram, Krathumban district.

Patchara’s father Pairat attended the funeral last night. He said he was sorry for his son’s act of cruelty and that as a father he could empathise with the loss of the victim’s father and mother.

Set the victim on fire! No mercy. Father, you have a monster evil son. End of story.

Yes, he has a monster son and the girl must also be a monster. But the part of this story that breaks my heart if true is this:

A passer-by alerted the rescue workers and police to put out the fire.

Are there no "Good Samaritans" left in the world. What difference might it have made had the passer-by tried to put out the fire. I guess the only positive thing is that he/she apparently didn't stop to make a video.

Maybe the passer-by didn't have a blanket or hose handy.

Could have whipped the old fella I suppose but what do you do if you don't need a piss?

Set the victim on fire! No mercy. Father, you have a monster evil son. End of story.

Yes, he has a monster son and the girl must also be a monster. But the part of this story that breaks my heart if true is this:

Are there no "Good Samaritans" left in the world. What difference might it have made had the passer-by tried to put out the fire. I guess the only positive thing is that he/she apparently didn't stop to make a video.

Actually they did make a video, it went onto liveleak. sad.png Sure somebody can provide the gruesome link.

Actually they did make a video, it went onto liveleak. sad.png Sure somebody can provide the gruesome link.

Please do not do that. Some things cannot be unseen.. I guess in a nation obsessed

with selfies, it would make perfect sense to take a video of someone you just set on fire..

• Like 1

The father of the perpetrator attended the victims funeral!!!!!!....... Only in Thailand.

...and that is wrong, because....?!

He came to apologize for what his son did, which to me seems like manning up for the horrible crime and begging forgiveness.

If it was heartfelt -which I tend to believe- it is a great gesture!

• Like 2

The father of the perpetrator attended the victims funeral!!!!!!....... Only in Thailand.

He came to apologize for what his son did, which to me seems like manning up for the horrible crime and begging forgiveness.

Maybe the son should have been the one that begged forgiveness and said "punish me to the fullest extent of the law." I understand why the father did it. He's shamed by his son for the rest of his life.

• Like 2

Please do not do that. Some things cannot be unseen.. I guess in a nation obsessed

with selfies, it would make perfect sense to take a video of someone you just set on fire..

These kinds of ghoulish videos are extremely popular here and are avidly shared on facebook etc. Just one example: 4 little kids were run down by a school director in his truck at a school near here last year. Within 2 hours of the accident, video of the young children's pathetic corpses were on the phones of most of the students and teachers at the school.

It is the appropriate thing to do as it shows remorse, regret and shame. It also provides an opportunity for the victim family to heal and to achieve closure. In Thai culture, expressing one's remorse for a wrongful act and asking for forgiveness is an important part of the culture. Even I know that.

Despite our criticisms of Thai "civility", this is remarkably civil and is very similar to the Jewish custom, and shared with post Reformation Christian interpretations, that one must apologize to the victim and to ask for forgiveness. In the west, as Christianity became dominated by the Roman Catholic practices of purchasing dispensations or of "confession", the original Christian practice of taking responsibility was abandoned. The Reformation brought back the concept of personal responsibility for some western cultures.

Many of the problems (both secular and non-secular) in Thailand stem from the fact that it is a very "pre-reformation" society/culture/political environment.

Merit making and donations to the temple = "purchasing dispensations".

And since when did "personal responsibility" catch on in Thailand?

A few thousand "compo" and junior will be on his way.

• Like 1

I don't think the issue is the attempted apology from the father, it is the attendance of the funeral which some find strange. To my mind, those who attend funerals should be those who loved the deceased who wish to say their goodbyes.

One thing is for sure, were it my son's funeral, invitees would not include my son's murderer nor the murderer's family. You must be kidding.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"The father of the suspect said he would personally ensure his son’s punishment to the fullest extent of the law."

Not your job.

Agree. Ultimately that's why we have laws and why it's so important that there is a knowledgeable and duly assigned authority well versed in how and why laws are constructed, and well versed in how to prosecute (where appropriate), and why, for balance, another authority decides guilt and punishment.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

I don't think the issue is the attempted apology from the father, it is the attendance of the funeral which some find strange. To my mind, those who attend funerals should be those who loved the deceased who wish to say their goodbyes.

One thing is for sure, were it my son's funeral, invitees would not include my son's murderer nor the murderer's family. You must be kidding.

No, I must not be kidding!

Where does it say, he was invited?

He showed up, to plead forgiveness (and maybe -as it happens in this weird country- pay some money to the family) and I find this to be some kind of honorable.

I am not Thai and it is not my son, so I can not tell you, how I would feel about something like that.

But the father didn't do anything bad at all.

"The father of the accused son promised to carry out his punishment" In this case I recommend the punishment be fire. Tie him to a stake, and set the straw on fire. The father has the option of dousing out the fire with a bucket

of water nearby. But unknowingly the water is really 2 gallons of gasoline. NO mersey here! An eye for an eye!

Those two sound like the worst type of Bonny and Clyde. Yet, the OP appears to indicate they will not be charged with murder, but with assault leading to death, implying that they really didn't intend real harm, just teach him a lesson.

It may be I cannot spot the difference.

Whilst I have some sympathy with the father, to suggest he can meter out punishment is ludicrous. Yet he must believe this is a reasonable request.

Very very sad for the victims family.

The parent of the perpetrator of a recent well publicised murder in Canberra (Australia) attended the funeral service for the victim.

It is probably more common that you would think.