15 Days Border Run, will there be any problem?

Hi, I had read about the new rule on border run that for border run by land, you are only allowed for one time, and not allow another back to back 15 days stamp, well that was starting from August last year, and I had read that the immigration had started to loosen up as tourists are decreasing. I need to get the latest information on land border run, back to back, have they loosen up on things and whether anyone has successfully do a few back to back 15 days border run by land, especially to the Cambordia border, Ban Laem?

You can extend your 15 day entry you have now for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

The last reports I have seen is the they only allow one back to back visa exempt entry at border crossings after flying into the country and getting one.

There is a good chance if you tried to do one now you would be denied entry because you have one already.

• Like 1

You can extend your 15 day entry you have now for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

The last reports I have seen is the they only allow one back to back visa exempt entry at border crossings after flying into the country and getting one.

There is a good chance if you tried to do one now you would be denied entry because you have one already.

I am on Ed visa for 1 year, expiring soon, so do you mean I still can get 30 days extention? And how many of this 30 days are allowed? I will need about 90 days extra stay before going home.

And for land border crossing, 1 back to back will be 4 weeks, and can I do another b2b at another border?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am on Ed visa for 1 year, expiring soon, so do you mean I still can get 30 days extention? And how many of this 30 days are allowed? I will need about 90 days extra stay before going home.

And for land border crossing, 1 back to back will be 4 weeks, and can I do another b2b at another border?

From immigration a 7 day extension (1900 Bht ) can be obtained during which time you have to leave the country.

Attempting back to back visa exempt entries is a bad idea!

If you wish to stay in Thailand longer an appropriate visa should be obtained from a nearby Thai Embassy or Consulate

The way you wrote your post it appeared you were already on a 15 day entry.

You cannot get the 30 day extension after being on an ED extension.

You could make one border run to get a 15 day entry (30 days if from a G7 country). Then get a 30 day extension of that entry.

You should go out for tourist visa if you plan on staying longer than those 45 days

Why not be the first to try a "few" back to back "boarder runs" ! smile.png

Immigration is actively discouraging such behaviour.

Why not just obtain a tourist visa?

I would love to try, but isn't it better to check how deep is the pool before you jump? I had read some forum that some officer refused to let a tourist in for another few days in Thailand before flying home, so better check the latest situation first. I do not want to be turned away for my ignorance. It seems they have loosen up the rules already, but I am not sure.

You could make one border run to get a 15 day entry (30 days if from a G7 country). Then get a 30 day extension of that entry.

You should go out for tourist visa if you plan on staying longer than those 45 days

Oh, because I used to ride my bike to the cambordia border every 2 weeks before the new rule.

Ok, now I am clear, do you have any idea whether I can do it 2 times like this? So I would get 90 days?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh, because I used to ride my bike to the cambordia border every 2 weeks before the new rule.

Ok, now I am clear, do you have any idea whether I can do it 2 times like this? So I would get 90 days?

Seems as if you were one of the serial runners who precipitated the "crackdown" ! smile.png

Follow Ubonjoes advice.

Even better go out for a proper visa!

• Like 1

You can do one 15 exempt entry and then an extension. You will more than likely be denied another one unless you left the country for a few days before entering.

Best to go out for a tourist visa.

Ok, thank you for the info, in that case I will just do one border run + ext. to play safe.

Seems as if you were one of the serial runners who precipitated the "crackdown"

I am a consumer like many others that contribute to their economy, but too bad as the new regulations are unable to differentiate the good and the bad. I had seen loads of illegal workers at the border, Philippinos, laotians, vietnamese....... and maybe these are the people they are targeting for..

You can do one 15 exempt entry and then an extension. You will more than likely be denied another one unless you left the country for a few days before entering.

I want to ask if it is feasible to - after I go back to Thailand, with an onward ticker for Lao dated a few weeks ahead, without a Thai visa:

1. Get a 30-day permit in Thailand

2. Fly to Savvannaket in 3 weeks and there get a Tourist visa for Thailand

3. Get an extension at Immi. in Chiang Mai for up to a year?

I have held a one-year O-A retirement before and I have also walked across at Mae Sai/Tachilek and got stamped back in. And then I went to Immi i Chiang Mai and got an extension - but the second time I went there, on the advice of the Immi. clerk, I had the document from the U.S. embassy attesting my income of Bt65,000 a month and they gave me a year extension.

