Your thoughts and ideas.

ThaiVisa just isn’t a great vehicle for sharing photos, in my opinion. The whole site is geared toward the written word with perhaps a photo or two for illustration purposes.

I think it might be a mistake to measure the success of this forum by the number of members or photos posted. Given the limitations presented by being part of ThaiVisa I think you have done a remarkable job of promoting this sub-forum.
You can’t really change the format for presenting photos to make it more pleasing to the eye and you can’t really change the minds of those who possess a negative opinion of ThaiVisa as a whole. In my opinion, all you can do is lead by example and hope others will follow.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole idea and thinking behind this forum many years ago and I should know, as a founding member of

1. Photography and the Arts Fourm

was for our members to post their own photos "Thailand as they have seen it or are seeing Thailand" since in those days, a lot of talk and no show, just places on the map, hence this forum as formed thanks to the powers that be in them days.

As the saying goes "a change is as good as a rest" No, it is not in this case so "let sleeping dogs lie" as the saying goes.

New input is always most welcomed like addition challenges limited to two weeks, photos have to be taken within the last three months, on a simple subject and the winner with the most "likes" chooses the next challenge subject, like I used to run years ago on this forum.

Keep things as they are, that is my thinking, there are quite a lot of members from all over the world looking at our photos and not only members that posts them.

Win thumbsup.gif

Just a bump here...

Thank you everyone for input, either here or by PM....

It's tough to know what to do, I can't see changing a lot..... but I think what is necessary is and the biggest problem is perhaps overdoing some threads, and posting not so good images... (seems to be what several say on the PM's.... )

I'll give it a few more days for input either here or PM... I know some parts of Thailand, the Songkran party never stops, (safe here on Samui, where we had our usual half day! )

It's all primarily about "Daily life in Thailand and what we see" ... perhaps our submissions need to be a little more challenging? Perhaps too, we need people to post where the images posted are taken... that can be very useful and only takes a few seconds to do!

I've no intention of closing any threads.... but think perhaps members should look at some of the other threads and use those as a "challenge" to provide new material to those threads (???) .... (one day I may count how many threads we have.... facepalm.gif)

Kan Wins ideas are great as are everyone else's thumbsup.gif ... perhaps at the beginning of May, we'll start a challenge of themes... Maybe, weekly, bi weekly or monthly, give some input as to what you think....?

In the meantime keep shooting! New members always welcome too!

Jim wai2.gif

Jeezo, did I really write all that??? Usually my rants die out sooner....maybe as much as 2 or 3 lines sooner... tongue.png

Anyway, I just want to add my congratulations to SJ on his elevation, and wish you all the best in leading the forum forward from the sound base that Shaggy left. I'm still struggling to find the enthusiasm to post again - and that is more a reflection on me than on the forum, but the points I made are still valid, IMO.

I'd add my support to FR's suggestion of the personal threads - it's a novel way of looking at a problem and providing a working solution: it is worthy of some serious consideration, and for me, it answers quite a bit of the criticism I made of the forum's content. Good idea! A gold star to you. wink.png

Thanks again everyone...

And yes you did Rob8891

I thought earlier this morning just about everyone, had "jumped ship" ... now I see several new posts.... thumbsup.gif

I am not sure how many members are having page hanging problems. I am and it's driving me nuts! Even hitting a Like, some times not working as it should...facepalm.gif

OK then why don't we see where having a thread of your own

" Your Name ... Daily life in Thailand and what I see" a go... each member can start his or her own thread... Please, please, if it is some image that needs a name or place add that... wink.png (just hit the "start new topic" on right side of the top of the page... )

Please do not post images on someone elses thread... (this could become a "nightmare" we'll see.... )

ASX has his own already, but he's not posted much! Must be to hot to get out on his bike!! tongue.png laugh.png

Several people on PM's have suggested closing some of the threads.... but leaving them open to view... I know some are way over done... and I think don't draw much new interest of many of the members.... image quality is another concern, but we must bare with some who don't have good cameras, and perhaps are learning, so let's try and be patient ....

I may try locking a few , and see how many people scream.... maybe today maybe next week! tongue.png (if locked they can be opened again!)

Anymore comments or thoughts are welcome!

Jim

Thanks again everyone...

