Don't be looking for Looking because it's been cancelled!

Jingthing

Major bummer.w00t.gif

Two seasons.

No third one.

From where I’m standing, the end of Looking is premature, and disappointing. I was always, or almost always, entertained by the series. And it had some real progressive value, in that it was a show about gay people made by gay people, on the most prestigious television network there is. It dealt with intra-gay dynamics, it showed sex (though of course not as much sex as some would have liked). It also peered outside its insular little world on occasion, looking at class, aging, and death, among other heavy-ish themes. It was a nice little show. It was never perfect, and sometimes watching it made me feel sad—a mixture of annoyance, longing, jealousy, all kinds of things. But I liked it! I liked Looking, and think it earned its place, it did some good.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/03/why-looking-earned-the-third-season-it-isn-t-getting

Sorry to see it end, but a wrap-up movie is planned

Many Looking fans are heartbroken today with news that HBO has canceled the series, which aired two short seasons centering on a group of friends in San Francisco.

The cable network — which is more akin to keep a low-rated show alive that has "buzz," e.g.Girls — was not pleased with the show's low ratings and ended it after 18 episodes; the last of which aired on Sunday. HBO did promise a special to wrap up the storylines of Patrick, Dom, Agustin, Richie, Kevin, and Doris. It's not clear how long the movie will be or when it will air. Russell Tovey, who plays Kevin, the love interest/boss of the show's protagonist (played by Jonathan Groff), indicated on Twitter that executive producer Andrew Haigh would direct the movie. Haigh also directed the critically-acclaimed gay film Weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, many of the great 'gay themed' television series end up too short. Noah's Arc ended with the movie 'Jumping the Broom.' Queer As Folk had a good run that could have run longer IMO, but did get criticism even from the gay community. "Tale of the Cities" was an excellant and well written series by Armistead Maupin. The Front Runner is a wonderful book about a young runner and his coach in a love affair. That was in the works to be made into a movie with Paul Neuman starring but it fizzled due to lack of support.

Wouldn't it be great if some multi-wealthy gay person would invest in a production company to make and produce more of stories such as those?

I am probably kind of biased about Looking.

As an ex-San Franciscan I was pretty amazed at how right they got the feel of gay San Francisco.

A lot of times with t.v. shows set in places you know, there is a lot of groan inspiring content.

When I go home I like going out to see my old friends. What struck me as really accurate is all of the body hair bearishness now in the gay community. Hahah.

I am probably kind of biased about Looking.

As an ex-San Franciscan I was pretty amazed at how right they got the feel of gay San Francisco.

• 2 weeks later...

I enoyed seeing both seasons - and was surprised to find that Delta Airlines had 2 episodes available on their inflight entertainment (I thought this would be too racey). I haven't lived in the U.S. for 8 years but did feel that it was a more realistic portrayal of a segment of the gay community.

• Like 1