Survey: Most Thais favour current political situation

Lite Beer

Survey: Most Thais favour current political situation

BANGKOK, 29 March 2015 (NNT) – A recent survey by the National Institute for Development and Administration has found that most of the respondents approve of the current political situation in the country.

The survey conducted, under the theme: The level of democracy in Thailand in the eyes of Thai people, discovered that around 52 percent of the respondents feel unaffected by the present administrative system. Only two percent find that the martial law does have an impact on their lives.

On the subject of political freedom, roughly 31 percent have a positive attitude towards the present political situation, saying that the regime had brought peace and order to the country. Around 11 percent have an opposite view.

When asked to comment on political movements, around 44 percent are of the opinion that any display of political stance should be avoided at the moment for it might spark a conflict again, adding that the government should be allowed to carry on with their duty. Eight percent think otherwise.

Thirty-six percent feel that the arrival of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) had play a key role in the country’s democratic reform, while 39 percent feel no difference. Roughly 22 percent think that the NCPO’s execution of the martial law limits their democratic freedom.

The survey was conducted between March 25 and 26.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-29 footer_n.gif

Although the survey might not represent the whole sentiment in the country,
from what those numbers show to me, is not that most Thais favour the current
political situation but rather they have no opinion at all or don't dear to air their

sentiments.

Ask any Thai what's more important, achieving some kind of democracy or
the price of Som Tam, tobacco, alcohol and lottery tickets. coffee1.gif

Edited by JoeLing
  • Like 1

True.. but do you really think these polls differ that much from the PTP polls ? I don't think so they always showed what the one paying for them wanted.

Just a taste of the PTP her own medicine. I did not believe those polls.. and I don't believe these either.

Though I think most Thais would like this situation a lot more then daily bombings and deaths.

Plus like an other user said.. price of som tam and lottery tickets is far more important.

• Like 2

The theme: The level of democracy as seen through the eyes of Thai people should be enough to explain this poll. Thais have never been taught about democracy properly to know what it is. Case in point! YL claiming her gov was democratic because she was voted for by a threatened, coerced, or paid majority. If and I stress if they were told that democracy meant the son was heir most Thai would not argue with you.

i couldn't think of anything better either. I think the current PM is a good leader. He cares deeply about Thailand and Thai people similar to Franklin Roosevelt of America, chatting on the radio everynight back in the day. The current situation is the best for Thailand. Maintain stability and growth as the same time still have Democracy, freedom. I love true democracy and i know it is here in Thailand. Countries with the sickle and hammer are wasting time eventhough it failed and failed and failed and failed because the people have no rights, and you all know the rest, i don't have to say. I know sickle and hammer will go away but does it have to be any longer. 5 years, 10 more years of unnecessary.

• Like 1

You really would have to be on the distant side of batsxxt deluded to believe these endless polls. Dear Generals, if you are going to manufacture this stuff, at least make the percentages vaguely credible.

Well if you don't trust these results, why don't you go and conduct your own poll?

No, no....of course, how silly of me? the only Poll you'd know anything about would have a Dancer attached to it!

• Like 2

You really would have to be on the distant side of batsxxt deluded to believe these endless polls. Dear Generals, if you are going to manufacture this stuff, at least make the percentages vaguely credible.

Well if you don't trust these results, why don't you go and conduct your own poll?

No, no....of course, how silly of me? the only Poll you'd know anything about would have a Dancer attached to it!

Dancer attached to it...lol... Don't be mean....the "democracy is elections only" negatives need something to cling to.

The results are fine. Fifty one percent of Thais have been unaffected by the coup. Actually, it's a surprise that the number is so low. The issue is that this completely neutral response is spun as 'most

Thais agree with the current political situation'. It says no such thing at all. In fact, the number agreeing is really 31% or whatever (I can't be bothered to page back).

So how does 30 percent suddenly become 'most Thais'?

If you say it enough it come true? May have a few more polls before the end of the month?