And yes you did Rob8891

I thought earlier this morning just about everyone, had "jumped ship" ... now I see several new posts.... thumbsup.gif

I am not sure how many members are having page hanging problems. I am and it's driving me nuts! Even hitting a Like, some times not working as it should...facepalm.gif

OK then why don't we see where having a thread of your own

" Your Name ... Daily life in Thailand and what I see" a go... each member can start his or her own thread... Please, please, if it is some image that needs a name or place add that... wink.png (just hit the "start new topic" on right side of the top of the page... )

Please do not post images on someone elses thread... (this could become a "nightmare" we'll see.... )

ASX has his own already, but he's not posted much! Must be to hot to get out on his bike!! tongue.png laugh.png

Several people on PM's have suggested closing some of the threads.... but leaving them open to view... I know some are way over done... and I think don't draw much new interest of many of the members.... image quality is another concern, but we must bare with some who don't have good cameras, and perhaps are learning, so let's try and be patient ....

I may try locking a few , and see how many people scream.... maybe today maybe next week! tongue.png (if locked they can be opened again!)

Anymore comments or thoughts are welcome!

Jim

About that " ASX has his own already " ; can you change the title and make another one ; the same as u did for u, please ...! and thank you Jimmy wai.gif

ATX's Daily life in Thailand and what I saw

I was cycling today ; hot, hot, and hot ; I came back house at about 1 pm;

Why? did you fall off your bike and break your arms! tongue.pngcheesy.gif

I can do that for you... only thing it will show my name as the starter of the thread...

The thing I hate about new threads is it get published in the daily new topics, and we get the "wing dings" coming in and making silly comments...

I hid one already.... but that should only last a day or so with each person who makes a new thread.

Now try copying this to start new topic, then it will have your name as the start of the topic... me thinks that might be better! thumbsup.gif

Assurancetourix .... Daily life in Thailand and what I saw

Good one, SJ. clap2.gif

That should - should - stop at least some of the inane drivel and irrelevant posts I mentioned in my rant. I'm not really a grumpy old man - well, I'm not that old - but I really enjoy people's different approaches to a topic, which then gets spoiled by some twit who can't be bothered to try to understand what the topic is about.

So, folks, a heart-felt plea from me....can you make sure you stay on topic and don't just slap a photo in any old where without any real thought. Cheers! thumbsup.gif

Well we have four so far today ... on individual threads ... some great images...thumbsup.gif

Please feel free to start your own, if so inclined or just continue doing with the individual threads...

I think I have my internet speed back after calling 3BB this morning they reset the modem... but know my like button is not always working! facepalm.gif

Don't forget the Photo competition if you have not entered!

@ Jimmy

" Your Name ... Daily life in Thailand and what I see"

I disagree Jimmy <Your Name> <Create a unique title that suits you>

Well, I'll leave that up to individual members to decide, how they want to name their thread, as they say here "up to you"

My brain is battling between, should be "what I see" or "what I saw".... I am having a seesaw of a problem with this! laugh.pngfacepalm.gif

Are People just not posting the same old images but now on a new thread?

Perhaps some of the images could be same as already posted elsewhere, but hopefully just to get the ball rolling....

Members can do with ever way they feel comfortable doing...thumbsup.gif

Since when is photography about competition, rules, time limits and expiration dates on the beauty of an image? Is a picture taken 10 minutes ago somehow superior to one taken a year ago, even if you haven’t seen it? I post in different places to reach different audiences and I expect others do the same.

Since when is photography about competition, rules, time limits and expiration dates on the beauty of an image? Is a picture taken 10 minutes ago somehow superior to one taken a year ago, even if you haven’t seen it? I post in different places to reach different audiences and I expect others do the same.

yeah have to agree with that, and your photos are certainly worth seeing again,.... thumbsup.gifeven if posted before.... actually everyone has posted some good images, so far!

yeah have to agree with that, and your photos are certainly worth seeing again,.... thumbsup.gifeven if posted before.... actually everyone has posted some good images, so far!

It's exact that villagefarang has already posted some of his photos in different threads ; and I will do the same ;

I think it's a very good idea we can have our own lign so we can show to the members of this forum different provinces in Thailand;

I went many times in Chiang Rai province where VF is living and did photos at the same places as he did : road 1149, border with Myanmar, The White Temple, The Black House ...

These photos I have shot are already or will be in the different threads here but never in VF lign .

About that lign, I have upload two photos in his lign to explain what is a WiMax connexion and as I wrote a moderator can delete these photos .

I am sure many of us cannot remember every single image we've posted in the past.... I can't see it all that important anyway.

Good start to the idea, thanks to those who have made their own threads... I hope others do the same... old or new members, but still no reason to not post in the other threads we have... thumbsup.gif

Last chance for the photo competition in about a week.... so still time to submit!

I seem to have slow internet again this evening, facepalm.gif will give 3 bb a call again in the morning ... third time in last few weeks, and first time ever had problems with them. sad.png

Archived