An expert predicts Bangkok will be partly submerged in the next 30 years

webfact

Thailand is at a far greater risk of rising seas than their experts are willing to state, it is currently being viewed as gradual, but it is more than likely going to be sudden, and soon.

And why would it be sudden? Please explain?

do you know how much the dutch live below the sea level in your measurement unit? they can live so can Bangkok people as an intelligent creature. just copy them.

Do you think the Thai can build this?

The sea barriers were already set to go ahead but stopped because of the 2006 coup. But yes, the Dutch would supply the technology.

do you know how much the dutch live below the sea level in your measurement unit? they can live so can Bangkok people as an intelligent creature. just copy them.

I believe it's 5 meters below sea level Amsterdam is, other parts of the country can't be sure, but do you honestly think the Thais will take advice from another nation in the same position?

Interesting report on the BBC on this right now!

I believe it's 5 meters below sea level Amsterdam is, other parts of the country can't be sure, but do you honestly think the Thais will take advice from another nation in the same position?

The only Western ideas they will copy are movies they can sell on DVD for 100 baht each.

Carpe diem, cras oblitus. (Seize today, forget tomorrow).

The Dutch worked their way around it. Anyone in authority in Thailand, who is a progressive pro-active person/s who could learn from the Dutch? whistling.gif

Or will the Bangkok "governor" (I use the word governor lightly) just keep monitoring the water levels until he finally drowns in his own inaction? coffee1.gif

Bangkok is sinking under the weight of its full name.

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.

• Like 2

So how do you account for all the creatures in Australia? for none were in Europe during the great flood. Noah didn't have every creature in that alleged boat!......Just another fairy tail!

"And God said to Noah, 'I have determined to make an end of all flesh; for BKK is filled with violence through them; behold, I will destroy them with BKK. Make yourself an ark of gopher wood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above; and set the door of the ark in its side; make it with lower, second, and third decks.

"For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon BKK, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life from under heaven; everything that is in BKK shall die. But I will establish my covenant with you; and you shall come into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and your sons' wives with you.

"And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female. Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you, to keep them alive. Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, and store it up; and it shall serve as food for you and for them.

"And God said to Noah, 'I have determined to make an end of all flesh; for BKK is filled with violence through them; behold, I will destroy them with BKK. Make yourself an ark of gopher wood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above; and set the door of the ark in its side; make it with lower, second, and third decks.

"For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon BKK, to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life from under heaven; everything that is in BKK shall die. But I will establish my covenant with you; and you shall come into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and your sons' wives with you.

"And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they shall be male and female. Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you, to keep them alive. Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, and store it up; and it shall serve as food for you and for them.

but no plastic bags laugh.png

Costas2008, you are partially right, but the damn jet ski's and parasailing ski boat war lords will rule the waters of sunken Bangkok. The floating market will be happy. As for food on the ark, they can't take durians or gan som.

Thai airways will invest in 200 new large capacity water planes, only to find that there is nobody wanting to go there.

The condos will make luxurious new reef homes for the new fish stocks to breed and live.

Tuk Tuks will float and will charge people nothing to use them, as there will be inhabitants, as the jet ski boys will just use there own floating stinky craft.

They will remain in denial until the last Rat leaves the sinking City !

The rats will adapt, no problem. They'll probably thrive. They'll have enough garbage to sift through for generations.

Seriously though: Bkk suffers serious floods every 5 years. Last time was 2011, so next deluge will probably be 2016, so Bandkokians have 17 months to get ready. Silver lining: you can rename the City, 'Muddy Waters' and get blues fans from around the world to visit.

btw: when you wall water out, you also wall water in. And building a 15 meter high berm around Bkk won't be enough. Walls will have to be built all along the Chao Praya and its tributaries - such walls have already been started, but they'll have to be a lot higher and stronger.

And selling condos at 12 million baht in Bkk! Or trying to!

Agreed. Bkk has the most expensive real estate in Thailand. Pattaya and Phuket are close behind. What is it about our species and their large crafty brains? The worse the environment, the more valuable the property. What's next, strapping bomb belts to girls to kill as many shoppers in a market as possible? Ooops sorry, that's already happening in Nigeria and the dune states.

dunkin2012. In Holland the dykes hold back the waters. In Bangkok the dykes charge money for their services.

• Like 1

"Bangkok people as an intelligent creature." What am I missing here ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Do you think the Thai can build this?

The sea barriers were already set to go ahead but stopped because of the 2006 coup. But yes, the Dutch would supply the technology.

I didn't follow the it very well but last thing i read was that the Japanese were going to help the Thai in fighting the water.

Who advised them about those 8 big pumps that are just installed downtown Bangkok? And what's the Thai plan in general to stop the floodings? I read about a huge dyke along the chaopraya but that was more for cyclist then for fighting floodings. It seems the Thai are more interested in fast chinese trains now.