Train To Penang

:o

Can anyone help me out here I need to go to Penang to renew my visa, whats the cost of the train fares one way and does anyone know of a decent cheap hotel, also are the agents who can proccess your visa reliable, been searching around the websites but can't find much on the fares and as it's been 13 years since I last went there for a visa it's probably a lot different now. I live in the wilds of Issan and travels agents don't seem to like answering e-mails.

I went to Penang a few months ago but decided to go by air as it was a lot less tiring! When I checked the train fare it was about 1400 baht one way from Bangkok. If you book 2-3 weeks in advance on Air Asia you can get a fare by air (approx 1650 Baht including surcharges) but you also have to pay the departure tax of 500 baht.

Taxi to Georgetown about 250 -300 baht.

What do you mean by cheap hotel? What's your budget? Check out this website for rates:

http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/malaysia/penang

I stayed at the Hotel Continental on Penang Road for about 800 baht a night and they have an agent there (Patrick Tan). I've used agents and never had a problem but you can also do it yourself - unless you think you may have problems getting a new visa without their help! Reember they wil lcahrge you for theri servcies. Cost me about 600 baht for the agent to get a double-entry tourist. Their fees depend on type of visa.

You haven't said what type of visa and why you need to go to Penang. Can't you do it in Laos - a lot closer for you!

[

Thanks for the info, I need to get a one year type O multiple entry visa and the nearest place to get one is Penang, Contintal sounds a reasonable price, I've stayed at the Waldorf last time I was there and it was OK but 13 years is a long time so I wasn't sure what state it would be in. Worth checking out the air fare at that price as well.

I went to Penang a few months ago but decided to go by air as it was a lot less tiring! When I checked the train fare it was about 1400 baht one way from Bangkok. If you book 2-3 weeks in advance on Air Asia you can get a fare by air (approx 1650 Baht including surcharges) but you also have to pay the departure tax of 500 baht.

Taxi to Georgetown about 250 -300 baht.

What do you mean by cheap hotel? What's your budget? Check out this website for rates:

http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/malaysia/penang

I stayed at the Hotel Continental on Penang Road for about 800 baht a night and they have an agent there (Patrick Tan). I've used agents and never had a problem but you can also do it yourself - unless you think you may have problems getting a new visa without their help! Reember they wil lcahrge you for theri servcies. Cost me about 600 baht for the agent to get a double-entry tourist. Their fees depend on type of visa.

You haven't said what type of visa and why you need to go to Penang. Can't you do it in Laos - a lot closer for you!

I also need to apply for a non 'O' in Penang (married to Thai) I will fly both ways air Asia, I see the time for processing the non 'O' visa is 2 days, anybody know what is the earliest time for pick up the following day? I ask this as there is a return flight Penang-BKK 17:05, would I make this flight or would I need another night in Penang.

Cheers

if u want to save a bit buy a ticket to padang besar and then at padang besar buy a ticket to butterworth - this will save about 200bt

Seems SRT like to make a bit more for people leaving the country by train.

Also travelling in the top bunk is cheaper.

However they are some very cheap (no bed i think around 100bt) trains to had yai then you can either get a mini bus to lenang for abount 200bt or catch the int express or the lannhkawi express to butterworth.