Now I am not sure how this would work now.

Since my fiance and I plan to marry and apply for a K-3 visa to the U.S.A., and since she is from Myanmar, I expect we will fly to Singapore to get married and then have to go to Mandalay and Yangon to make the app for the marriage visa, while living in Thailand.

I expect it to take a year to get this done.

Would it be better - or necessary - to apply for a multipe-entry TR visa (see 2. above).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed quote coding for clarity

I want to ask if it is feasible to - after I go back to Thailand, with an onward ticker for Lao dated a few weeks ahead, without a Thai visa:

1. Get a 30-day permit in Thailand

2. Fly to Savvannaket in 3 weeks and there get a Tourist visa for Thailand

3. Get an extension at Immi. in Chiang Mai for up to a year?

I have held a one-year O-A retirement before and I have also walked across at Mae Sai/Tachilek and got stamped back in. And then I went to Immi i Chiang Mai and got an extension - but the second time I went there, on the advice of the Immi. clerk, I had the document from the U.S. embassy attesting my income of Bt65,000 a month and they gave me a year extension.

Now I am not sure how this would work now.

Since my fiance and I plan to marry and apply for a K-3 visa to the U.S.A., and since she is from Myanmar, I expect we will fly to Singapore to get married and then have to go to Mandalay and Yangon to make the app for the marriage visa, while living in Thailand.

I expect it to take a year to get this done.

Would it be better - or necessary - to apply for a multipe-entry TR visa (see 2. above).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Where are you at now?

1. You could get the 30 day visa exempt entry without a problem unless it is a back to back one.

2. I suggest you go to Vientiane and get single entry non-o visa for being over 50. Just show them the income affidavit from the embassy to prove 65k baht income and attach a copy to your application.

3. You cannot apply for an extension unless you have a non immigrant visa entry. If you do 2 as I wrote you can do the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry form the non-o visa. You could use the income affidavit you used to get the non-o visa.

Once you are married your wife could get a dependent extension based upon your extension of stay. She would first need to get a non-o visa to apply for it.

Actually no problem. I entered Thailand on Nov. 30th 2014, I stayed exactly 30 days, then I left to Laos (visa-free entry for 15 days), went back to Thailand for exactly 15 days, left again to Laos (visa-free entry for 15 days), reentered Thailand and left the country by air after 10 days.

Actually no problem. I entered Thailand on Nov. 30th 2014, I stayed exactly 30 days, then I left to Laos (visa-free entry for 15 days), went back to Thailand for exactly 15 days, left again to Laos (visa-free entry for 15 days), reentered Thailand and left the country by air after 10 days.

That was crossing to Laos and back. The OP was asking about crossing to Cambodia and back where they are more strict on the rules.

You also did not mention if you spent anytime out of the country between your entries.

I am personally on a retirement visa and I concur with UbonJoe, you must get the proper visa to saty her it is common sense, with that in mind however, you can go to bamlaem Cambodia where they do not care how many times you exit and enter. This is not a myth it is fact. This is where all of the Vietnmese workers go every two weeks, it is a business so to speak. here is the link for more info:http://www.thaivisaservice.com

But as stated before, do it the right way and avoid problems and stress!

Came back from a land crossing last month and got 30 day entry. ( depends on where you are from ). After I went to immigration and for 1900 THB they give me an extra 30 day extension.

he was - or is still on a ED visa,

ED means education - seems he not learned in this time nothing,

or he were spendung 24 hrs just for Thai Language -

propably in a pub !

You should look at your English language before attacking others. facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_JFYd

I am personally on a retirement visa and I concur with UbonJoe, you must get the proper visa to saty her it is common sense, with that in mind however, you can go to bamlaem Cambodia where they do not care how many times you exit and enter. This is not a myth it is fact. This is where all of the Vietnmese workers go every two weeks, it is a business so to speak. here is the link for more info:http://www.thaivisaservice.com

But as stated before, do it the right way and avoid problems and stress!