The Thai Researchers for Community Happiness mob have been quiet for quite sometime.

Are they planning something special for the public ?

I guess it depends if you place stability and peace over democratic values? Or put it another way: living in the middle of two groups terrorizing each other and anyone in the way gets hurt versus Democratic principles? Personally I would go for the peace and overlook the principles? We all know what is going on and its not ideal...

• Like 2

Thirty-six percent feel that the arrival of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) had play a key role in the country’s democratic reform, while 39 percent feel no difference. Roughly 22 percent think that the NCPO’s execution of the martial law limits their democratic freedom.

How can you call it democratic reform when you have no say or freedom of speech. you can't criticise the current regime (it is not a government). Democratic reform, what a joke ! No worse than a D,ship. we will take away your rights in the name of freedom.

Thirty-six percent feel that the arrival of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) had play a key role in the country’s democratic reform

roughly representative of the votes for the "Democrat" party in 2011. thumbsup.gif

Alternatively, 3 in 4 think that the NCPO has either played a key role in democratic reform or they have noticed no difference.

Just over 1 in 5 think that marshal law limits their democratic freedom.

Hmmm... The headline says most Thais favour the current situation, so I naturally look through the piece for the stat on which this claim is based. With one exception (unless I've missed something), the percentages are well below 50%. The exception: "around 52 percent of the respondents feel unaffected by the present administrative system."

So when did 'feeling unaffected by something' come to mean the same thing as favouring something?? I'm unaffected by the Boko Haram kidnappings, but I certainly don't favour them. Bizarre. [And I won't get into the question of equating 52% of survey respondents as an indication of the stance of "most people"].

• Like 2

i couldn't think of anything better either. I think the current PM is a good leader. He cares deeply about Thailand and Thai people similar to Franklin Roosevelt of America, chatting on the radio everynight back in the day. The current situation is the best for Thailand. Maintain stability and growth as the same time still have Democracy, freedom. I love true democracy and i know it is here in Thailand. Countries with the sickle and hammer are wasting time eventhough it failed and failed and failed and failed because the people have no rights, and you all know the rest, i don't have to say. I know sickle and hammer will go away but does it have to be any longer. 5 years, 10 more years of unnecessary.

Why are you going off about communism (sickle and hammer). What does that have to do with anything here?

As for Caesar Prayuth, "caring deeply" about one's country is not enough to be an effective leader. One also needs to have capability in the political sphere. "Chatting on the radio" does not cut it. [One could even say that it's better suited to the 1950s than the 21st Century, but that's another topic].

In other news at the moment, Prayuth is considering activating Article 44, which says: ""In cases where the head of the NCPO is of the opinion that it is necessary for the benefit of reform and to strengthen public unity and harmony, or for the prevention, disruption or suppression of any act which undermines public peace and order or national security, the monarchy, national economy or administration of state affairs, he shall have the power to make any order to disrupt or suppress regardless of the legislative, executive or judicial force of that order." Do you believe FDR would ever consider such a thing??

Edited by Docno
  • Like 2

'A let's-shoot-the-messenger kind o' guy, eh? Lol. Oh, I'm sure you'd be over the moon (i.e., the distant side of whatever...) for any poll showing a majority wanting PTP & Thaksin back, wouldn't you? Better luck next time.

"I love true democracy and i know it is here in Thailand."

You need to check the definition of democracy.

• Like 1

Sez those who preferred the old PTP abuse of power & rule-by-proxy regime...

What's it like to live with a binary mind? I imagine it must be quite dull and limited.

I have no preference for the PTP, I have a preference for elected governments and an aversion of military junta's. This may be too much for you to grasp, but just because people prefer democracy doesn't mean they support the PTP.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but democracy doesn't mean that you will always get the government you want. But it is self-correcting: a government that is not effective and does not meet the needs of the people will find itself out of power in the next round of elections. Democracy is not governance by a small band of men who think they have all the answers; it's governance according to the will of the people within the constraints of the constitution and the law.

• Like 2