Place to sell jewelry?

davevi

Can anyone recommend a place in CM that buys jewelry for cash?

I want to sell a gold ring with diamonds that I do not want.

I want a fair price and I have no idea where I can go to sell it.

I see gold shops many places in the city but 1) I am not sure if they offer a service where they would buy a ring from an individual for cash, 2) which shop is recommended.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Gold shops will buy old gold jewellery, but they pay a very low price based on the gram weight of the gold. You should go into a shop with some knowledge beforehand like knowing the weight of the piece, and what karat gold it is. Then you can figure out what percentage of pure gold it is (i.e. 14 kt, 18 kt. ) as 14 kt gold is 62 percent gold and the balance an alloy. Divide the kt. gold per gram by the going daily price for gold (currently around US$ 1200, and that is the price for pure gold). You will be very lucky if you get fifty percent of the value. Unless the stones are of any significant size and value, you will get next to nothing for them.

Gold shops will buy old gold jewellery, but they pay a very low price based on the gram weight of the gold. You should go into a shop with some knowledge beforehand like knowing the weight of the piece, and what karat gold it is. Then you can figure out what percentage of pure gold it is (i.e. 14 kt, 18 kt. ) as 14 kt gold is 62 percent gold and the balance an alloy. Divide the kt. gold per gram by the going daily price for gold (currently around US$ 1200, and that is the price for pure gold). You will be very lucky if you get fifty percent of the value. Unless the stones are of any significant size and value, you will get next to nothing for them.

This advice is right on the money so to speak. The stone would have to be at least over half a carat with good quality cut and clarity to be worth much. Most gold shops do not hesitate to buy pure Thai gold. You might be best off to go to a reputable dealer and get an appraisal for a base price and description of the ring. Less than pure gold is tricky to sell especially here. Jewellery that is less than pure is hard to sell because of personal taste issues i.e. design shape etc. After you get an appraisal you might try Craigslist, Thai visa classified and a couple other sites here. You for sure would need the certificate of appraisal with a purity test. Then you would be lucky to get half the appraised price as after all it is used and people prefer to buy new. Gold jewellery less than 24K is like a new car. It looks great in the showroom but drive it off the lot and the deprecation starts. Gold jewellery less than 24K has a high markup.

There is a Pawnshop, I understand it is Government Run, near the Fire Station opposite the Moat at Chiang Mai Gate.

Don't know how good or devious they might be, in particular when dealing with a Farang.

Best of luck.

Edited by Torrens54

Firstly, having jewellery accurately valued in Thailand is almost impossible, unlike in the west where jewellers have special departments for valuations mostly for insurance purposes.

Try to sell at jewellers in Thailand and they will 99.99% times tell you the item is of poor quality and almost worthless and offer knock down prices.

My advice is, if possible, send the ring to family or trusted friends in your home country and have it properly valued. Once acquired then try to sell on Ebay. Otherwise (unless anyone knows better?) I cannot think of any jewellery stores in Thailand I would trust to give you an honest valuation or a reasonable price for your ring.

• Like 2