7/11 Change Policy - whats the Deal ?

pattayasnowman

I wish they would all round up the .satang prices, cant stand that fiddly useless things, must be millions of them laying around in jars, bottles, ashtrays etc!

And no, it does not happen in any 7/11 i have been in - mores they pity!

They are doing it in Tesco Lotus also so must be the policy of the penny pinching Chinese owners CP Group. In the old days if your bill was say 682 Baht, the Samui shopkeeper would just ask for 680 Baht !

Yeah, .... they always do that, .... at Family Mart too! why have anything priced with satang if they are not going to give the proper change, ..like milk being 91.75 for 2 liters, .... I always look for items to bring my total to an even number of baht.

Another thing to watch out for, is getting short changed, ..... I have caught staff giving me the wrong amount of change, .... never too much though!!.... but like Backgammon players they never cheat, just miscount!

Check your receipt. More times than not, the receipt will reflect the correct amount. If it's correct then you can just ask for the small extra amount of money. More than likely, they don't have the small amount of change to give you. If you spoke Thai with them then you would know for sure.

In the States a lot of stores have a penny jar (small plate) by the till & people often leave their odd pennies of change there for anyone to use if they're short a penny or two on another occasion

There used to be containers of pennies(also often some nickels and dimes as well) like that in Canada. Then they discontinued the use of pennies, which I understand Australia did before Canada.

On a visit there last year, the stores roundedup in their favour so often that I eventually became annoyed enough to ask one clerk if the stores in Canada ever rounded down in the customer's favour...

Got a deer in the headlights look in return.

I always spend notes. When I get coins in change, I give them to my wife.

She has a coins purse and is happy to have the change.

Dirty horrid things that make holes in your pockets LOL

"Dirty horrid things that make holes in your pockets" - Hope you are talking about the coins.

I have noticed some places round. Don't even bother noticing if it is up or down. When I get satang change I rarely even take it home. I generally just leave it on the counter. Satangs are annoying to me. Don't recall ever paying with them for anything. Please abolish!

Save them up, and when you have enough pay the baht bus driver with them.

He always appreciates them.

I have noticed some places round. Don't even bother noticing if it is up or down. When I get satang change I rarely even take it home. I generally just leave it on the counter. Satangs are annoying to me. Don't recall ever paying with them for anything. Please abolish!

Good for tiddlywinks games w00t.gif

Save them up, and when you have enough pay the baht bus driver with them.

He always appreciates them.

You trying to get me killed?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I asked the Principal at our local school and he promises that he had nothing to do with it.

When you went their to see the principle did they loose face or does it not matter weather or not since it wouldn't effect then?

• Like 1

7-eleven in crossing to soi diana and soi lengkee, they like to fool me, not only that, but they ask very often for tips. lol

often forget to ask for a receipt, but they should give a receipt automatically to me.

-Newbie in paradise

I wish they would all round up the .satang prices, cant stand that fiddly useless things, must be millions of them laying around in jars, bottles, ashtrays etc!

And no, it does not happen in any 7/11 i have been in - mores they pity!

One day Lenny. cheerssmile.png

I use the 7-11 card most of the time. Solves the problem of change.

I just bought the card a month ago; and it certainly makes life easier.

But; I don't understand why it cost 190 Baht. It's just as much a help for them!?.

I use the 7-11 card most of the time. Solves the problem of change.

I just bought the card a month ago; and it certainly makes life easier.

But; I don't understand why it cost 190 Baht. It's just as much a help for them!?.

I don't recall paying for mine but I got the original about 5 years ago. It expired last September and they simply transferred the points onto a new one. Don't think I paid for it then either. Still have never used any of the points but for me it is not about that its simply a case of having a couple of hundred Baht stored on it for the odd occasions.

I also have a Rabbit card for the BTS which I keep a couple of hundred on as it is great not having to fiddle around for change or wait to use the ticket machines on my occasional visits to BKK.

I'm with you on this. It irritates the hell our of me so I now always make sure I have at least 75 satang in my pocket so they can no longer pull this crap.

There is no way this can be store policy. Thais just have a serious disdain or lack of respect for the satang. I don't even think they look at the satang as real money. They are lazy to refill their drawers with satang when they run out and they won't bother to fill it up if you are buying something and you need satang in change. Next time you are supposed to get change of .50 or .75 satang, make sure they round UP to the next baht. I guarantee you they won't unless you put up a fuss. Hell, if they can do it to you then you do it to them.

Also, if they do this enough then at the end of the night it may help them (a little) offset their shortage if they have a shortage.

I've had other stores do this, but it happens to me the most at 7/11's.

In the States a lot of stores have a penny jar (small plate) by the till & people often leave their odd pennies of change there for anyone to use if they're short a penny or two on another occasion

Good idea. But a jar of free coins would last about 2.4 seconds in Thailand.

How long do you reckon it would last in many cities in the US ? The 'Guide Dogs for the Blind' put hundreds of dog-shaped moneyboxes in shops all over Oz - extremely popular with thieves. As one of my co-workers was fond of saying 'People are shit'.

Good idea. But a jar of free coins would last about 2.4 seconds in Thailand.

I'm not so sure about that, I have been to a good few countries, and I have found more honesty in Thailand than anywhere else.

Rarely buy anything at 7-11 and don't recall if they round up, down or sideways but my local grocery store always gives exact change. I don't like coins in my pocket and used to leave the coppers on the counter. But after a while I figured out it was several baht I was leaving on the counter. Now I take all the coins and throw them in a jar. Every couple of months the wife exchanges all the coins at the local market including the coppers. The vendors get the change, the wife gets the paper and i don't have to carry it around. Everyone happy.

My 7-Eleven was doing that. All those 25 and 50 satangs at up in the day. It is a little trick the cashiers use to thieve a bit without actually thieving. The first couple of times I said nothing. Like most people, I thought maybe they had run out. Until I noticed it happening everytime I went in the store. I started to ask for it. After the second time, their cashier skills improved .

I always get satang at local 7Elevens. I always spend them and never have any spare. On principle I dislike being asked for an extra baht to pay for 0.25 or 0.5, and then not offered change.

I do not understand why upmarket stores like Foodland and Villa still charge the odd 25, 50 and 75 satangs. I can understand why it is done in the markets where the odd fraction of a baht might make a difference to a Thai on a budget.

Those odd 0.25, 0.50 and 0.75 add up to big money at the end of the day.... and you're missing the most important reason for using fractions. 89.75 is much cheaper than 90.00 to the casual shopper (for example). They're also very useful for price creep as they soften the blow.