I have read the link you provided and it says 2 times in Capital letters, not as many times as you wish, and what makes you think that? Have you tried? No, because you are on O retirement visa. If you have not tried, and have no knowledge about the current situation, please do not anyhow say as this is not only irresponsible, but you are giving others more problems than solutions by giving the wrong info. I had went to Ban Laem too many times until the officer told me extra 4 entry and no more, that was why I applied for Ed visa. So even before the new rule, there is still a limit. And btw, I think vietnamese, Laotians, Cambordians get 30 days' entry and not 2 weeks.

Edited by Cobrabiker

he was - or is still on a ED visa,

ED means education - seems he not learned in this time nothing,

or he were spendung 24 hrs just for Thai Language -

propably in a pub !

You should look at your English language before attacking others. facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_JFYd

Yap, exactly!

Btw mango, what's wrong with being in a pub or drinking at beer bar everyday? It is not illegal. I go to school, pay my fees, and fulfill the requirements, so anything after school is consider Extracurricular activities, not the concern of the immgration, as long as it is not illegal, you can do this too, so what is the problem???

Edited by Cobrabiker

Found this on the internet:

New Visa Rules – Summary
Posted on March 28, 2015 • 0 Comments

visaredstamp2-300x179.jpgIt’s certainly never been easy for expats and long-stay tourists to obtain a proper visa for Thailand that allows them to stay in the kingdom for longer than just a couple of weeks or months. Since August 2014, this certainly hasn’t become any easier.
Not only were the official requirements for certain types of Non-Immigrant visa tightened in several countries – a number of general changes to the visa rules have also been announced by immigration. While it still remains to be seen how strictly the new regulations will be enforced, here’s a summary of the main changes. More detailed information can be found most conveniently in the dedicated visa section of our website.

• Starting from August 2014, out/in visa runs, e.g., to the Cambodian or Lao border, including out/in “visa runs by air”, are basically a thing of the past. The Nation reported on July 15: “From August 13, people [who have not obtained a visa prior to their visit to Thailand] will not be able to re-enter the country, regardless of their choice of transport”. In other words: If you haven’t obtained a visa prior to your visit to Thailand but wish to stay longer than just for a holiday, then “visa runs” are no longer a viable option to extend your stay in the kingdom, but you’re advised to apply for a tourist visa at your local Thai embassy or consulate in advance. A single-entry tourist visa is good for a 60-day stay in Thailand and can now be extended locally for another 30 days. If you wish to wish to stay in Thailand more or less “permanently”, you should obtain an appropriate (Non-immigrant) visa prior to entering the country.
  • In summer 2014, it was reported that tourists and expats who overstay their visa for more than 90 days might get blacklisted in the future, i.e. banned from returning to Thailand for 1-10 years. Until now, tourists who overstayed their visa were usually simply fined 500 Baht per day up to a maximum fine of 20,000 Baht; only when an “overstayer” was caught within the kingdom, he/she faced arrest and deportation; overstayers were not blacklisted.
    According to the new proposed rules, foreigners who overstay their visa for 90+ days would automatically get blacklisted for a period of 1-10 years, depending on the length of their overstay. The new rules were reported to take effect late August 2014, however, have not been approved as yet, and the whole hurly-burly might have been false alarm only.
  • New stricter requirements for ED visa extensions have gone into effect on August 29, 2014. Until then, the same ED visa could be used to study the same subject, e.g. Thai language, for up to five years; the student did not have to leave Thailand but could simply extend his visa at the local immigration office every 90 days. Under the new rules, an ED visa is valid for a maximum of one year only, provided that the student studies the required amount of hours per week (otherwise an extension may be rejected and the visa cancelled). After one year you will have to leave the country and apply for a new ED visa.
    In addition, Thai language students will now also have to attend classes 4 days a week, for two hours per class, in order to extend an ED visa, effectively doubling the hours of study. If students don’t study the required amount of hours per week, their visa will not be extended. Also, when extending their visa for 90 days, ED visa holders will initially be given only a 15-day extension, during which time immigration officials may check whether students regularly attend classes or not. At the end of this “evaluation period” they must go back to Immigration and will be granted another 75-day extension. This post and this thread at ThaiVisa.com discuss the new rule in more detail.
  • It remains uncertain whether the crackdown on out/in visa runners also targets foreign visitors holding valid tourist visas. AsianCorrespondent.com reported in July 2014: “Even those on valid tourist visas may be denied entry if immigration officials suspect feel they are spending too long in the country or working illegally.” Ajarn.com even anticipated that “from [August 12th], apparently no one will be allowed to use back-to-back 60-day tourist visas to enter Thailand.” This interpretation was obviously exaggerated.
    As an immigration official in Chiang Mai confirmed on August 20, 2014, “there is no limit to the number of tourist visas you can apply for, nor is there a minimum time limit between each one.” He also confirmed that a multiple-entry tourist visa will “allow you to exit and enter Thailand however many times you have been granted.” In any case, tourist visa applicants should always be prepared to prove they are in fact tourists and, if required, be able to produce a confirmed airline ticket, hotel booking etc. Some Thai consulates may also be more lenient than others; for example, it’s currently the easiest to obtain a double-entry tourist visa at the consulates in Vientiane or Savannakhet in Laos.
  • Last but not least, there are also some good news. Reportedly effective from August 29, 2014, tourists can now extend their 30-day visa-exempt stay in Thailand by a further 30 days, not just seven days as previously. All you need to do is visit your local immigration office after your first 30 days have expired and apply for a 30-day extension at a fee of 1,900 Baht; effectively giving you 60 days of stay without having to apply for a visa. Just expect that you’ll be asked to produce a confirmed air ticket out of the country within the 30 days of extension, hotel booking confirmation, and possibly proof of sufficient funds. If you cannot produce an air ticket out of Thailand within 30 days, you will most likely be given only a 7-day extension as previously and have to leave the country within a week.

More new regulations here: http://pattaya-funtown.com/category/visa-immigration/

Last but not least, there are also some good news. Reportedly effective from August 29, 2014, tourists can now extend their 30-day visa-exempt stay in Thailand by a further 30 days, not just seven days as previously

This part is interesting, does it mean for anyone flying in with a 30 day visa exempt entry, he or she can now go to extend another 30 days on or before the last day for 1900 baht, together with a confirmed air ticket out of the country? Has anyone tried this?

Edited by Cobrabiker

Last but not least, there are also some good news. Reportedly effective from August 29, 2014, tourists can now extend their 30-day visa-exempt stay in Thailand by a further 30 days, not just seven days as previously

This part is interesting, does it mean for anyone flying in with a 30 day visa exempt entry, he or she can now go to extend another 30 days on or before the last day for 1900 baht? Has anyone tried this?

Yes ! It is true and many have done this !

This part is interesting, does it mean for anyone flying in with a 30 day visa exempt entry, he or she can now go to extend another 30 days on or before the last day for 1900 baht? Has anyone tried this?

Yes ! It is true and many have done this !

Great, what about "a confirmed air ticket out of the country", do they ask for it? And what about the Pattaya immigration office also?

Great, what about "a confirmed air ticket out of the country", do they ask for it? And what about the Pattaya immigration office also?

They don't ask.

Thanks, and is it possible to do a border run follow by another 30 days extension when the first 30 days extension is up?

Seems as if you were one of the serial runners who precipitated the "crackdown"

I am a consumer like many others that contribute to their economy, but too bad as the new regulations are unable to differentiate the good and the bad. I had seen loads of illegal workers at the border, Philippinos, laotians, vietnamese....... and maybe these are the people they are targeting for..

The Laotians should be legal since they can get access to a labour work permit and LA visa - still, I wonder why they are doing border runs? Some Vietnamese are now eligible for this too. Never seen any Filipinos at the Cambodian border except the odd tourist. In any case they would be illegal if they are working in Thailand without the same kind of work permit the rest of us require.

They don't ask.

Thanks, and is it possible to do a border run follow by another 30 days extension when the first 30 days extension is up?

At some crossings they count the extension as doing an entry.

You should just forget about being able to do border runs like you did before and go out for a tourist visa.